Anyone still use a desktop PC?

Get your nerd on.
3migo
Name: Russell

Re: Anyone still use a desktop PC?

Post by 3migo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:22 pm

I use a desktop PC for personal use. I game on PC, so I built it myself.

I still use a company-issued laptop to get my work done, though.

DON
Name: Ontario

Post by DON » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:51 pm

PC's are all I've owned. I can adapt it anyway I want whereas Apple is pretty much Apple only products

Use mine for work and gaming, but not a high powered gaming PC.

Currently replaying part of Half-Life which works with MS10. Sadly. Can't play FO3 with MS10

DON

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:33 am

I just got a new desktop. My old one was starting to show its age. I got a pretty good deal on a HP at Sam's. Also purchased a new 32 inch curved monitor. That's taking a bit to get used too. Very bright. LOL
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:27 am

Laptop and dual screens for me. Docking station so I can use a "normal" keyboard and mouse.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:53 pm

I still use my 27" iMac in my studio. It has 32 gig ram, double what my MacBook Pro has, so for very large productions, I find it useful. Also, my tired eyes like the large screen!
Stephen

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:18 pm

Haven’t had a desktop for a couple of years at home and don’t miss it… VPN into a desktop for work though—-when working remotely..

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Anyone still use a desktop PC?

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpad and a MBP for personal, and a HP Elitebook and VPN to a Remote Desktop that is still connected at my home office for work. Just sold my iMac which had not been touched in a couple of years.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:38 pm

flyskate wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:53 pm
Also, my tired eyes like the large screen!
my eyes like that too. but i have a 4k 27" that i hook up my work and home laptops up to when i'm working. and my work laptop has 32gb of ram. wondering what i'll get to upgrade to in December when it goes off lease.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:22 pm

gwells wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:38 pm
flyskate wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:53 pm
Also, my tired eyes like the large screen!
my eyes like that too. but i have a 4k 27" that i hook up my work and home laptops up to when i'm working. and my work laptop has 32gb of ram. wondering what i'll get to upgrade to in December when it goes off lease.
Unfortunately, my lap top is capped at 16 gig ram, so iMac for now.
Stephen

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:58 pm

had macbooks for the past few years.. but just bought a m1 mac mini to play around with.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 pm

For the last two months I've had a Mac Mini M1 set up. I have no need for laptops anymore.

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:22 am

Interested to hear impressions on the Mac Mini. I have a MBP laptop that I barely use, and a Samsung 4K monitor that I use as a second screen for my work HP. Maybe I can just use the Mini as my main Apple base and get a spare keyboard and mouse… Hmmmmm.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:26 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:22 am
Interested to hear impressions on the Mac Mini. I have a MBP laptop that I barely use, and a Samsung 4K monitor that I use as a second screen for my work HP. Maybe I can just use the Mini as my main Apple base and get a spare keyboard and mouse… Hmmmmm.
My wife uses a mac mini as her "big" computer. She has a wireless mac keyboard and trackpad. It works really well.

I use a desktop PC at work. It's a quad CPU Xenon based system. If I wasn't running large scale simulations locally, I'd probably use a mac mini and just do all system intensive stuff remotely on the university's grid.

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:31 am

Cool. I could sell my current MBP and buy a Mac Mini for that amount, so it would be a wash. Already have a spare wireless keyboard and mouse.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:34 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:31 am
Cool. I could sell my current MBP and buy a Mac Mini for that amount, so it would be a wash. Already have a spare wireless keyboard and mouse.
It's totally doable. I got the department to buy me the hugest most expensive macbook pro available and the $1000 mini doesn't seem any worse.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:06 am

I’ve always had an office job, so up until COVID it was desktops for me. While I’d used them sporadically before, I’ve really had to adapt to the laptop over the past year.

