Hemlig Prototype 1st Impressions

Discussion of microbrand watches
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Hemlig Prototype 1st Impressions

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:54 am

I really appreciate it when brand owners like Todd allow general watch enthusiasts the opportunity to preview one of their watches. It shows a level of confidence in his product that is well-placed with this new Karlskrona Hemlig.

I'm usually up for taking a prototype out and doing some "stress testing" with it, such as taking it surfing in some pounding hurricane enhanced waves, but Todd let me know this prototype was a 1 of 1 and I needed to be a little more gentle than my normal knucklehead self.

That said, I have taken my "general release" Hemlig out surfing numerous times and am confident this new version will hold up just fine.

So, instead of surfing, I took the prototype out for an evening in Portsmouth and around the neighborhood over the weekend.

First, next to my OG Hemlig:
Hemlig P2.jpg
You immediately notice the Prototype's aluminum bezel is much "blacker" and the numbers are a much bolder print than the ceramic bezel insert on the original. I like this look over the ceramic. I know many folks will argue the technical merits of ceramic over aluminum, but I just think the aluminum suits the style of this watch better.
Hemlig P6.jpg
The Hemlig case wears very well even on my skinny wrists. You can see the lumen blocks on the black dial here. There is no lumen on the bezel, but again, that is fine considering the nature of this watch. This design was definitely built around the directive of being readable "at a glance".

The prototype does away with the red tip on the second hand. I don't think this influences legibility at all.
Hemlig P1.jpg
The Hemlig Prototype heading out to dinner. If ever in Portsmouth, I recommend Cafe Mediterraneo's lobster ravioli with a nice glass of chianti.
Hemlig P3.jpg
...and you definitely need a walk around town after that meal.
Hemlig P4.jpg
another shot from this morning just to get a look at it in natural light
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryeguy

Re: Hemlig Prototype 1st Impressions

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:55 am

Here's one more from this morning just to see it in natural light
Hemlig P5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Post by Morethan1 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:00 am

Looks good

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:04 pm

No food pics?

The town background looks like a great place.
The Hapa

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:14 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:04 pm
No food pics?

HA! If I known you wanted food pics, I should've ordered something with spinach. I can make lobster ravioli disappear so quick you need high speed film! :lol:

Yes, Portsmouth NH is a cool little town. It is kind of like a mini Boston's North End with lots of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs.

There used to be a fantastic music scene here years ago, centering around a little bar called The Elvis Room. The Dropkick Murphys got their start around here and Al Barr still lives down the street from me. He used to be the singer for a local band called The Bruisers.

Last edited by Ryeguy on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:14 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:04 pm
No food pics?

HA! If I known you wanted food pics, I should've ordered something with spinach. I can make lobster ravioli disappear so quick you need high speed film! :lol:

Yes, Portsmouth NH is a cool little town. It is kind of like a mini Boston's North End with lots of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs.

There used to be a fantastic music scene here years ago, centering around a little bar called The Elvis Room. The Dropkick Murphys got there start around here and Al Barr still lives down the street from me. He used to be the singer for a local band called The Bruisers.

Great sound! Would love to be able to catch some tunes like that.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 pm

I agree. Second gen looks better. Send it to me to compare against the Paradong.

watches503
Name: Luis

Post by watches503 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:19 am

Looks pretty perfect to me. Low key sweet eye candy that nobody else will notice, but it’ll make you stare at it many times throughout the day. Thanks for sharing.

Was the issue with big gap between lug holes and case handled ? I would probably wear it on grey and military green canvas, so I gotta ask. I got countless NATO’s but haven’t used in years.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:11 am

watches503 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:19 am
Looks pretty perfect to me. Low key sweet eye candy that nobody else will notice, but it’ll make you stare at it many times throughout the day. Thanks for sharing.

Was the issue with big gap between lug holes and case handled ? I would probably wear it on grey and military green canvas, so I gotta ask. I got countless NATO’s but haven’t used in years.

Hi Luis,
The lug gap was definitely more pronounced than I had wanted on the Baltic and Nordic Shield cases. I don't think the Hemlig cases were affected and I tried to keep the spacing with the drilled lug holes balanced to fit both Nato style straps as well as other dive straps.

Best,
Todd

watches503

Post by watches503 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 am

Bradystraps wrote:
watches503 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:19 am

Hi Luis,
The lug gap was definitely more pronounced than I had wanted on the Baltic and Nordic Shield cases. I don't think the Hemlig cases were affected and I tried to keep the spacing with the drilled lug holes balanced to fit both Nato style straps as well as other dive straps.

Best,
Todd
Thanks for your reply. You did awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 am

Have to agree, the prototype looks perfect already, and I hope the finished
version looks just like it. :excited: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I mean it captures that classic Type 1
feel perfectly really, and you know the quality is there to match the looks. :salute:
That is one thing you can't always count on. Even if was the vintage original.
But if the prototype is already leaving you in awe. That is saying something
I think. ..Saying that this one is pretty spectacular ! :clap:

And have to say, that something else spectacular, is that you got to have
fun with this watch like this, and give us this ultra cool review !!!

