Need help with Ardath Diver Guy watch!

A place to discuss vintage watches.
dnm82

Need help with Ardath Diver Guy watch!

Post by dnm82 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:50 pm

Hi all ,

I have picked up this funky little Ardath “diver guy” watch. I love the scuba guy on the dial. But the hands are wrong. Not sure what a cathedral style hand is doing on a dive watch! It features a Felsa 4002 movement. The hands are pretty unique to this watch. I’ve attached an image of the correct ones. Does anyone know where I could get hands for this watch that are correct? Any other insight about this watch is appreciated. You don’t see them too often. Thanks!

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wario406
Name: Mike

Re: Need help with Ardath Diver Guy watch!

Post by Wario406 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm

dnm82 wrote:Hi all ,

I have picked up this funky little Ardath “diver guy” watch. I love the scuba guy on the dial. But the hands are wrong. Not sure what a cathedral style hand is doing on a dive watch! It features a Felsa 4002 movement. The hands are pretty unique to this watch. I’ve attached an image of the correct ones. Does anyone know where I could get hands for this watch that are correct? Any other insight about this watch is appreciated. You don’t see them too often. Thanks!

Daniel

dive watches don’t have cathedral hands? Can you say Rolex Submariner? Even my old TAG Heuer 844-5 has cathedral hands…

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:29 pm

The Rolex Sub and your Tag have Mercedes Benz hands. In Cathedral hands, the hour hand has an oval instead of a circle. Sometimes it looks like an Ace of Spades to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Wario406 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm
dive watches don’t have cathedral hands? Can you say Rolex Submariner? Even my old TAG Heuer 844-5 has cathedral hands…
Joe beat me to it, and is of course correct - https://monochrome-watches.com/hands-ti ... tch-hands/

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:22 pm

raf42 wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm
Joe beat me to it, and is of course correct - https://monochrome-watches.com/hands-ti ... tch-hands/
Thanks guys!!!

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

dnm82

Post by dnm82 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:33 pm

Glad to see that sorted out. Anyone know about sourcing the correct hands for this watch?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:00 pm

dnm82 wrote:Glad to see that sorted out. Anyone know about sourcing the correct hands for this watch?

I doubt many of us know the brand. You may want to check with Jack @ International Watch Works, he often has answers.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:04 pm

Hate to say it, but thirty years of collecting vintage watches has taught me that finding parts for obscure brand watches is near impossible. Your best bet is to watch ebay for a parts watch, and keep an eye on the forums.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:12 pm

Vintage brands you don't see much looking for parts like looking for a needle in a haystack. Those replacement hands don't look bad. If I were you get a relumer to use vintage colored lume on dial and hands to match like the lume in the second photo and your good to go. I have been lucky finding dial and hands for vintage US issued watches, but they made a shit load of them. Was on the hunt for a vintage Doxa 300T bezel many years ago that they made a lot of and gave up and sold it for parts. Like some one said keep a eye on eBay you might find a one being sold for parts where the hands are still there.

7nine0nine0
Name: Tony

Post by 7nine0nine0 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:40 am

Ardath_Front.jpeg
I have one of these with the second execution dial. I doubt that you’ll find the correct hands for these. You might be able to get away with some aftermarket hands for a Titus Calypsomatic which are like Rolex hands. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.