Let’s talk iPhones

Get your nerd on.
r.palace

Let’s talk iPhones

Post by r.palace » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:30 am

I know there are enough tech heads on here and I value your opinions more than some floofy bullshit review so I ask; which iPhone is best to get if battery life is my concern?

My iPhone 8 is on its death bed. I do prefer the smaller form factor; funny how society wanted smaller phones and now they’re bigger than ever.

I know I’m pretty much SOL for a smaller phone (the 12 mini is out of the question - just feels too small in the hand) but I’m open to upgrading in size.

I’ve heard really good things about the 11 and 11 Pro. Some people are even saying they’re better than their 12 series counterparts, especially in the battery department.

Prices are decent and I keep my phones for a few years so I don’t mind an older model especially at a discounted price.

I’m not a photographer and I don’t watch many movies on my phone. Mainly used for calls, texting, browsing, and the occasional COD session. I’m to the point where I’m charging my phone 2-3 times a day.

Your thoughts are appreciated
Last edited by r.palace on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

BlueSky
Name: David

Re: Let’s talk iPhones

Post by BlueSky » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am

FWIW...My wife has the X and the 11 battery life is supposed to be (significantly?) better. I tell you this because she uses the hell out of her X, much to my chagrin, and has had no battery issues.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am

I struggled with this decision for a few months. Revisited when the 12 came out. Decided the MagSafe magnets were a deal breaker. No deals to be had new on 11 Pros and standard 11s with their screen tech is just old now. At least the standard 12s have OLED displays. I dropped and broke my 8 Plus back glass about a year ago and just dealt with it due to cost to replace. It’s now turned into tiny shards and is working its way through my Dbrand skin. I really like Touch ID and I had high hopes of it returning on the 12. So between no Touch ID, magnets, and the notch I’m just out on Apple I guess. I ended up ordering a new OnePlus phone last night. It’s my first Android phone since the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out.

Really though if you liked the 8 and wanted a replacement, the SE is a good choice, but if you’re like me you’re likely ready for some new tech instead. I keep my phones a long time so I tend to get one of the latest models and run it 2-3 years.

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 am

strictly battery life - 12 Pro Max and 11 Pro Max are said to have the best battery life. but it's also the biggest and most expensive.

the 12 uses qualcomm chip and supports 5G while the 11 uses Intel and does not support 5G. (Note: I'm on T-Mo and in some area when it goes on 5G it's actually slower than LTE).

If you plan on hanging on to it for a few years then get the 12. If you upgrade every year, I guess the 11 is ok. apple no longer sells the 11 Pro or Pro Max. the battery life for the regular 11 and 12 are the same.

I just picked up a 12 and traded in an XR and the battery life have improved. I go a 2-3 days between charges but I'm not a heavy user. Email/imessage, lots of notifications, social media. occasional zoom and YT.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:25 am

ikkoku wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 am
strictly battery life - 12 Pro Max and 11 Pro Max are said to have the best battery life. but it's also the biggest and most expensive.

the 12 uses qualcomm chip and supports 5G while the 11 uses Intel and does not support 5G. (Note: I'm on T-Mo and in some area when it goes on 5G it's actually slower than LTE).

If you plan on hanging on to it for a few years then get the 12. If you upgrade every year, I guess the 11 is ok. apple no longer sells the 11 Pro or Pro Max. the battery life for the regular 11 and 12 are the same.

I just picked up a 12 and traded in an XR and the battery life have improved. I go a 2-3 days between charges but I'm not a heavy user. Email/imessage, lots of notifications, social media. occasional zoom and YT.
Thanks for posting- I have an XR and thinking about a 12.

Mike

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 am

We're in the same boat - currently have 8 plus for me and the wife. My battery dies quickly and the audio is hard to hear unless on speaker. We're going for the 12 Pro. Saw my brother's last week and it's slightly smaller than the 8 plus but a much larger usable screen. We use our phones for hotspots, so I want the 5G, and we hold onto them for several generations. With no big savings on the 11's currently and the lack of 5G compatibility, the 12 is the logical choice for us.
Last edited by BacoNoir on Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 am

The battery on these seemed to increase greatly when Apple upped their sizes.

The XS Max used to get me through almost all my day.

Starting on the 11 Pro Max I could continuously go all day without needing a recharge. It was the first phone I didn’t buy a battery case for.

So if battery is key you have to get one of the Max models.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am

nweash wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 am
The battery on these seemed to increase greatly when Apple upped their sizes.

The XS Max used to get me through almost all my day.

Starting on the 11 Pro Max I could continuously go all day without needing a recharge. It was the first phone I didn’t buy a battery case for.

So if battery is key you have to get one of the Max models.
Same experience. 11 Pro Max or 12 Pro Max will last you for years. Spend a little more now, and you'll have a phone that will last you for awhile.
:htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:48 am

I’m thrilled with the battery life on my 11.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:48 pm

Very happy with my XS - great battery life, camera, screen, etc. I also held on to my iphone 8 forever, didn't think I wanted the bigger form factor, but I quickly adjusted, would hate to go back now (and its still quite pocketable).

Picked it up refurbished on Swappa and paid less than 1/2 new as well.

Between that and using Mint Mobile I'm very happy with my setup (and saving a bundle over what I used to pay with Verizon).

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Also thrilled with the battery life of my 11. May just to the newer SE or Mini once I own this thing in a few months, as a smaller phone wouldn’t be a bad thing.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:14 am

Thanks for all the comments fellas. Decided on the 11 Pro, should be here soon
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu: