Help with a dive watch!

Discussion of Seiko watches
tesoro
Name: Chris

Help with a dive watch!

Post by tesoro » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi new poster here. I am ex dive professional and have had the same watch on my wrist day/nite for 37 years=1984 Rolex Submariner. I lost another bezel with cast net and I am done with it. Sadly
So I want to get a Seiko diver like I had before my sub. I have big wrists. I am looking at the Capt Willard version with ss band with the protected crown. I am not a collector and need it as a tool. I tried one on and it felt good. I have seen one other one that looks like a candidate but cant try one on. Its the ninja version I think export and can get for 700 bucks or so. The capt willard version is 1400 bucks. Budget not an issue but I dont want to pay premium for ‘anniversary’ edition. But I like ergonomics and used to my sub that is slim and flat. I also value fit n finish n good mechanisms.
Any comments from persons who have worn both much appreciated!

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Help with a dive watch!

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:56 am

Welcome to DWC

I've had the Willard and most of the other turtles - they all wear great.

I found the Willard to wear small and I really did not like the beveled crystal (personal preference) but it's a well made watch.

Good luck either way

:cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm

I’d say go with the 777 turdle or maybe even the SKX007. Or the SNE497 solar tuna. Or even the solar Arnie reissue. All are well under the price of the Willard, although you say price isn’t a concern. The mechanical Seikos aren’t typically stellar time keepers, but it’s kinda relative. I don’t know any of the specifics of the type of diving you do, but consider a typical Seiko running at a crappy 24 seconds off per day is only going to be one second off over the course of timing an hour elapsed time.

The solar Seikos will be a lot more accurate. Seiko specs them at +- 15 sec/month, both of mine are better than that. The solar tuna is less then one second fast since I set it in March. It’s only weakness, in my eyes, is that it’s not day-date. That only matters to me because I’m retired and need a reminder for soft Taco Tuesday at the home.

Straight forward tool - Seiko solar tuna or Arnie reissue

Tool with some fit/finish flair - SKX or SRP turdle, I love the case shapes with curves and Seiko style.

Straight up no BS Seiko tool style for a bit more money - Seiko SBBN045 quartz tuna https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/ ... e-in-japan
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:52 pm

If you have large wrists you might prefer the Turtle over the Willard.

Actually I found the King Turtle to be well made, seemingly more solid bezel, has a sapphire crystal with cyclops which might remind you of the Rolex...

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-pr ... iew-price/

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:08 pm

CarloDWC wrote:If you have large wrists you might prefer the Turtle over the Willard.

Actually I found the King Turtle to be well made, seemingly more solid bezel, has a sapphire crystal with cyclops which might remind you of the Rolex...

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-pr ... iew-price/

Agree, the Willard is my favorite Seiko, but I have small wrists. The green Seiko (which I also owned) would be my recommendation if you wanted something bigger.

Seiko Arnie is the tits if you dont mind a quartz watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:18 pm

SRP187

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK