Keep my iPad Pro or move to a Chromebook?

Get your nerd on.
Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:28 pm

Just a thought that has come up over the last few days. I have an iPad Pro 10.5 256GB that I bought after I sold the last one on here which I found I liked more than I thought. I’m really not a fan of typing on the screen and I had many issues using a Bluetooth mechanical keyboard. Obviously for those who know I get the benefit of 120Hz refresh, but only 3GB of RAM which has never been an issue but I’ve been thinking about a laptop without putting in a lot of money. I understand what my iPad Pro is capable of but at this point it’s aging technology. Any of you think it would be best to move into a modern Chromebook, or would you keep up the already existing iPad? A modern iPad Pro is funny money and as far as I’m concerned this current iPad is working fine for now, but I don’t know what benefits of modern Chromebooks I may be missing now as an Android user these days.

djh1201
Name: David H.

Re: Keep my iPad Pro or move to a Chromebook?

Post by djh1201 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:55 am

I have a PixelBook Go as my primary computer and am quite happy with it, does everything I need it to do and more. Also just got an ipad (Mini 6) after years without one, and love it!

However, if I have any serious work to do I grab the Pixelbook, ipad is used for leisure reading and video. Hate typing long posts on the ipad (like I'm doing now) 😀

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 am

All depends on your use case.
I’m an Apple fanboy so I can’t be objective really.
I always used the Apple keyboard when I had it on my older iPad Pro.
I have an M1 mac these days and an iPad Pro 2020, but I opted to not get the keyboard as I don’t really do any typing on it; I use my Mac.
Both devices carry a specific purpose for me, that’s why I have both.

What do you do with your iPad?
If typing is an issue, the Apple keyboard is the best option in my opinion, but if your on android now, a chromebook is good as well. They are basic devices and I think the screen is better on the iPads unless you get into the higher end of the chrome books, but for movie watching, web browsing, emails etc, the chrome book can do that all and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:16 pm

I have an HP Chromebook (HP 14C-CA0053DX0), which has 8 GB ram, a heavy duty aluminum case, and backlit keyboard, along with an Asus 8 GB Chromebox (desktop) and a Pixel 4a phone. Everything cirques well together. I find Chrome OS to be much more intuitive Than MS. The variety of Chrome apps and the hardware features have improved a lot since the early days of Chromebook. I think whether you choose Google or Apple, go all in on the eco-sphere of your choice.

BTW, the just released Pixel 6 phone looks phenomenal for $599.
No, it's not Tourettes.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:14 am

The first gen M1 Macs (Pro and Air) are incredible. I've been using an M1 MBP for a year, and have been extremely happy. The base M1 chip and architecture is crazy good. The M1 Max/Pro look to be a significant step above but likely not necessary unless you are doing video and other processor-intensive work.

djh1201

Post by djh1201 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:45 am

I even been using Apple products for years, and everythng I've read about the M1 Macbooks says they are amazing, but my sticking point is that I can buy a PREMIUM Chromebook (with a touchscreen), for about 1/2 of what a Macbook Pro costs.

Just not worth it IMO unless you are doing some heavy work like video processing, etc.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 am

Yeah it’s for my own personal use and there’s not much I do that would require heavy ram. I’ve used different keyboard options with my iPad but none seem ideal for actually using on a lap. I am using an android phone these days which is what prompted the thought of changing. My current iPad is considered a 2017 release and it is going strong, plus I’m surprised the value they’ve been holding especially with the 256gb option and I saw that as a great option for a change without taking too much out of my pocket to do so.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 am

Torrid wrote:Yeah it’s for my own personal use and there’s not much I do that would require heavy ram. I’ve used different keyboard options with my iPad but none seem ideal for actually using on a lap. I am using an android phone these days which is what prompted the thought of changing. My current iPad is considered a 2017 release and it is going strong, plus I’m surprised the value they’ve been holding especially with the 256gb option and I saw that as a great option for a change without taking too much out of my pocket to do so.
Maybe order a chrome book from say Best Buy or a place with a good return policy, and test it out. See if you like it. If not, return it and keep your iPad, or look into a MacBook M1 Air.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:57 am

djh1201 wrote:I even been using Apple products for years, and everythng I've read about the M1 Macbooks says they are amazing, but my sticking point is that I can buy a PREMIUM Chromebook (with a touchscreen), for about 1/2 of what a Macbook Pro costs.

Just not worth it IMO unless you are doing some heavy work like video processing, etc.
I’ve never been a fan of touchscreen on a laptop. Just the reach is too far and doesn’t make sense (again, to me), when I have a great trackpad.

Depending on your use case; you’d probably like the M1 Air.

djh1201

Post by djh1201 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:57 am

Torrid wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 am
Yeah it’s for my own personal use and there’s not much I do that would require heavy ram. I’ve used different keyboard options with my iPad but none seem ideal for actually using on a lap. I am using an android phone these days which is what prompted the thought of changing. My current iPad is considered a 2017 release and it is going strong, plus I’m surprised the value they’ve been holding especially with the 256gb option and I saw that as a great option for a change without taking too much out of my pocket to do so.
I think a Chromebook would be perfect for you then. I have the base Pixelbook Go, which is now about 3 generations back chip-wise and its still quite snappy (Chrome OS is very light, doesn't require much proceessing power). Plus it wakes up in less than 10 seconds when I open the lid. My daughter's Windows 11 machine (provided by her school), is so slow and so complicated.

Only thing I would suggest is a get a machine with at least 8GB of Ram, especially if you keep alot of tabs open.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:57 am
djh1201 wrote:I even been using Apple products for years, and everythng I've read about the M1 Macbooks says they are amazing, but my sticking point is that I can buy a PREMIUM Chromebook (with a touchscreen), for about 1/2 of what a Macbook Pro costs.

I’ve never been a fan of touchscreen on a laptop. Just the reach is too far and doesn’t make sense (again, to me), when I have a great trackpad.

Depending on your use case; you’d probably like the M1 Air.

There was a streak when I was working a lot with detailed engineering design drawings away from a desk. I used touch screen to quickly zoom in/out and pan the screen. Other than that I agree 100% that touch screen is pretty low priority.
The Hapa

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:36 pm

Finally did something about this. I ended up with an Asus Vivobook with 12GB RAM. I didn't think a Chromebook would be powerful enough for what I was wanting to do. For now I still have the iPad Pro, but I don't think I'll keep it long term. It just seems a bit nuts to have both. Happy with my decision though. I've wanted a proper laptop for awhile.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:36 pm

Weird, double post out the gate with the new computer. :lol:

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:51 pm

I love my iPad Pro 10.5. More than my MacBook Air. But I haven’t been working the last few years.

Now that I’m headed back, I’m happy to have the Air. I think it’s like what many of the others said. The right tool for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:59 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:51 pm
I love my iPad Pro 10.5. More than my MacBook Air. But I haven’t been working the last few years.

Now that I’m headed back, I’m happy to have the Air. I think it’s like what many of the others said. The right tool for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely true. I'll probably keep both. If I parted with my iPad I'd be the only one in the house that didn't have the phone, tablet, and laptop combo. It is convenient.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:11 pm

dukerules wrote:The first gen M1 Macs (Pro and Air) are incredible. I've been using an M1 MBP for a year, and have been extremely happy. The base M1 chip and architecture is crazy good. The M1 Max/Pro look to be a significant step above but likely not necessary unless you are doing video and other processor-intensive work.
I have an older MacBook that doesn’t allow me to use dual monitors. I’m thinking of upgrading it. Will the M1’s support dual monitors? I have two HP monitors for my home office and don’t really want to but a new windows based laptop if I can do it on a MacBook.

EDIT: Just researched it and it looks like the 14” models and larger with the M1 Pro or M1 Max chips support multiple monitors. I need to keep a Mac for programming a DIY automatic pancreas / insulin pump system I use and we need a new computer for our home business we’ll be starting, so I’ll probably upgrade to a 14”.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:58 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:11 pm
dukerules wrote:The first gen M1 Macs (Pro and Air) are incredible. I've been using an M1 MBP for a year, and have been extremely happy. The base M1 chip and architecture is crazy good. The M1 Max/Pro look to be a significant step above but likely not necessary unless you are doing video and other processor-intensive work.
I have an older MacBook that doesn’t allow me to use dual monitors. I’m thinking of upgrading it. Will the M1’s support dual monitors? I have two HP monitors for my home office and don’t really want to but a new windows based laptop if I can do it on a MacBook.
I see you updated as I was typing this, but anyway.....

The newer Macbook Pro M1's support dual external displays (one via hdmi port and one via usb-c or usb-c to displayport via adapter (both can be 4K).

The first M1 Macbook only supports one external display, but there are workarounds like using a DisplayLink adapter.

I run a Macbook Pro M1 14 connected to a 32" 4k display (Gigabyte AORUS FI32U) @144hz and it's fantastic. That display is also connected to a home built PC for gaming and it's easy to switch back and forth with the same keyboard/mouse as the monitor has a built in KVM switch.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:04 pm

I think I might relist the iPad Pro after all. I have been using my new laptop (Asus Vivobook 12GB RAM, 256GB) even for watching videos on YouTube and the Ad Block options for YouTube have been great, which isn't even an option on the iOS YouTube app. Other than browsing, that's all I've used the iPad for.