Bohen

Discussion of microbrand watches
Elmero
Name: Elmero

Bohen

Post by Elmero » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:14 am

Hello all!

I finally came to introduce myself and to present something I think hasn't been presented here yet.

I've been lurking the forum for a long time now, learning and discovering new and interesting diving watches here.

To this day, the diving watches in collection are: Damasko DSub1, Orient Saturation Diver, Aquadive Poseidon, Tactico TC2 Expedition, also have a Crepas Megamatic incoming ("patiently" waiting for it...just a few months to go now) Today I'm wearing the OSD on a yellow ISOfrane:
osd.jpg
I recently stumbled upon a new diving watches micro brand from France called Bohen. Since I haven't seen much (or any) talk about them, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing from them, I wanted to bring them to your attention and hear your thoughts.

https://en.bohen-watches.com/montres

As I said, I like what I'm seeing (Swiss Made, great design -although subjective-, quality materials...) but I feel they're overdoing text (in the dial of one of their models and all over the lugs and dial on the other one), which might be a common thing when trying to "advertise" a new product qualities, but ends up giving just the opposite impression. Apart from that, I also feel like the 47+mm diameter of one of their models (StarDiver) is too much... I know there are many who like their diver's to be "chunky" and "big"... but somehow 47+ seems like overkill to me.

So...hope I'm bringing something of interest to the forum and to spark some exchange of views and opinions.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Re: Bohen

Post by gonzomantis » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am

On the main page, for English, there's is a heading called, "Our Strenghts"

I guess attention to detail isn't one. :lol:

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 am

They must have designed this watch on the highway because that’s where most accidents happen.

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:09 am

nweash wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 am
They must have designed this watch on the highway because that’s where most accidents happen.
Care to elaborate?

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:16 am

gonzomantis wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
On the main page, for English, there's is a heading called, "Our Strenghts"

I guess attention to detail isn't one. :lol:
:lol:
I guess English isn't one of their strengths, but they're not selling dictionaries (CREPAS webpage and communiqués come to mind...awful English, but they've made some nice watches) and I, for one, appreciate the effort put into offering an English version (typos and orthographic errors included) for the people who, like me, can't read French. How's your French? I'm guessing the French version should be much better, as that's where the brand is based.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Welcome to DWC :cheers:

Love the Orient
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:03 pm

I like the orient better than the bohom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Welcome to DWC! Great start with an intro thread.

We are a community of men that find solace on watches and the Happy Birthday threads posted here... and the photos that Ben and Terry send once in a while... And the pictures of the hot girlfriends /wife of newbies...

If you can endure the initiation, you will love this place.

The Orient is nice and you have some nice watches in your collection, would love to see more pictures.
Elmero wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:09 am
nweash wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 am
Care to elaborate?
That it sucks. Yes, we are also very opinionated here (and we are always right).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Fri May 01, 2020 5:46 am

Well, many thanks for welcoming me!

Sounds like a fun place to be! I'll do my best to endure the initiation! :grin:
Joeprez wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:30 pm
That it sucks. Yes, we are also very opinionated here (and we are always right).
Thanks! I figured that much... I would really like to know what makes it suck. You're all very opinionated? I'd like to know those opinions, I want to learn. Maybe you guys are seeing/paying attention to stuff I'm not. Especially being a new micro brand, as I'm not really experienced in them, apart from Crepas/tactico (have a TC2 Exp and had an El Buzo and stupidly flipped it... I know... :banghead: ) and a Dreadnought, which I liked, but never really convinced me...but, they were all "safe bets" within the micro world.

Anyhow, good to be here!

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Fri May 01, 2020 5:50 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:14 pm
Welcome to DWC :cheers:

Love the Orient
Thanks! :cheers:

I love it too, it's a great watch! The only thing that would make me flip it would be a white dialed OSD

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri May 01, 2020 7:32 am

Elmero wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:46 am
I would really like to know what makes it suck. You're all very opinionated? I'd like to know those opinions, I want to learn. Maybe you guys are seeing/paying attention to stuff I'm not. Especially being a new micro brand, as I'm not really experienced in them, apart from Crepas/tactico (have a TC2 Exp and had an El Buzo and stupidly flipped it... I know... :banghead: ) and a Dreadnought, which I liked, but never really convinced me...but, they were all "safe bets" within the micro world.

