A funny thing happened to my Technos skydiver

A place to discuss vintage watches.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

A funny thing happened to my Technos skydiver

Post by River Rat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:12 pm

I was wearing my Technos skydiver never had this ever happen to a watch the crystal just split in two. Lucky a seller on eBay sells replacements crystal for these. Just had it replaced today.
The top part just split in two the other part stuck in the case. The two parts after the split.
Just like new.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Re: A funny thing happened to my Technos skydiver

Post by River Rat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Better photo of the split

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:24 pm

Weird! I've never heard of a two piece crystal like that (other than glued on cyclops)

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:21 pm

some of the older styles are two pieces glued together. i think the vintage doxa's did this also. it uses a uv glue it i recall. you probably save that old crystal and pick up some uv glue at a hobby store to glue it back together.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:18 pm

Terry I got a replacement crystal already and had it installed. Your right UV glue works Mike our Doxa collector told me about that trick for creating a stepped crystal for my Doxa 300 that needed a replacement crystal.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:42 pm

Well, it happened again.
See between the 9 and 6. The watch came from a seller in Hong Kong so did the replacement crystal off eBay the seller I got the watch from maybe replaced the crystal from the same seller. Ether there is a defective or due to no tenson ring. The eBay seller ghosting me now sent a message with photos to give him a warning about the crystals. Bought two replacements acrylics crystals one by GS diver-tite and Sternkreuz and have the watchmaker pick the best dome one that's close only no magnifier can't find any with one that will fit. The eBay seller was overpriced and so was the shipping and the sucker ghosting me. 12-15 bucks for the two I just bought figure one made in the USA and the other from Germany will be better made than this overpriced aftermarket 50 bucks plus 50 bucks shipping what a crook sad thing they are the closest to the original just sad they split like this.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:58 pm

Funny they last just long enough to give good feedback on eBay and long enough so you can't get a refund. Wonder if they were two parts pressed together some how?

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:57 pm

Well finely replaced the crystal use a GS Diver-Tite deep sea pressor proof 31.4mm with tenson ring acrylic crystal really think the aftermarket without tenson ring the not having tenson ring was the flaw. To some of you it might look better without the cyclops know some of you don't like them. But to me I lost a little character of the originality. Not wasting 50 bucks for a aftermarket one that close to the original due to its flaw of cracking. this was cheaper 15 bucks.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:27 pm

looking good mike!

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:31 am

looks really good, Mike