Traeger grill bad customer service

Where did you get that man purse?
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Traeger grill bad customer service

Post by River Rat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Well in August I bought a Traeger grill. Been wanting one the cost put me off. Well I finely got one. Well four months later when cooking a prim rib for thanksgiving it took a major dump. The HER error code pops on and it shuts off. The code comes on if the temp stays below a low temp a safety feature. But it was at 400 degrees way above the low temp were it shuts off. Then tried it another day and the Temp goes to 200 then 400 and all over the place smoke starts to come out of the pellet hopper. So call Traeger and get the run around on the first call he said since it's cold in MT could be the problem so try it again on a warmer day that dat 45 degrees out side same thing each time I try to use it the dam thing gets worse. The second time I call Traeger 25 inline when I get some one the line goes dead they never call back. Call Home Depot were I got it run around there. Then I call Traeger again and they sent me parts the electronic guts and a fan I got to install myself a cluster fuck of a company. Any one else ever had a Traeger take a dump after using it about 11 times. Hate to take a 600 grill that looks brand new to the dumps because it don't work. I got a feeling I will install these parts and nothing happens then they send me more parts and nothing happens like ground hog day. Rant over. But thanksgiving day is when you don't want some thing like this taking a BIG SHIT. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Buyer beware of Traeger if you bought it from home depot and it acts up with in 90 days get your money back if you do the Traeger warranty were they send you parts for repair and it don't work and during that time the 90 days passes your stuck with a piece of shit. It did work great when it worked but the QC sucks if they take a dump so fast and I kept it in the garage out of the weather cleaned it after other use. It should not of took a major dump.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Traeger grill bad customer service

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:23 pm

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Traeger. Put it on Craigslist.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:08 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I’ve heard nothing but good things about Traeger. Put it on Craigslist.
Then go to Costco and buy a KamadoJoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Oh man.

I got a Traeger for myself for Father’s Day and I absolutely love it- use it 2-5 days a week.

Never had a problem with it at all- and I’ve done 14hr+ smokes with brisket and pork.

I bought mine from an ace hardware. I am not sure about the Home Depot versions. I know and I have read on plenty of forums about how the Costco versions are made cheaper and have a lot of issues.

Did you get directions with it about how to break it in? You have to go through the steps and season it... just wondering.
Making pork chops on mine as we speak.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Captdave wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:I’ve heard nothing but good things about Traeger. Put it on Craigslist.
Then go to Costco and buy a KamadoJoe

Man. I love all smokers but I’ve talked to people who have both and they have said they would keep the Traeger over the green egg or joe. The result may be a little better with the wood over pellets but the ease makes them use the Traeger more often. I’ve made some great food on mine. But reading pro smoker websites Traeger is hated on... most guys will talk you into an American made pellet grill that cost $1500+. For $600 I think it’s a great smoker/grill.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:37 pm

I’ll stick with the ceramic smoker. No electronics or motors to fail.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:55 pm

DEATH FROM ABOVE

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:24 pm

BacoNoir wrote:I’ll stick with the ceramic smoker. No electronics or motors to fail.
I’ve never used a traeger or any pellet smoker but, I find the KJ very easy to use and incredibly versatile.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Captdave wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:I’ll stick with the ceramic smoker. No electronics or motors to fail.
I’ve never used a traeger or any pellet smoker but, I find the KJ very easy to use and incredibly versatile.

With a pellet smoker you have a hopper on the side that you fill a pellets. And with mine it has an auger that slowly feeds the fire pot inside thr bottom of the grill. And you have a dial and you set the temp you desire. Mine stays (I think) within 15° of the set temp- and I think the newer models are 10°.
Of course that kind of “set it and forget it” does have its downfall- like when a part fails like Rover Rat is experiencing.

A guy at Ace put mine together for free. He said he has been there for over 10 years and he builds most that they sell. He said the only thing that can happen to them is the “brain” going out eventually- which you can buy a new part and install it.

Very curious how Mikes turns out.

My brothers neighbor has the old style Traeger - used it for over 25years and it still works great. But there will he lemons of course.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

kfallsrider

Post by kfallsrider » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Noted!!

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:29 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Captdave wrote:

With a pellet smoker you have a hopper on the side that you fill a pellets. And with mine it has an auger that slowly feeds the fire pot inside thr bottom of the grill. And you have a dial and you set the temp you desire. Mine stays (I think) within 15° of the set temp- and I think the newer models are 10°.
Of course that kind of “set it and forget it” does have its downfall- like when a part fails like Rover Rat is experiencing.

A guy at Ace put mine together for free. He said he has been there for over 10 years and he builds most that they sell. He said the only thing that can happen to them is the “brain” going out eventually- which you can buy a new part and install it.

