Negotiating prices at retail?

Discussion of Seiko watches
ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Negotiating prices at retail?

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:22 am

Has anybody negotiated the sales price of a new Seiko from a Seiko dealer like at a department store? Is that a thing? I know it’s common with brands that are sold by jewelers, but I was curious about retail settings such as department stores that typically carry Seiko products.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Negotiating prices at retail?

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:11 am

I kind of doubt you’ll be able to negotiate a price at a department store. The employees who work there probably don’t have any authority to adjust the price or knowledge about the unit cost / required profit margin.

Maybe a manager could adjust the price, but I’m guessing they could only price match a competitor’s offer.

That said, I’ve also never attempted to haggle while at the counter of a department store. I encourage you to attempt it and have someone record the interaction. You could be the next YouTube sensation!

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:22 am

In the old days you could, but not now. Look online for codes or sales. What the price is is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:56 am

lmao I assume there's no room for negotiation in department stores, but was just curious if anyone had attempted it lately and how that went for them! I dig this Tuna and apparently there's one at my local Belk's but the MSRP is freaking $3,900!

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/prod ... x/sla042j1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:25 am

ezcheese wrote:lmao I assume there's no room for negotiation in department stores, but was just curious if anyone had attempted it lately and how that went for them! I dig this Tuna and apparently there's one at my local Belk's but the MSRP is freaking $3,900!

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/prod ... x/sla042j1
I’d go this route.

https://www.shoppinginjapan.net/sbdx038
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am

Crazy that I could get the JDM version for that much cheaper. I wonder what they actually have it listed for at Belks. I think I’ll go see later.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