ARES Newsletter

Discussion of microbrand watches
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

ARES Newsletter

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:02 am

Welcome to the ARES Newsletter! It’s now mid February and ARES has been in business a little over two years. If I haven’t said it to you yet: thank you for supporting me. Thank you for choosing to become part of the ARES family. The last two years have been full of challenge and growth, and I’m excited about what we’ve accomplished at ARES and look forward to our future endeavors.

The DIVER-1 quartz debuted in November of 2018 in a small batch of 300 pieces; in the last two years, six variations and an additional model, the Global Mission Timer, have been introduced. I have challenged myself since day one to bring as much manufacturing and finishing capability as possible under one roof and am excited to say that we are closer to that than we’ve ever been. This fall, we have been in collaboration to manufacture the steel components of the DIVER-1 here in the Pacific Northwest -just fifteen minutes from our HQ. This integration allows me to bring new ARES Mission Timer innovations to you on a shorter timescale, from design inception to watchmaker completion.

The DIVER-1 and GMT will be joined this year by two new models: the DIVER-1X and the GMT “EXPED-1”. The DIVER-1X has been in robust test and evaluation with operational groups for most of the past year, and we are excited to bring it to your wrist Summer ’21. Right now, I can tease that it maintains our familiar DIVER-1 case and a depth rating exceeding 7000-meters. Stay tuned for more updates later this spring.

The EXPED-1 is a variant of our GMT that will be featured in the Explorer’s Grand Slam - a combination of the seven Summits and both Poles - and will be released later in the year. The GMT EXPED-1 will feature fundamental design changes to further enhance the ability of extreme adventurers and their environment.

My job as owner and creator of ARES is to surround myself with the most talented individuals I can find, and to allow them freedom to dream and create. It’s under that stewardship that I brought ARES’ first full-time watch maker - Alena - onboard last spring and are thankful every day that she is a part of what we’re building. Her ability, vision, compassion and sass fit the culture well.

Our challenge at ARES is to create mission timers that enhance your life. One way we complete our task is through providing Support. This year we are able to support multiple entertainment projects, a global expedition, and provide financial assistance and support to The Best Ranger Competition, The Partner Force Match, and the Combat Dive Foundation. Each of these projects is near and dear to us and we are honored to provide our small part towards their success. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors this year: we’ll be there to support them!

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: ARES Newsletter

Post by demer03 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:40 am

I need to get another one some day.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:20 am

mattcantwin wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:02 am
The DIVER-1X has been in robust test and evaluation with operational groups for most of the past year, and we are excited to bring it to your wrist Summer ’21. Right now, I can tease that it maintains our familiar DIVER-1 case and a depth rating exceeding 7000-meters.
Saw MG’s email late yesterday as well. Mines is great. I’d like to see some rumble room shots of this one under evaluation (cough, Paul, cough)

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:17 am

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone need a watch with a depth rating of 7000m? According to a quick Google search:

The deepest dive on record is 1,082 feet (332 meters) set by Ahmed Gabr in 2014. That depth is the equivalent to approximately 10 NBA basketball courts aligned vertically. In terms of pressure, that's about 485 pounds per square inch. Most people's lungs would be crushed at that depth.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

ARES Newsletter

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:22 am

It looks like Matt’s version of the Sinn UX. Since he’s calling it diver 1X it makes sense too.

I hope that having an in-house watchmaker resolves some of the QC issues that some of us experienced.

I happened to be wearing my D-1 today and about the only thing that I could wish for that this doesn’t have is a captive bezel. I had one that the bezel just came off when I was using it normally, and Matt did take care of that, But had there been a way to do a captive one it will offer more peace of mind.

The new model as posted on Instagram.

TSD

Post by TSD » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:22 am
It looks like Matt’s version of the Sinn UX. Since he’s calling it diver 1X it makes sense too.
Ahh, oil filled.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 am

Eh. Not a fan of the play on the UX name or the oil-filled watch. Sinn does it well, and they’re probably the only ones I’d trust to buy an oil-filled watch from.

I don’t think I want to be part of the experimentation process with a new brand on aftermarket support for that tech.
:htfu:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:36 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 am
Eh. Not a fan of the play on the UX name or the oil-filled watch. Sinn does it well, and they’re probably the only ones I’d trust to buy an oil-filled watch from.

I don’t think I want to be part of the experimentation process with a new brand on aftermarket support for that tech.
I've got a cheap oil filled watch and haven't had any issues. Only real challenge I see is ensuring that the motor has enough torque to compensate for the added resistance provided by the oil. Mine does tend to lack the accuracy expected in a quartz over time. Hopefully Matt can get that right. Price on these will be interesting as the diver 1 variants are already pushing the envelope a bit on price for a quartz.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

ARES Newsletter

Post by BBK357 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:38 pm

If he prices his oil filled similar to Sinn he’s throwing a Hail Mary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:48 pm

Their watches are so so cool Matt !! 8-) 8-)

Yeah,there’s this real Sinn feel with their watches, along with
some Kobold in there maybe. Honestly think they are something
different, but just familiar, or traditional enough sir. And the
people behind the brand sound nice too ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Really appreciate the news sir !!!