Speedy Pro question

Discussion of Omega watches.
KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Speedy Pro question

Post by KidKeith » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 am

Hey all,

Recently had my Speedy Pro 145.0022 serviced with Nesbit. Overall I'm happy, but I have a question about the manual wind crown. When I twist it to wind it the crown "screws back" a bit now with every twist. It's not a big deal to me. It just never did that before sending it in and I'm wondering if this is normal...

Thanks!

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Speedy Pro question

Post by dnslater » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:18 am

Don't have mine on today, but I have worn it a lot and don't recall the crown winding back after a twist. Maybe shoot Jan at Nesbit's an email. She is super responsive with questions/issues after service.

Curious if they had to do much case refinishing and how it looked before/after. I've used them in the past for a PO, and will probably use them when my Speedy Pro eventually needs service.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:20 am

Mine has never been serviced and it does the same thing. Only turns back a little bit. I never even noticed it until I read your post.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am

I've experienced something similar on past Speedies I've owned and other manual wind watches. I don't think it's out of the ordinary. My guess is they installed a new mainspring which is tighter than the old spring, so when you wind it, the resistance from the spring causes the crown to roll back a bit after each wind.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am

JBZ wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am
a new mainspring which is tighter than the old spring, so when you wind it, the resistance from the spring causes the crown to roll back a bit after each wind.
^^^I believe this is correct.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 am

Yep, normal.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:32 am

Wearing mine today and it does it. Funny, I had never noticed it :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks all!

Glad to hear it is normal. Nesbit did replace the spring (they sent me the old one with some other replaced odds and ends). Very happy with the service. Replaced the crystal as well. The new one has the tiniest Omega symbol in the center. The old one didn't have that either. All in all it looks great.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:40 am

Yep, just add on, I’ve had a few speedmaaters that exhibited the same action when winding.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Now I have to go home and check.... have wound mine hundreds of times and never noticed!

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:19 pm

It's not the main spring. It would have to go through a gear train to move the crown, not likely. It's the o-ring seal. Your old one was burnished and needed replacing. The new just has more "spring" to it. If you wind it and hold it for a while, the o-ring will spring back while you hold and you won't see any movement. Movement is a sign your o-ring is still supple and sealing. That's not to say if it doesn't move it's bad.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Safetystop wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:19 pm
It's not the main spring. It would have to go through a gear train to move the crown, not likely. It's the o-ring seal. Your old one was burnished and needed replacing. The new just has more "spring" to it. If you wind it and hold it for a while, the o-ring will spring back while you hold and you won't see any movement. Movement is a sign your o-ring is still supple and sealing. That's not to say if it doesn't move it's bad.
I did not know this but makes perfect sense.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Safetystop wrote:It's not the main spring. It would have to go through a gear train to move the crown, not likely. It's the o-ring seal. Your old one was burnished and needed replacing. The new just has more "spring" to it. If you wind it and hold it for a while, the o-ring will spring back while you hold and you won't see any movement. Movement is a sign your o-ring is still supple and sealing. That's not to say if it doesn't move it's bad.
A man who knows his Speedmasters. :clap:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:33 am

Safetystop wrote:
Makes sense to me - I was just spitballing.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 am

Safetystop wrote:
Boom - fkn speedmaster Yoda!

Hope you are well my friend! :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM