Post by four20 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Reporter interviews the mayor. Is that a Tudor shield on the clasp?Image

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re:

Post by JBZ » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Seems unlikely since Jaws was released in 1975. Not a Tudor expert, but their bracelets from that era probably had a Rolex logo.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re:

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Old Heuer bracelet?

They had that shield shape going on back then.

dukerules

Re:

Post by dukerules » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:02 pm

My favorite movie of all time. Isn't that Peter Benchley? Don't think he was wearing a Tudor, and although I think he had a Rolex sponsorship shortly after Jaws, that does not look like a Rolex oyster bracelet.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re:

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Another clip I saw of him on the beach showed a black faced dial but the cuff obscured what it was. Another clue.

The clasp has the same look and orientation of a Tudor shield, but i'm relatively certain they all had the coronet at this time. And I think the Tudor shield was closer to the center of the foil clasp (not close to the edge) once Tudor started to integrate their own branding, but that was much later.

Might be a better topic for WUS general forum... A lot more eyes there.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Re: Re:

Post by JBZ » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:02 pm
My favorite movie of all time. Isn't that Peter Benchley? Don't think he was wearing a Tudor, and although I think he had a Rolex sponsorship shortly after Jaws, that does not look like a Rolex oyster bracelet.
Benchley definitely played the reporter on the beach. Not sure whether that’s his arm in the shot, but seems likely.

Asking WUS seems like a good idea. Maybe they’ve even already discussed this over there.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Re:

Post by Steve O. » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:07 am

I believe that it's an Accutron JB Champion bracelet. Blurred Tudor "shield" could actually be Accutron tuning fork logo. Also note curve of top of clasp and line, or lines, down middle of links in film footage.

Pic lifted from net. Now I want to watch Jaws...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Re:

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 am

Whoa, unbelievable detective work here Steve, and all you guys actually ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yeah, now I want to see jaws again now too to be honest. :grin: THX very much Erik !!!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Re:

Post by JBZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:53 am

Just to add some more incredibly non-definitive info, here's the best shot I could find of Benchley as the reporter from the movie. Whatever watch he's wearing can barely be seen:

And here's a shot of a scene he filmed with Richard Dreyfess but which didn't make the movie. Based on this, it looks like it was his arm in the shot with the mayor but, again, can't really make out the watch other than the bracelet.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Re:

Post by JBZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:56 am

And here's one of the more intriguing Jaws related mysteries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 923860002/

mvyadam
Masshole
Name: Adam

Post by mvyadam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 am

JBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:53 am
Just to add some more incredibly non-definitive info, here's the best shot I could find of Benchley as the reporter from the movie. Whatever watch he's wearing can barely be seen:

And here's a shot of a scene he filmed with Richard Dreyfess but which didn't make the movie. Based on this, it looks like it was his arm in the shot with the mayor but, again, can't really make out the watch other than the bracelet.

HA! I was there on at least 2 of those days, waaay in the background, but we got bored ( as do all 6 yr olds) with all the sitting around between takes, so my friend's parents stopped taking us for the final few days of shooting those 4th of July scenes. A kid in my class, Jay Mello, played Brody's younger son and got paid pretty well for 1974 :lol: As far as watches go, it's pretty much been determined that the "Hooper watch" was an Alsta, maybe even bought locally for $25 or so, I remember 3 different drug stores that sold watches back then, I bought a Sheffield diver and a couple quartz Helbros's Ithink, in the early 80's in high school.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am

mvyadam wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 am
JBZ wrote:

HA! I was there on at least 2 of those days, waaay in the background, but we got bored ( as do all 6 yr olds) with all the sitting around between takes, so my friend's parents stopped taking us for the final few days of shooting those 4th of July scenes. A kid in my class, Jay Mello, played Brody's younger son and got paid pretty well for 1974 :lol: As far as watches go, it's pretty much been determined that the "Hooper watch" was an Alsta, maybe even bought locally for $25 or so, I remember 3 different drug stores that sold watches back then, I bought a Sheffield diver and a couple quartz Helbros's Ithink, in the early 80's in high school.
Given that the Hooper watch wasn't a really well known watch brand compared to the big boys, I always figured someone in the crew said, "this guy really should be wearing a dive watch" and sent a go-fer out to buy whatever they could find at a reasonable price. Cool info on your classmate!

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:00 am

mvyadam wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 am
A kid in my class, Jay Mello, played Brody's younger son and got paid pretty well for 1974 :lol:
he's probably still getting paid. residuals are the bomb in that business and that movie never goes out of style.

dukerules

Re: "Amity, as you know, means friendship"

Post by dukerules » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 am

For my money, it's the greatest movie ever made. Seriously.

dukerules

Re: "Amity, as you know, means friendship"

Post by dukerules » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 am

mvyadam wrote:
JBZ wrote:

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

mvyadam
Masshole
Name: Adam

Re:

Post by mvyadam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 am

Yeah, it was fun here back then....that kid now owns a general store in Vt, the kid who played his older brother (Chris Rebello) unfortunately had a heart attack and passed away hunting deer in '99,.I still see "the young Kintner boy" Jeff Vorhees, every Friday night at one of the bars we go to where he's a manager, its mostly the locals in the movie that show up to the Jaws-fest thing they do every few years, Dreyfus and Spielberg never bothered to come back here :lol:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:02 am

mvyadam wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 am
Yeah, it was fun here back then....that kid now owns a general store in Vt, the kid who played his older brother (Chris Rebello) unfortunately had a heart attack and passed away hunting deer in '99,.I still see "the young Kintner boy" Jeff Vorhees, every Friday night at one of the bars we go to where he's a manager, its mostly the locals in the movie that show up to the Jaws-fest thing they do every few years, Dreyfus and Spielberg never bothered to come back here :lol:
I went to Jawsfest in 2012. It was interesting to say the least. My wife is a marine biologist because of that movie, so I kinda got dragged up there for it.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Re:

Post by Steve O. » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Another Jaws watch - Chief Brody's Hamilton cld. May not have been as water resistant as Hooper's!

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin