Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Re: Speed Limiters are coming or rather are already here

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:12 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:23 pm
Bob1035 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:57 am
Wouldn't the money to implement this be better spend on driver's education for kids? Obviously actually helping the problem isn't nearly as fun or newsworthy as shiny new toys/laws/technologies.

Old(er) cars rule.
I don't think this will cost much to implement in new production vehicles seeing that they're already super computers on wheels. The bigger issue is the privacy concerns and the backlash they will cause when found out.
I totally agree! My convoluted point was that it feels like "we" would rather give up privacy/liberty/freedoms/etc instead of actually creating solutions to problems.

Didn't John Deere recently remotely shut down a bunch of farm equipment in relation to the Ukr mess? I can't imagine many folks were happy to hear about that capability domestically...

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:28 am

Seppia wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:52 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:33 am
If you can’t work out why allowing remote access to the functioning of your private property isn’t great, then you’re way more optimistic that I am.
Yet millions of people willingly put wiretaps (Alexa, nest cameras) inside their home and are happy about it
Millions of people also put… into their bodies.

The aim of all this shit is a world where you can be unbanked and have your car stalled at the whims of the government. How do I know? Because it’s already happening: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/15/chin ... index.html

Also, you don’t even need that Internet of things stuff. Our phones spy on us at all times. Keep that shit in another room guys!

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:32 am

I see 20-30 over the limit almost every day of the week. I’m not a fan of restrictions to in home activity, but my car isn’t my home. It’s public territory and I think ok for restriction. But... a problem that will present is driving on the interstate and the limiter thinks I exited onto the frontage road with a 35 mph limit.
The Hapa

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:42 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:32 am
I see 20-30 over the limit almost every day of the week. I’m not a fan of restrictions to in home activity, but my car isn’t my home. It’s public territory and I think ok for restriction. But... a problem that will present is driving on the interstate and the limiter thinks I exited onto the frontage road with a 35 mph limit.
Or, you know, maybe they deploy remote radar and license plate scanning technology to automatically ticket for speeding. If you skip a non-manned toll in NYS they manage to give you a ticket. The technology exists for speeding as well.

When there's a less invasive solution to a problem and the government picks the more dystopian one... the tool is the point, not solving the problem. People are going to love not being able to drive during the next monkey pox outbreak in the Castro.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 am

A better solution is improving driver education BEFORE a license is given. A prime example would be knowing that slower traffic should stay out of the fast lane regardless of the speed limit.

Impeding traffic flow and causing a bottleneck is probably one of the biggest reasons why there are accidents on the highway.

I am adamantly against any sort of government control over my car, my life, my guns, my body, and anything else these idiots want.

Government control is a slippery slope and once Pandora is taken out of the box there's no turning back.

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:22 am

HapaHapa wrote:
When there's a less invasive solution to a problem and the government picks the more dystopian one... the tool is the point, not solving the problem.
Here's looking at you, anti-gun lobby.... :puke:

(Rant - I live in the #2 Murder City per capita, but have to go through a sh!t ton of training just for the priviledge of buying a pistol, couldn't carry until recently, and can't buy real mags in state, but people like me are the problem :banghead: )

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:45 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:42 am
HapaHapa wrote:
Or, you know, maybe they deploy remote radar and license plate scanning technology to automatically ticket for speeding. If you skip a non-manned toll in NYS they manage to give you a ticket. The technology exists for speeding as well.

When there's a less invasive solution to a problem and the government picks the more dystopian one... the tool is the point, not solving the problem. People are going to love not being able to drive during the next monkey pox outbreak in the Castro.
Radar camera does seem like a much more practical solution
The Hapa

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Bob1035 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:22 am
HapaHapa wrote:
When there's a less invasive solution to a problem and the government picks the more dystopian one... the tool is the point, not solving the problem.

(Rant - I live in the #2 Murder City per capita, but have to go through a sh!t ton of training just for the priviledge of buying a pistol, couldn't carry until recently, and can't buy real mags in state, but people like me are the problem :banghead: )
This strikes me as odd. I live in the Dem controlled state of CO and recently heard someone say it is hard to attain a firearm. I can literally drive 5 minutes down to the road to the local Big R and walk out with one in less than 10 minutes (as long as a mass shooting hasn't led to a system bog down). I am all for gun ownership, but even I was shocked how easy it was the first time I did it. And as for mags..lol, nobody cares in this state. You can literally buy them at any indy gun store outside of Denver.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:26 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 am
A better solution is improving driver education BEFORE a license is given. A prime example would be knowing that slower traffic should stay out of the fast lane regardless of the speed limit.

Impeding traffic flow and causing a bottleneck is probably one of the biggest reasons why there are accidents on the highway.

I am adamantly against any sort of government control over my car, my life, my guns, my body, and anything else these idiots want.

Government control is a slippery slope and once Pandora is taken out of the box there's no turning back.
I think it already is. CA is now using battery powered license plates that automatically renew. They are marketing it as a new type of vanity plate. You know that shit is tracking more than just your license info.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:00 pm

Seppia wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:27 am
demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:48 am
Seppia wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
If you can’t work out why allowing remote access to the functioning of your private property isn’t great, then you’re way more optimistic that I am.
Yet millions of people willingly put wiretaps (Alexa, nest cameras) inside their home and are happy about it
And many of us won’t….
I'm among those many of you in case it wasn't clear :)
Lol 👍
My kids have those all over. Turing on lights…locking doors…running thermostat. Pass
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:08 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Bob1035 wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:

This strikes me as odd. I live in the Dem controlled state of CO and recently heard someone say it is hard to attain a firearm. I can literally drive 5 minutes down to the road to the local Big R and walk out with one in less than 10 minutes (as long as a mass shooting hasn't led to a system bog down). I am all for gun ownership, but even I was shocked how easy it was the first time I did it. And as for mags..lol, nobody cares in this state. You can literally buy them at any indy gun store outside of Denver.
Extremely different in NJ, at least. You get a background check and fingerprinted for the “right” of obtaining a license to purchase firearms. If you want to buy a pistol the state gives you another background check to give you the privilege to purchase a handgun. Then, when you go to buy said handgun, you get yet another background check (standard NICS, but run through the state as opposed to federal).

All of the above typically takes 6+ months and several hundred dollars, minus the cost of the gun, to complete.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Seppia wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:27 am
demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:48 am
Seppia wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
And many of us won’t….
I'm among those many of you in case it wasn't clear :)
same. f that crap

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:09 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:08 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Bob1035 wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:

Extremely different in NJ, at least. You get a background check and fingerprinted for the “right” of obtaining a license to purchase firearms. If you want to buy a pistol the state gives you another background check to give you the privilege to purchase a handgun. Then, when you go to buy said handgun, you get yet another background check (standard NICS, but run through the state as opposed to federal).

All of the above typically takes 6+ months and several hundred dollars, minus the cost of the gun, to complete.
To buy a pistol here, you need four character references (unrelated to you and each other) who have known you at least two years and live in the county. Then you need to get interviewed by the local sheriff. It’s total and complete bullshit.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:10 pm

demer03 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:00 pm
Lol 👍
My kids have those all over. Turing on lights…locking doors…running thermostat. Pass
[/quote]
screw that. my brother that passed away had all of that stuff. his kids didn't even know how to turn on a light switch when it was not working. :angryfire: i am not letting that bitch in my house.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 pm

Also, you can’t shoot a buddies pistol without a license of your own and most local gun stores won’t sell you “pistol ammo” without a license.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:37 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 pm
Also, you can’t shoot a buddies pistol without a license of your own and most local gun stores won’t sell you “pistol ammo” without a license.
Are you in Illinois? 😆😆😆😆😆

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:03 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:37 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 pm
Are you in Illinois? 😆😆😆😆😆
Worse. NY.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:13 pm

Seppia wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Yep, I find this hilarious.

People say they are concerned about government intrusion into their lives and then put always-on internet-connected microphones and cameras in their homes.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:03 pm

I worked in management at a large chain of gun stores/range. My store was in the gun friendly state of Kentucky.

Provided you were 21, had a KY Photo ID, and passed a background check you could buy a handgun, and walk out with it the same day provided you got a proceed and not a delay. Same rules apply if you are 18, but then you can only buy a rifle.

You also can rent guns to shoot in the range if you don't have your own. Again age applies to what you can rent.

Over the last year I can't tell you how many people of all races and ethnicities that came in wanting to shoot their first gun, with supervision by a range safety officer (RSO) of course. On many occasions that was me.

Teaching people about gun safety and how to use them is definitely a must from my experience, and we offered many classes and private lessons.