Anyhow, good to be here!
Welcome to the forum. My advice is remember that advice is only worth what you paid for it and in this case - nothing! :lol:

Bottom line, style/design comes down to personal preferences. One thing you can get good advice on in forums is quality of a build. :cheers:
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Fri May 01, 2020 8:48 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:32 am
Welcome to the forum. My advice is remember that advice is only worth what you paid for it and in this case - nothing! :lol:

Bottom line, style/design comes down to personal preferences. One thing you can get good advice on in forums is quality of a build. :cheers:
Thanks!

Totally agree, style/design are almost 100% subjective and to each their own. It's the opinions on the objective part of these watches (or any other, for that matter), that I'm interested in. Like: materials, complications/lack of complications, movement selection and other technical data...

:cheers:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am

Hey Elmero!

Glad to see that you've stick around.

To start on the Bohen watches, I'm not a big fan of micros... I've had several, but after a while I started reading about micro brands that disappeared and the owners of the watches were not able to have their watches serviced by anyone (mostly because there were no parts available). There are some great micros and small brands out there, but you just have to be careful (and don't get me started on pre-orders or kickstarter watches). That alone let me to put my "micro watch money" into Seiko or Citizen... established brands with tons of dive watch models that you can also customize "to make it your own" if you are into that (I am). On top of that, most micro brand designs are very derivative of other watches.

Regarding the Bohen watches, they are both extremely big, I don't like cyclops (I think there is a metal surround on the crystal for the cyclops... that could be knocked off very easily from the crystal), no lume on the seconds hand (if you care about ISO standards for a dive watch), there is a bunch of really big and unnecessary text on both models at "6". The "9" on the StarDiver is HUGE!! Oh, and both have 26mm lug width (so no Isofranes).

For that kind of money, I think you can do so much better with other brands. If you're looking for a big dive watch at that price point, I would check Sinn U1, a Damasko, Seiko Tuna (or any other from the Prospex line), Citizen (there is a recent thread in the forum about some new nice models), Aquadive, Stowa Prodiver, used Doxa, used Aegir, used SAS (those last two could be difficult to find... regret selling the ones I had). Also used to like Helson Watches, but not sure how they are doing in terms of reliability and customer service.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Fri May 01, 2020 10:45 am

Yeah, that's a guido watch for sure. It's probably a plus that the HEV is labeled "valve," so a guido wouldn't mistake it for the passenger seat ejection button. Elmero, if you're not familiar with what a guido is, see below.

No, it's not Tourettes.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am
Hey Elmero!

To start on the Bohen watches, I'm not a big fan of micros... I've had several, but after a while I started reading about micro brands that disappeared and the owners of the watches were not able to have their watches serviced by anyone (mostly because there were no parts available). There are some great micros and small brands out there, but you just have to be careful (and don't get me started on pre-orders or kickstarter watches). That alone let me to put my "micro watch money" into Seiko or Citizen... established brands with tons of dive watch models that you can also customize "to make it your own" if you are into that (I am). On top of that, most micro brand designs are very derivative of other watches.

Regarding the Bohen watches, they are both extremely big, I don't like cyclops (I think there is a metal surround on the crystal for the cyclops... that could be knocked off very easily from the crystal), no lume on the seconds hand (if you care about ISO standards for a dive watch), there is a bunch of really big and unnecessary text on both models at "6". The "9" on the StarDiver is HUGE!! Oh, and both have 26mm lug width (so no Isofranes).

For that kind of money, I think you can do so much better with other brands. If you're looking for a big dive watch at that price point, I would check Sinn U1, a Damasko, Seiko Tuna (or any other from the Prospex line), Citizen (there is a recent thread in the forum about some new nice models), Aquadive, Stowa Prodiver, used Doxa, used Aegir, used SAS (those last two could be difficult to find... regret selling the ones I had). Also used to like Helson Watches, but not sure how they are doing in terms of reliability and customer service.

Agreed. Short version for me? Overstyled, function following form, a watch designed to be seen by others, a watch made by people who want to sell watches to people who don’t know anything about watches. I could go on.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Sat May 02, 2020 6:35 am

ChuckW wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:45 am
Yeah, that's a guido watch for sure. It's probably a plus that the HEV is labeled "valve," so a guido wouldn't mistake it for the passenger seat ejection button. Elmero, if you're not familiar with what a guido is, see below.

Haha! Totally agree! I hate all that text.

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Sat May 02, 2020 6:55 am

Joeprez wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am
Hey Elmero!

Still here Joe!

I've kept my distance from micros for mostly the same reasons. Personally don't like Seiko, but love Orient instead and love Citizen.

Yeah, I really don't get why make the watches so big. Regarding the cyclops, as far as I understand, the loupe is on the inner side of the crystal...can't really say I like it (or need it, so far...) You're absolutely right about the lack of lume on the seconds hand! I hadn't noticed it...that's a big no. Agreed on the text...waaaaaay too much.

I have to say: I'm not looking into getting a Bohen... let's just say that finding them made me willing to put more attention to micro brands. I mean, there's a lot I don't like about the Bohens, but the fact that they're apparently not using the classic technique of mixing and matching over-the-counter pieces as many (most?) micros do, made me think more favorably of any micro trying to do something original and I'm certainly now more willing to pay attention to newer, interesting micros around.

Will check Aegir and SAS. Don't really care for the Stowa; LOVE my Aquadive (currently chasing a BS500); liked Doxa, but hated that the bezel is a scratch magnet, so flipped it; Always thought the Sinn U1 too big and now interested on their new U50; Overall like my Damasko DSub1, but it has the worse lume EVER and it needs a bracelet, which is taking them way too long to produce and I'm getting tired of waiting for it.

Have a great weekend!

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 am

Henryj wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 pm
Agreed. Short version for me? Overstyled, function following form, a watch designed to be seen by others, a watch made by people who want to sell watches to people who don’t know anything about watches. I could go on.
Hey!

Could you point me to some interesting, form following function, micro-brand watches you like? As explained above...I tried to stay away from micros but recently started paying a little more attention.

Cheers!

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 am

Scurfa

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 am

gonzomantis wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 am
Scurfa
Thanks! Will look into them with attention to detail soon. Before doing that, and at first glance, they all kinda look the same.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Elmero, welcome ! :clap: :thumbsup: Sounds like you have an incredible
collection, and that Orient is awesome ! :headbang: Actually think
that Bohen is as well, and it's nice to see them trying something a
little different. I mean they are still paying tribute to classic dive
watches. But the bold bullhead style, dial, and even innovation
with the date is great imho.

Honestly like them a lot, and think they are definitely interesting,
along with fun to see. Thank you !!!

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am

AtomicTom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 am

Hi, thanks! :salute:

Glad to see a different opinion! As I said when I opened this thread: I overall like both watches BUT think they're overdoing the text (to a point where it feels overstyled and craving attention) and size.

I too like they're doing (or trying to do) something a bit different...I feel there's potential for some great watches, but there's still much to polish. Guess I'll be paying attention to their development.

:cheers: Cheers!

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu May 07, 2020 5:37 pm

Elmero wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am
AtomicTom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 am

Hi, thanks! :salute:

Glad to see a different opinion! As I said when I opened this thread: I overall like both watches BUT think they're overdoing the text (to a point where it feels overstyled and craving attention) and size.

I too like they're doing (or trying to do) something a bit different...I feel there's potential for some great watches, but there's still much to polish. Guess I'll be paying attention to their development.

:cheers: Cheers!
Hi Elmero, the thanks goes to you there ! :)

Yes sir, think you are right. :thumbsup: Bohen seems to be going all in
on being aggressive. With the watches feeling like a mix between
a muscle car, and a space ship. It’s really cool to see because they
do a little bit of everything style wise. But bold, or being bold is
the name of the game that is for sure.

Will definitely be fun to watch them in the coming years.

Elmero

Post by Elmero » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am

Hi, all!
It's been a while and I hope you're all doing OK.
So, the first prototype has been produced and Bohen has started sharing the first real photos of the "Mille Mer" and thought to share them here. Let's see what you think of it. To me, there's still too much text on the dial, but that's not a deal breaker for me.
According to the newsletter, Blaise, the owner and designer, didn't like the prototype's bracelet heft (it was too light) and also decided to make some modifications to the handset.
I think it's coming together nicely.
189270430_419418323046670_9023682685432618134_n.jpg
195481403_10159096561589223_6592585557022735353_n.jpg
194968396_10159096560809223_7656102054498431704_n.jpg
193169902_420024766319359_2605641109837030177_n.jpg
189270430_419418323046670_9023682685432618134_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:46 pm

the case looks like a ninja star