Thanks a bunch Chris, AND Todd !!

DatN
Name: Rob

Post by DatN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:42 pm

Well, I got sloppy seconds and it didn’t disappoint. First thing I have noticed is how light it feels on the wrist. Given the blasted finish, it looks (and feels) like it’s made of titanium. I know this is supposed to be a “nato watch”, but I could only take that look for a few minutes to take a quick picture. I switched it to the thinnest canvas strap I had to show the fantastic placement of the lugs.
Pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks, guys. I am glad you both enjoyed your brief time with the LE! One thing I did work hard on was getting the "wearability" correct. I feel there is nothing better than a watch that doesn't burden the wrist nor needs to be constantly adjusted to be comfortable. I think the LE on a lightweight Nato or canvas strap achieves this goal.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:11 pm

This was the perfect opportunity to try this case shape as I have had other asymmetrical cases but not this particular one and it does not disappoint.

This has a lot of parts working together such as the heft and solidity of the case, the (bead blasted?) finish, matte bezel and dial, all working together for a great visual and wearing experience.

I appreciated the subtle Trident logos: one on the buckle, 6:00 side nato hardware and on the dial....which show in the direct light but you have to look for them to see them, and I like that. Obviously very legible and strong lume, too.

120 click bezel that aligns perfectly.

Personally, ymmv, I love the diffraction at certain angles of the crystal - you can see in a picture below

The moment I took it out of the case I was impressed and after a couple of days wearing the Hemlig, I am still impressed.

Sunrise:

Hangin out:

Distortion from the crystal and Trident

Outstanding Lume

and finally, Sunset

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:41 am

Thank you for the review and pics, Mike. Glad you like it! :thumbsup:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:16 am

Nice pics Mike. Good looking watch.

I like how Matt G did a tough quartz movement in his Diver-1. While I appreciate automatic movements, a watch like this would be well served by a durable, shock resistant quartz motor with long battery life. It would be an ideal grab & go. Better still if the seconds hand would hit the markers.

Frankly, I love my Benrus reissue, but I’d love it more if it met the above.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:08 am

Update: The initial testing and pass-around of the Prototype has gone very well and exceeded my expectations. Still, I am reviewing a number of fine-tuning tweaks and then plan to open up the Pre-order.
The first 25 spots will be reserved for forum member here.

More to come soon!

Best,
Todd

watches503

Post by watches503 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 pm

hoppyjr wrote:Nice pics Mike. Good looking watch.

I like how Matt G did a tough quartz movement in his Diver-1. While I appreciate automatic movements, a watch like this would be well served by a durable, shock resistant quartz motor with long battery life. It would be an ideal grab & go. Better still if the seconds hand would hit the markers.

What automatic watches have you damaged during which activities ?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:36 pm

watches503 wrote:

Busted two automatics gettin’ jiggy with your mom and sister. ImageImageImage

…..but that’s not my point, I just think it would work very well with a solid quartz motor.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:07 am

watches503 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 pm

I can say I have damaged a few working for the railroad. Hard knocks on metal surfaces aren’t very forgiving. As I have this watch right now I’ve gotten the chance to see how the case fits and it’s perfect. I likely will want to get one and would likely wear it daily, though a quartz option at that point would be a no brainer for me. I still need to take more pictures to share but it just got here last night and I’ll be heading out to work soon. I did put it on a ToxicNATO. The included NATO is very nice quality, but I think the softness of the Toxic wraps around my wrist a bit better. I wasn’t sure about the asymmetric case, but after seeing it in person it just works. Such a smooth design.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Took plenty more pictures today. After getting to wear it more the majority of the day I’d say you’d be hard pressed to find a more comfortable watch. It’s surprisingly light and combined with a NATO it just wears perfectly. I’ve never tried the ceramic bezel version, but I can say that the aluminum insert is perfect. I’ve always avoided 12 hour bezels as I just preferred the look of 60 minute bezels, though now after seeing it in person on this style in particular I really like the 12 hour. It just feels cleaner and I can still use it for timing and it is much easier to track a second time zone.

The logo on the dial is just cool. Most of the time you don’t notice it, but when you do it has a really cool glossy black effect over one of the darkest matte black dials I’ve ever seen. It’s good, very good. I usually can find a detail or two I don’t like about a watch, but I fail to come up with anything here. It’s a very clean, classic design and it’s done exceptionally well here.

The OE NATO hardware is an excellent touch with the bead blasted case. I really like the logo on the buckle.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:09 pm

Great pics and impressions. Can’t wait until my turn. This is cool AF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:32 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:09 pm
Great pics and impressions. Can’t wait until my turn. This is cool AF.

Are you on the list? I thought I was the last one. I did message Todd about where it is going next and when. My schedule from this week forward keeps me occupied at business hours during the week and I was trying not to steal it for too long.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 pm

I better be! Haha I sent him an email and signed up for it.

Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 am

manitoujoe wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 pm
I better be! Haha I sent him an email and signed up for it.

I’m coordinating the hand off. Sorry guys… I’m getting old. 🤣