Any type of gun control will only affect, and impede the rights of 99% of law abiding citizens.

The other 1% that cause all the problems will not care what the law says, and will still get, or make, guns much like they do with drugs.

There's a reason the states with the most strict gun laws have the most crime and it's because criminals don't play by the rules.

I don't work there anymore because I hated retail hours, but enjoyed seeing that both democrats and republicans, liberals and conservatives, became first time gun owners while I was there. This was especially the case after the last two years of dumbfuckery.

Hearing the laws some states have to go through to get a gun is ridiculous and just plain un-American imo.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:05 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:03 pm
I worked in management at a large chain of gun stores/range. My store was in the gun friendly state of Kentucky.

Provided you were 21, had a KY Photo ID, and passed a background check you could buy a handgun, and walk out with it the same day provided you got a proceed and not a delay. Same rules apply if you are 18, but then you can only buy a rifle.

You also can rent guns to shoot in the range if you don't have your own. Again age applies to what you can rent.

Over the last year I can't tell you how many people of all races and ethnicities that came in wanting to shoot their first gun, with supervision by a range safety officer (RSO) of course. On many occasions that was me.

Teaching people about gun safety and how to use them is definitely a must from my experience, and we offered many classes and private lessons.

Any type of gun control will only affect, and impede the rights of 99% of law abiding citizens.

The other 1% that cause all the problems will not care what the law says, and will still get, or make, guns much like they do with drugs.

There's a reason the states with the most strict gun laws have the most crime and it's because criminals don't play by the rules.

I don't work there anymore because I hated retail hours, but enjoyed seeing that both democrats and republicans, liberals and conservatives, became first time gun owners while I was there. This was especially the case after the last two years of dumbfuckery.

Hearing the laws some states have to go through to get a gun is ridiculous and just plain un-American imo.
It is kind of crazy and wonder if crime stats in those states are any better (I am pretty sure I already know the answer). I've lived in KY, TX, NV, CT and CO in the past 10 years. I didn't even bother to shoot when I lived in CT. All the other states I was able to walk in and walk out with a new firearm within minutes. It's pretty wild the degree of variability that states have on gun ownership.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:08 pm

bedlam wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:13 pm
Seppia wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Yep, I find this hilarious.

People say they are concerned about government intrusion into their lives and then put always-on internet-connected microphones and cameras in their homes.
There are a lot of dumb people in this world. Anyone with a cell phone made in the last 10 years is being tracked and manipulated daily by their phone's algorithms.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:53 am

I'm in the PR of Maryland, so NJ-light. Born and raised in NC, so its be an......adjustment.
-Long guns (that aren't on the naughty list) are cash and carry with a NCIS check. Naughty list = non HBAR ar pattern rifles (goofy as hell), most AK pattern stuff
-pistol: 8 hour class training class, finger prints, background check, 30-90 wait, and you get a "Handgun Qualification License", which allows you to buy any of the approved pistols (a dealer has to submit any new models to the State Police for approval, most everything is approved, but we can't get new new stuff when it releases). When you do buy, you go to shop, pick out blaster, pay, then wait 7 days for a "cooling off" period, until you can actually take possession.
-10rd mag cap for anything sold in state. Ownership of full cap mags is legal though, just can't buy them in state
-Amazingly enough, MD is super NFA friendly, but unfortunately that's not a price point I'm in these days.

:shrug:

Sort of more on topic, we have a main artery that heads out of town, pretty curvy (for a 6 lane highway at least) stretch that heads from downtown B'more all the way into York, PA. Its a favorite strip to run for the bike guys and sports car guys. They recently put in speed cameras. I'm predicting they will be ticketing the crap out of normal every day commuters going 7mph over, but won't do a damn thing about the fairly reckless vehicular behaviors. Everyone knows where the cameras are, so there's always a slow down in that area, then its green! green! green! and off to the races.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:29 am

Bob1035 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:53 am
They recently put in speed cameras. I'm predicting they will be ticketing the crap out of normal every day commuters going 7mph over, but won't do a damn thing about the fairly reckless vehicular behaviors. Everyone knows where the cameras are, so there's always a slow down in that area, then its green! green! green! and off to the races.
Yes. That's an obvious downside. They need to be mobile, which seems easy enough.

Bob1035

Post by Bob1035 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:51 am

The fastest recorded speed is 173mph prior to the cameras; I’m not even mad I’m impressed!