aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Good Scotch at Costco?

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Any recommendations on these?
73580BE6-C5CD-4650-908A-319C742144F8.jpeg
AE171EEB-14E1-4031-A281-EE9037BE0AC0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: Good Scotch at Costco?

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Yes. Buy all and invite us over to decide which is best.
The Hapa

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Good Scotch at Costco?

Post by JDC222 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 pm

The Talisker Storm is very good, as is Johnnie Walker Blue!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 pm

I really wish I could buy wine/liquor at my NJ Costco.
- Todd

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:19 pm

The Kirkland brand single malts and blends are excellent, too.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:59 am

Seppia wrote:Talisker is a great option but similarly suo Islay whiskies, it’s peaty (not everybody likes that).

Johnny Blue in my opinion is insanely overpriced, a Chivas 18 is half the price and four times better.
Islay whisky’s are the best whisky’s!

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 am

^ This
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:02 am

So Talisker is an Islay?

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 am

aikiman44 wrote:So Talisker is an Islay?
Yes.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are 2 popular brands of Speyside whisky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 pm

I’ve got some Glenlivet that I like. Maybe I’ll go for the Islay flavor.

JDC222

Good Scotch at Costco?

Post by JDC222 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Seppia wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
aikiman44 wrote:So Talisker is an Islay?
Yes.
No
It’s from the island of Skye
Tastes almost like an islay but a little more briny.

I absolutely adore peaty scotches but I know they’re not for everyone.
As you mentioned Speyside tends to be a less divisive taste
Sorry, you’re right...I was thinking of Tobermory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Winston Churchill.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:14 pm

My go to Scotch is Aberlour A'Bunadh. It doesn't have the strong peat of an Islay, but it's very rich and being a cask strength whisky, it's very strong. If you drink it neat like I do, it should be sipped very slowly.

No, it's not Tourettes.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Speyside
Speyside has the highest concentration of distilleries of the five regions. Over forty distilleries are clustered within the Spey valley. (The river Spey is Scotland’s second longest river, 110 miles, and its fastest flowing.) Four of the top five best selling single malts are from Speyside: Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Macallan and Glen Grant. Speyside has no one particular type or style of whisky, with bourbon and sherry casks both commonly used for maturation. What the vast majority of Speyside whiskies have in common, however, is the absence of strong peat flavour.

Given that Speyside distilleries account for about half of all production, it’s no surprise that the best ones are always in high demand from the blenders.

Speyside malts available for investment: Auchroisk, Benrinnes, Dailuaine, Glen Moray, Glen Spey, Inchgower, Strathmill and Tombae.

Highland
Everything outside of Lowland, Speyside, Campbeltown and Islay falls into the general ‘Highland’ region. This includes whiskies from the mainland and from the islands (Skye, Jura, Arran, Orkney etc.). The Highland whiskies can’t be typified. From the power of Talisker to the subtlety of Glenmorangie, there is a long journey of discovery ahead for the whisky enthusiast. The Highland region is also geographically diverse, from the rugged peaks of the Cairngorms or Grampians to the heather-covered moorlands of Perthshire, or the rich arable land in the Kingdom of Fife. There are over 30 distilleries widely spread throughout the Highlands. And one distillery, Glengoyne, is frequently the subject of intense whisky debate as to whether it is a Highland or Lowland whisky. Glengoyne is situated at Dumgoyne, right on the border between the two regions. While it falls into the Highland category, the style of whisky made at Glengoyne fits well with the Lowland style.

Highland malts available for investment: Ardmore, Blair Athol, Glen Garioch, Nethermill, Teaninich, Tobermory and Tullibardine.

Islay
There are eight working distilleries on Islay. Most of them produce strong, peaty and smoky whiskies, which divide whisky drinkers into two camps: love or hate. There is no middle ground. These whiskies get their character from the heavily peated malt they use and from the local water which runs through thousand-year-old peat bogs. The local maltings, at Port Ellen, provide most of the malt used on the island.

However, two distilleries on the island, Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich are exceptions to the norm and produce a lighter and less peaty product. The most heavily peated malts, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Caol Ila, have a strong global following, as does the slightly lighter tasting Bowmore. The newest distillery on the island, Kilchoman, started production in late 2005.

Islay malts available for investment: Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila.

Lowland
The Lowland region is roughly defined by an imaginary line running between the Firth of Clyde on the west coast of Scotland to the Firth of Tay on the east, and any distillery lying south of this line is lowland. There were many lowland distilleries in the Victorian era, and the region has undergone a resurgence this century; of its thirteen active distilleries, ten were founded after 2000.

At least six other lowland single malts are still available in bottle, but are no longer distilled: Rosebank, Kinclaith, St. Magdalene, Ladyburn, Inverleven and Littlemill.

Traditionally Lowland single malts are triple distilled but this is not true of all of them. Lowland malts tend to be light and floral in character.

Lowland malts available for investment: Auchentoshan, Borders, Kirkcowan and Strathenry.

Campbeltown
Campbeltown whiskies are made in the burgh of Campbeltown, on the Kintyre peninsula. This was once the whisky capital of Scotland, with up to 28 distilleries in operation. However, there has been a steady decline in numbers and now most of the distilleries have gone out of business and little trace of them remains.

Today only three distilleries continue to produce whisky in Campbeltown: Springbank, Glengyle and Glen Scotia. The Springbank distillery produces three distinct whiskies: Springbank, Hazelburn, and Longrow. Glengyle distillery has recently been revived by J & A Mitchell and Co Ltd., who own and operate the Springbank distillery.

Unlike malt whiskies, grain whiskies are not given a regional classification although most of the grain distilleries are located in the Lowland region, the exception is Invergordon located in the Highland region. Grain whiskies available for investment: Cameronbridge, Invergordon, North British and Starlaw. Learn more about the distilleries making malt and grain spirit available on our platform.
Winston Churchill.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Now that’s a history!

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks

Can you explain the "investment" comment

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks

Can you explain the "investment" comment

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:48 am

That’s quite the Louis inventory. Sheesh

Does Costco carry Chivas Royal Salute 21?

Drank my ‘81 port Ellen (forget the age statement... 20 something?) and Yamazaki 18s years ago. :shifty:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:03 am

JDC222 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 pm
The Talisker Storm is very good, as is Johnnie Walker Blue!
I like the Storm a lot. I always have at least a bottle of that on hand at all times.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:03 am

Talisker is not bad at all if you like a little peat.

I'm more a Glengoyne or Bruichladdich guy.