Get your nerd on.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: iPhone to Android?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed May 27, 2020 12:58 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am
The screen is delicate, the charger cable will not make good contact with the phone so it can be awkward to charge.
These are the two issues I have had with my wife and daughters last 4 iphones :banghead: I can't tell you how many screens I have replaced and charging ports. The last thing to go on them was the microphones. User error? Probably. But there were a pain in the ass.

For the price the Pixel does it for me. It is not perfect but I did not pay Iphone prices for it.

But what works for one person does not always work for the others. :salute:

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:07 pm

This is all making me think too much!

I've liked that both my iPhones lasted well and hardware wise were / are very solid products. The lack of availabilty here and the difficulty / cost to import one during Covid makes this harder than it should be. I recon if I was up there and could pick up an XR for $599 I'd be all over it. I'll probably get the home button and camera replaced on my 6S and see what happens with the 11 later in the year. By then hopefully our borders will be open and I can get one more easily. Or just buy an SE, it's got everything except the screen size and the price is right.

I also checked with my carrier and there are no plans to support Apple's esim anytime soon, this is a bummer, just stick two slots in it!

james80

Post by james80 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:02 am
logan2z wrote:
Late to this thread but my two cents...

I love Android but think that Google's hardware is inferior to Apple's. I'd go so far as to call it crap, IME. I've had more trouble with my Pixel than I've ever had with previous iPhones. The screen is delicate, the camera went belly up and the charger cable will not make good contact with the phone so it can be awkward to charge. I never had any hardware-related issues with any of the iPhones I've owned. I'll probably go back to an iPhone next time around.
This was my experience as well. I went Pixel w/ Pixel buds back w/ the Pixel 2. I returned it under warranty b/c the screen scratched like butter, the picture quality in low-light was bad, and the Pixel buds were horrible in both sound and connection. Being the first to have new versions of the OS sounds nice, but in practice it just meant there were often incompatibilities w/ apps and OS (not Google's fault necessarily, but still a downside). I went back to the iPhone immediately and haven't regretted it.

There is a lot I like about the Android ecosystem, but I also don't want to be thinking about my phone too often. For now, iPhone still does "personal phone" better for my preferences.
logan2z wrote:

I love Android but think that Google's hardware is inferior to Apple's. I'd go so far as to call it crap, IME. I've had more trouble with my Pixel than I've ever had with previous iPhones. The screen is delicate, the camera went belly up and the charger cable will not make good contact with the phone so it can be awkward to charge. I never had any hardware-related issues with any of the iPhones I've owned. I'll probably go back to an iPhone next time around.
Do either of you use Whatsapp? Were you able to restore your chat back up on the new device with or without third party software?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 pm

I definitely agree two slots > one slot.

james80

Post by james80 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:35 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 pm
I definitely agree two slots > one slot.
I wondered how long that was going to take!

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 pm

james80 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
logan2z wrote:

This was my experience as well. I went Pixel w/ Pixel buds back w/ the Pixel 2. I returned it under warranty b/c the screen scratched like butter, the picture quality in low-light was bad, and the Pixel buds were horrible in both sound and connection. Being the first to have new versions of the OS sounds nice, but in practice it just meant there were often incompatibilities w/ apps and OS (not Google's fault necessarily, but still a downside). I went back to the iPhone immediately and haven't regretted it.

There is a lot I like about the Android ecosystem, but I also don't want to be thinking about my phone too often. For now, iPhone still does "personal phone" better for my preferences.
logan2z wrote:

Do either of you use Whatsapp? Were you able to restore your chat back up on the new device with or without third party software?
With all the complaints about fragile screens, I'm wondering, am I the only one who uses tempered glass screen protectors?
No, it's not Tourettes.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 pm

james80 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
logan2z wrote:

logan2z wrote:

With all the complaints about fragile screens, I'm wondering, am I the only one who uses tempered glass screen protectors?
No, it's not Tourettes.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed May 27, 2020 9:33 pm

ChuckW wrote:
james80 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
logan2z wrote:

logan2z wrote:

Nope. My wife and I both use them. She put up with a cracked screen for about 3 months and finally went in to the Apple store to have it replaced and they pealed it off - she walked out in shame and we laughed when she got home. We both forgot they were on there!
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 pm

I’ve never cracked a screen on my iPhone. Had pretty much everyone since the 4s I believe.
I’m careful but not obsessive. These days maybe even less careful, but I don’t throw in dirt or purposely put it in places where it could get damaged.
I always have a Spigen case on it of some kind, the $10-$15 ones.
No screen protectors so it does get scratched.
Last few years though I lease them so I get a new phone every 12 months.
That will change this year though. I’ll be getting the 12 pro most likely, but will be buying it from Apple and the plan is to keep for at least 4 years, so maybe I’ll put a screen protector on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dogmann
Name: Marc

Post by Dogmann » Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 am

Hi all,

I know everyone's use and therefore experience of a phone is different but I have had my Pixel 2 for a little over 3 years now and it was put in a Spigen case from day one and is still mint all this time later. I still get well over a full day on a charge and when I take the case off to get rid of the dust it looks and could pass for a brand new phone. Zero camera or speed issues and have no plans of getting a new phone until this one dies as it is still fast and does all I need with ease including the very useful WiFi calling as my home has less then great cover. But when it does die I will most definitely be getting what ever the latest Pixel will be then as pure Android and the software updates just make it such a great phone.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
Cartier Pasha 18k White Gold factory set diamond minute square and cabochon.
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 am

I use a Spigen second skin on screens. That way I do not have to worry about breaking the glass screen covers. I do not like them. I have a second skin now on our other phones so we don't have to deal with changing out the (fragile) impact glass screen covers.