Lets talk dash cameras

Get your nerd on.
hobbit712
Name: Steve

Lets talk dash cameras

Post by hobbit712 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:21 pm

I am thinking about buying a dash camera or two for my wife and I. The crazy drivers here in FLA are getting out of hand. The piece of mind knowing the encounter would be recorded is intriguing to me. I have briefly look at a few reviews. I dont want or necessarily want all the bells and whistles that some of the high end units are capable of. I am leaning towards the Garmin Mini Dash 2. Small enough to hide behind the mirror and still has a few good functions.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any other recommendations? The reviews are all over the place but the Garmin seems to be consistently in the lists of the top units.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Lets talk dash cameras

Post by dnslater » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:48 pm

I have the Garmin mini 2. Seems well made and I like that it is compact and doesn't have a screen. Directions kind of suck and I have not had to use it yet. Get the OBD-II power cable as it allows it to maintain power even when your car is off. Can set it to keep power for 10m or 24h or always. Will record if it senses the car move.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:51 am

I’ll second the Garmin Mini 2. You can get a polarized lens cover for them which is recommended for sunny locations with glare.

I also picked up a cable that plugs into my mirror power, so auto power on / power off with no splicing necessary. The bad news is the mirror power is only on when the car is on, so no camera when the car is off.

The Garmin records to an SD card. I think it overwrites as he card fills up.

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:07 am

I had a cheap one and , like Ryeguy, hardwired it into the cable for the powered rearview mirror. Mine had a small battery that would record for a while when the car was shut off that was activated by a "bump". So, if some dingbat bumped into the car while parked, it wouldn't record the actual accident but would record them when they drove away.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 pm

I have one in my Jetta I drive for work. It’s a Rexing with front and back cameras. In my wife’s CX-9 I have a Thinkware. Both are hardwired. The Thinkware is small and unobtrusive and can’t be easily seen outside of the vehicle. It gives good video quality. The key id say is to hardwire whatever you end up getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:27 pm