Favorite Chukkas

Where did you get that man purse?
BlueSky
Name: David

Favorite Chukkas

Post by BlueSky » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:22 am

Looking for something, not dress, that works well with jeans and cords, maybe suede. I know the usual suspects, just throwing this out there. I may very well have to go with an AE, if they even offer chukka options for a narrow foot. A lot of my casual stuff is Martin Dingman, so I can get away with a medium width sometimes. Thanks guys.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Favorite Chukkas

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:35 am

Red Wing makes a nice one.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:14 am

I like Blundstones for working outdoors.

I also have these AE Knightsbridge boots, which are very comfortable!

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:31 am

I've owned various AE chukkas, and all have been good. You can often find good deals on their factory seconds page on boots/chukkas. I have owned several pairs of their chukkas, and whatever the issue is (small crease or blemish) is typically minor or forgotten about after one or two wears.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/factory-se ... oes-boots/

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:48 am

AE is a good choice. As noted, quality product and a wide variety of sizes. If you can't try before buying, just make sure you can return (usually not a problem). Sometimes your foot won't agree with whatever last a company uses for a particular style.

Alden also does them, but I'd look at AE first. I've had better experiences with AE calf leather than Alden's. Alden is great for shell cordovan, but I've found their calf leather tanning to be sub-par.

I'd steer away from some of the lower tier "dress shoe" brands like Johnston & Murphy or Cole Haan. The leather quality just isn't there, and it isn't too big of a financial step to move up to AE or Alden.

If you want something a bit more casual, Red Wing is a good choice as Ed suggested. You can also look at the Clark desert boot. I've never owned them but they have a huge following.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:06 am

I've owned several pairs of Clark's desert boots. Solid for the money.... The original crepe sole version is super comfortable, but they are a lot more unstructured than AE's. Beeswax leather is tough and easy to restore with mink oil but it is not soft. Fairly crude design - basically a moccasin sewed to a layer of crepe. Crepe is slippery when wet FYI.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:20 am

dnslater wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:06 am
I've owned several pairs of Clark's desert boots. Solid for the money.... The original crepe sole version is super comfortable, but they are a lot more unstructured than AE's. Beeswax leather is tough and easy to restore with mink oil but it is not soft. Fairly crude design - basically a moccasin sewed to a layer of crepe. Crepe is slippery when wet FYI.
Crepe also gets dirty, and it dries out and crumbles after a time. Can the Clark's be re-soled?

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:36 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:20 am

Crepe also gets dirty, and it dries out and crumbles after a time. Can the Clark's be re-soled?
Yes, a lot of examples out there of people having replaced the crepe with Vibram soles.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:06 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. Tried on a pair of AEs today and unfortunately, I'll have to have their B width, 10B is the size of all my AEs. If it's not my damn skinny wrist, it's my damn skinny feet. I've got a pair of Wallabees that are not narrow, so maybe I'll look at the Clarks. I was hoping for something less pricey than AEs or Aldens (don't know how much I'll wear them), but I'll keep looking.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:26 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:06 pm
Thank you, gentlemen. Tried on a pair of AEs today and unfortunately, I'll have to have their B width, 10B is the size of all my AEs. If it's not my damn skinny wrist, it's my damn skinny feet. I've got a pair of Wallabees that are not narrow, so maybe I'll look at the Clarks. I was hoping for something less pricey than AEs or Aldens (don't know how much I'll wear them), but I'll keep looking.
J Crew carries a line of casual suede chukkas for $158. I've actually had good luck with their footwear from a comfort perspective. But if you already have Clark's that fit, the desert boot may be the way to go if the lasts are similar

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:44 pm

JBZ wrote:
BlueSky wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:06 pm
J Crew carries a line of casual suede chukkas for $158. I've actually had good luck with their footwear from a comfort perspective. But if you already have Clark's that fit, the desert boot may be the way to go if the lasts are similar
I’ve been cycling through the J Crew ones for the past decade maybe. They all fall apart eventually (sole gets detached), but they fit me well and are super comfortable for me. I consider them disposable. Ideally I’d like to switch to something nicer, but I’m the type of guy with clothing that just continues buying something that works for me until they stop making them.
- Todd

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:17 pm

CHECK --
georgia boot - romeo
...for another idea
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Wolverine makes a good ones for casual/work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Rossi boots. The real deal from Australia.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 pm

Blundstone is a good one. Also Australian (Tasmania). I was a Men’s shoe editor for Amazon for a couple years. Saw many of these up close. Great style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:11 am

Alden unlined chukkas. Expensive, overpriced these days in fact, but I like them a lot.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:16 am

Danner may be to casual, but these things are really comfortable. They are my go to in the "winter" time down here in FL.

https://www.danner.com/men/lifestyle/mo ... e-tan.html

and here is there version of the Chukka

https://www.danner.com/men/lifestyle/pi ... acken.html

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:16 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 pm
Blundstone is a good one. Also Australian (Tasmania). I was a Men’s shoe editor for Amazon for a couple years. Saw many of these up close. Great style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
they moved to china years ago. redback and rossi are the two that I know of that are still made in auxtralia.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:38 am

Thanks again, guys. Good stuff and I appreciate it.

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:09 am

Check out the Canada West Romeo (for a slip on):

https://www.canadawestboots.com/romeo

The or Moorby line for lace up:

https://www.canadawestboots.com/mensmoorby

These are made in Canada, goodyear welted and sell for $250 CAD (which is a relative steal compared to other similar products). These guys have contracts with various Canadian police forces to supply footwear.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:18 pm

Jim Green offers some solid casual boots.
I picked up a pair of the Vellies last year and just got a pair of Outbacks.

https://jimgreenfootwear.com/product-category/all/
https://stridewise.com/best-desert-boot ... -vs-chukka

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 pm

I like the Helm Declan ($250)..

Oakstreet ($375) makes a nice one...

Thursday Boot Co the Scout ( $150).....Thursday Boot Co and you don't have to break the bank...

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:32 pm

I’m a big fan of Oak Street. They have some good year end sales.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."