Very curious how Mikes turns out.

My brothers neighbor has the old style Traeger - used it for over 25years and it still works great. But there will he lemons of course.

I have an aftermarket temperature controller with fan that is an accessory that does the same thing, short of an auger for pellets and is cheap to replace if it fails. It also as a meat probe to tell me when the meat is done. Easy and cheap to replace if anything fails.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Very surprised to hear. My brother has a Traeger grill and needed some replacement parts. He reached out to their CS and they hooked him up with all the parts for free incl. shipping and he had them in just a few days.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:42 pm

2 batches of cinnamon sugar almonds and now some grilled chicken for dinner :
ImageImage

DEATH FROM ABOVE

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Well got the parts the other day. You look at Traeger Co. video on how to switch parts there's no bottom plate cover were they have easy access. Well mine had a bottom plate held by 6 screws but were the power cord the one you plug in for electricity there's a electrical cord bushing were it keeps you from sliding the back plate cover down the cord to replace the parts easy. Had unbolt the controller cut wires and was able to twist the plat down just enough unsnap the coupling to remove the old wires. And then snapping the coupling of the new controller then testing it to see if it worked so far so good. But then the temp started to act up High then back to low. They did have a RTD sensor with the kit it a steel rode with wires that hook to the controller for the temp reading so switched out the old one. Set it to 180 it stayed at 225 a little over but that mite of been the problem all along. Thank god I did not have to put that fan in could not get that bottom plate moved enough to install that why would they put a unremovable bushing for the electrical cord. They are sending me a new electrical cord so I can cut the old one so I can remove the bushing so I will have easy removal to do repairs in the future so when I remove the bolts the bottom plate will slide down the power cord so I have full access to do repairs. Wonder why they don't have a video on that dam bottom plate being in the dam way and how to remove it to replace parts they make it look easy to repair in the video due to no bottom plate cover. Dam there are screwable bushing that loosen and tighten up to slide cords through why put one in that's has a bad design.
The bottom plate there are 6 screws holding it but a permanent bushing on the power cord connected the bottom plate cover were it won't slide down the power cord if you pull you rip the power cord out and do more damage. you can remove the controller then twist the bottom plate cover and get to some of the parts to replace but getting to the fans to replace forget it that cover has got to be completely out of the way. Check out Traeger video's on repairs see there is no bottom plate cover or how to remove it so they make it look easy with full access they would be bitching in the video messing with that bottom plate cover. You can see the power cord hanging in the photo.
There video with out bottom cover they make it look easy and it would of been easy with out that cover stuck to the power cord with no play. Read some of the comments below the youtube video error code like mine. Sounds like they send you parts all day long due to there faulty workmanship and lackluster customer service by some. The girl who walked me through on the phone today tried more than some I talked to on the phone. They should have a bushing that you can unscrew to loosen up so the cover slides down the power cord we use to make extinction cords in the navy with those a simple fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8zdiAFCR4k
Last edited by River Rat on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:35 pm

What model did you get?

DEATH FROM ABOVE

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:36 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:35 pm
What model did you get?

Traeger Eastwood 22

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Guess what I found out these are made in China 🇨🇳 all ways thought they were made in the good old USA 🇺🇸 due to the high price to pay American workers. How wonder the bad QC from the factory were some come out as screwed up as mine. Should of bought a Walmart special for half the price they all come from the same place. They make you think Salt Lake City were they are made.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Well after replacing the electric controller and the rod that’s inside were you cook it tells the temp and has a wire that connects to the electric controller I did break the plastic bushing from the power cord and back plate just to remove that back plate just to get to were all the wires and fans and controller wires are. The did send me a new power cord that has a extra plastic bushing but mite leave it that way easier to do repairs. It now works again now I got a extra fan and power cord a weird way for a warranty just send you a munch of parts and guess what parts will make it work again. Hope it works with out any more problems not fun dying on you when you are cooking.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Hope you get it all figured out. I made grilled chicken again and I made a big batch of chocolate chip cookies a little later.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/b ... ip+Cookies+

^
Take them off at 15min

DEATH FROM ABOVE

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:45 am

I have heard some negatives on traeger since they changed where they were manufactured, but thus far that has been due to durability of the metal finish. I have not heard this and hope for the best for you. I have had my egg for probably close to about 5 yrs without issue (knock on wood). My dad has had his for 25 yrs and doesnt even keep his covered at all in Charlotte (exposed to all seasons). Maybe I am just partial to these things but I love the BGE and dont miss rolling cheap metal gas grills to the curb. Best of luck with the traeger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk