Is there really such a thing as an exit watch?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:20 pm

I'm seeing the phrase "exit watch" being used frequently, and no offense to anybody, but I find it kind of odd. I can understand chasing down a grail and being happy with it indefinitely, but is that it? Elvis has left the building for good? I've been collecting watches for close to thirty years, and cannot express how much fun the hobby has been for me. From always learning something new and obtaining some great watches, to making good friends on sites like right here on DWC.

Of course life moves forward, and priorities change. Some may move on for good, but I don't think I'd ever be able to.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: Is there really such a thing as an exit watch?

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:25 pm

It's the watch you buy that causes your wife to show you this:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm

Well, that's a whole different meaning then.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure what it means. Watches interest me. I’ve really slowed down my buying and selling over the last couple of years or so, but I still enjoy the hobby. Hanging here, reading about new releases, giving my overly confident, underinformed opinion about things. Like that. It’s fun.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:28 pm

I've had several exit watches.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm

I think so. If I bought a Daydate and a solid gold Daytona I think I might be done.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:01 pm

I could “exit” with the 124060 Sub and be a happy man.

IF I were normal. But I’m not, so I can’t.

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:33 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm
I think so. If I bought a Daydate and a solid gold Daytona I think I might be done.
Great choices!

For me it would be a new off the shelf 18k blue sub under warranty and we are headed to the Caribbean.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:36 pm

smellody wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:33 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Great choices!

For me it would be a new off the shelf 18k blue sub under warranty and we are headed to the Caribbean.
I still want to finish my collection of five digits (just need an Explorer 1 and 2), then maybe a birth year sub (1979, so expensive but not yet insane) but after that a Tridor DD and a YG Daytona would probably be the end for me. And maybe an oysterquartz.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:53 pm

jeez, why bother with an exit watch when you can experience the thrill-ride and pleasures of getting screwed by asshats like Timepiece Gentlemen :raised:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

smellody

Post by smellody » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:55 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:36 pm
smellody wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Great choices!

I still want to finish my collection of five digits (just need an Explorer 1 and 2), then maybe a birth year sub (1979, so expensive but not yet insane) but after that a Tridor DD and a YG Daytona would probably be the end for me. And maybe an oysterquartz.
Nice. I picked up a never serviced 2001 explorer ii a month or so ago. It is nearing service completion by my watchmaker. I'm also working at picking up a really nice oysterquartz.

Drster had a tridor DD with pyramid dial that I still obsess over... I wish inhad picked it up.

smellody

Post by smellody » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:56 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:36 pm
smellody wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Great choices!

Nice. I picked up a never serviced 2001 explorer ii a month or so ago. It is nearing service completion by my watchmaker. I'm also working at picking up a really nice oysterquartz.

Drster had a tridor DD with pyramid dial that I still obsess over... I wish inhad picked it up.

aztecknight

Post by aztecknight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:46 pm

No, this was/is my exit watch? All it really does though is make me want to buy other watches, because I know I can always come home to this one.

smellody

Post by smellody » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:24 pm

aztecknight wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:46 pm
No, this was/is my exit watch? All it really does though is make me want to buy other watches, because I know I can always come home to this one.

That is one amazing watch!!!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:26 pm

the only thing that exits is money out of my wallet for said watch

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Yeah, it’s something made of platinum that I can never afford so I’ll never find the exit.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:31 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
smellody wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Great choices!

Highly recommend the birth year Sub. I bought mine last year, a 1971 Red Sub and have zero regrets. I believed it would be my exit watch, but yeah, I still keep looking and occasionally buying.

So no, no exit watch for me. But I have thought of selling multiple pieces to get that “one”. But that dream has died with the ridiculous surge in Royal Oak prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:10 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:31 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
smellody wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Great choices!

Highly recommend the birth year Sub. I bought mine last year, a 1971 Red Sub and have zero regrets. I believed it would be my exit watch, but yeah, I still keep looking and occasionally buying.

So no, no exit watch for me. But I have thought of selling multiple pieces to get that “one”. But that dream has died with the ridiculous surge in Royal Oak prices.

Not sure about the idea of an exit watch, but a birth year sub or an 1665 (1972) is definitely something I will be looking for once I can afford it (if ever).
- Mart -

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:29 pm

I used to think there was such a thing as an exit watch. I started down this rabbit hole a long time ago. I had my one watch, an Omega 2531.80 “Bond” Seamaster. I wore it every day for six years, then sent it in for service. Three round trips later, I was soured on it, sold it, and started looking for a replacement. I started looking around, watch boards, forums, etc. and fell down the rabbit hole at speed. I’m still looking for that one perfect watch. Now, if I could just figure out what that means…
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Seems my last watch was my exit watch as I’m too broke for another

A PM submariner could easily be an exit watch for me.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:10 pm

I thought there was an exit watch for me, and then I realized there really isn't one. As my taste changes, and new models are offered, I find that I don't have an exit watch, and I doubt I will. However, if circumstances determine I can only have one watch, it would be my 114060, that has served as a daily wearer for about a year and I could have that as an only watch.
Stephen

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm

I've actually started to plan for an exit watch although I've now got the itch for getting it sooner rather than later :lol:
The way I see it is that retirement is looming for me in less than two years time although I'll probably carry on working after state pension age. However, if I were to retire I'll only have a state pension to live on and watch buying will have to end, so an exit watch is certainly a reality for me.
Andy :uj:

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:30 pm

I’ve found theres really no such thing but I’m happy to keep trying to find the door.

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:37 pm

Found mine...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Mart -

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:05 am

I don't understand the exit watch theory. Been at this for over 20 years and I just enjoy trying out a new watch every 6 months or so. Don't even have a grail, I have been happy buying and flipping mostly in the sub $2k range, although more browsing and less flipping nowadays.

Have toyed with spending some serious money on a watch for years, but have been content with more modest pieces, not my thing I guess. Wish I had - a few key Rolex investments would have paid for the entire hobby and then some!