WW2 RAF station clock

A place to discuss vintage watches.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

WW2 RAF station clock

Post by River Rat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:16 pm

Well just made a deal on this. A WW2 RAF station clock made by Elliett with fusse movement made in 1942. Been wanting one of these for a very long time. I tried to buy one some years ago from a seller of RAF items in England these are big, and he did not want to ship out of England. Was lucky to get a RAF mess clock and a British Navy deck clock all made by Elliett shipped from England to me but different sellers. Should have it next week. Got this from a seller in the USA for a great price. I think this will be the last clock I buy running out of wall space. Funny if this was a RAF sector clock with that colorful dial it would triple the price only thing different the dial. I guess the RAF sector clocks there less of them. I guess the seller being on the east coast got a storm coming in so will ship it after the storm clears. I am a sucker for anything thing military timepiece related.
repair mark

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Re: WW2 RAF station clock

Post by 93 Turbo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:18 am

You've got an amazing collection Mike. Congrats. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

alund
Name: Alan

Post by alund » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 am

Wow - That is a very nice piece!!! Congrats

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:40 am

Well got it today up on the wall and running. You can imagine WW2 RAF pilots looking at this for the time maybe for bombing missions know when to head off to their aircraft.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:32 pm

Was interesting setting this clock up. It's a heavy clock had to use a stud finder to find the proper place that would take the weight of this clock I used a long screw that I used my drill to put it in the wall. The pendulum you install that after you get it on the wall. There is a side door to put the pendulum in and a bottom door that locks to adjust the bob attached to the pendulum to adjust the speed. So far it is running OK. These have eight-day movement and is a fusee movement chain driven.

Lukeeesteve
Name: Luke

Post by Lukeeesteve » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:09 pm

Congratulations on the find. This is a beautiful find… 8 day anything makes it even cooler!

How is she running? Decent accuracy?

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:13 pm

That's a really nice clock and judging by the inscription it spent some of its time in Wales at RAF St Athan which is still there now :thumbsup:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_St_Athan
Andy :uj:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:35 pm

Andy one collector said it might be a maintenance mark. Since that base did maintenance but I have a feeling that clock was used at that base, Luke it keeps great time later clocks in WW2 did not use a fusee movement and those were not as accurate as the fusee ones. The later ones did not have a pendulum I guess the change was the pendulum on the fusee movements would stop in an air raid the shaking of the building during bombing would stop it and the clock would stop running. Something to think about right now Ukraine is feeling what Britin felt in WW2.