I like the portability of the laptop. I’ve found a desktop with a good monitor, keyboard, and mouse is easier to use, at least for what I do.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:10 am

JBZ wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:06 am
I’ve always had an office job, so up until COVID it was desktops for me. While I’d used them sporadically before, I’ve really had to adapt to the laptop over the past year.

I like the portability of the laptop. I’ve found a desktop with a good monitor, keyboard, and mouse is easier to use, at least for what I do.
Two big monitors > laptop monitor, for most of what I do. However a laptop stuck on a docking station for “desk work” seems to be the ideal if you don’t need superior processing capabilities or upgrade ability.

Since I do most of my work on the cloud I’m pretty solid jumping from desktop pc to laptop pc to laptop Mac. Besides programming and file directories pc and mac have become almost interchangeable.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:39 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:10 am
JBZ wrote:

Two big monitors > laptop monitor, for most of what I do. However a laptop stuck on a docking station for “desk work” seems to be the ideal if you don’t need superior processing capabilities or upgrade ability.

Since I do most of my work on the cloud I’m pretty solid jumping from desktop pc to laptop pc to laptop Mac. Besides programming and file directories pc and mac have become almost interchangeable.
Two monitors are great for document comparisons and edits, even with redlining. Or for running property descriptions. It was something I never knew I was missing until I got it.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:46 am

JBZ wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:39 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Two monitors are great for document comparisons and edits, even with redlining. Or for running property descriptions. It was something I never knew I was missing until I got it.
I know. It’s so helpful for manuscript preparation. When I got my job they offered two 42 inch monitors and it seemed excessive. Now I wish I had three that were bigger so I could panel them vertically.

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Yes. An old Dell.
Andy

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:06 pm

nweash wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:14 pm
Joeprez wrote:
nweash wrote:Always had a desktop for gaming since about 1996.

Started building my own in 2016. It’s a lot of fun even with the occasional headache.

Really prefer the ultra wide curve vs dual monitor setup.

Here’s my “battle station” as they call it nowadays. Don’t mind the dust.

Gibson SG's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Left to right fender tele spalted maple top. Washburn idol series from their now defunct custom shop. And two more fender teles with amber flamed top and Jim root series.

Picked up Tele for my little purple flower..
Fender Telecaster - Butterscotch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:17 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:26 am
I use a desktop PC at work. It's a quad CPU Xenon based system. If I wasn't running large scale simulations locally, I'd probably use a mac mini and just do all system intensive stuff remotely on the university's grid.
Matlab/Simulink? I had a ball working with that stuff when I was in school.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Selym wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:17 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:26 am
Matlab/Simulink? I had a ball working with that stuff when I was in school.
I use matlab a lot for discrete numeric stuff, but sometimes I’ll use Mathematica if I’m trying to do something continuously or in closed form. Mathematica is hugely resource intensive. I’m also doing various statistical things in SAS, Stata, or R.

Ok edit: I wish I would have take a matlab class in undergrad. Having to learn it all on the fly sucks.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:34 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
powerful laptops are more expensive than desktops, but very few people are doing things that need more power than you can find in a laptop. we're doing high-res 3D architectural rendering on laptops at my office. there are a few very high end laptops that we share, but our architect are doing pretty high quality renderings in rhino and other rendering platforms with our standard cad workstation laptops. there are next to no desktop computers left anywhere in our architecture firm of 2000ish people.

as far as dual monitors, that's been my mode of operation for 20+ years. i even had two 20" CRTs at one point. most recently, working at home, i switched from a FHD portable second monitor (still great for traveling second monitor) to my 4K 15.6" laptop screen alongside a 27" 4K monitor. and damn, never want to work on anything smaller now. working on a stupid IT req at work where you have to justify the shit out of everything for IT if it's not standard, even a $400 monitor, so i can have at least one of them there. i have two FHD 20" monitors and it feels like i'm stepping back 5 years in tech when i'm working now.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:43 pm

We haven’t had a desktop at home in years. We have several laptops.
I also haven’t used a desktop at the office in years
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)