Nest Hello vs Ring Video Pro

Get your nerd on.
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Probably will be getting one or the other soon as my wife wants the extra security. I'll hardwire to the existing chime we have.

Any pros/cons of either appreciated. Obviously either will be better than the nothing we have, but wanted to hear from any real life experiences here.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Nest Hello vs Ring Video Pro

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm

There have been some recent privacy concerns over the Ring product. Might want to do some reading on that.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Hardwiring is nice since you’ll never have to recharge the device. Unfortunately the house I’m in now had a wireless setup and any remaining wiring is hidden under the siding now. I’ve been using the Ring doorbell with two houses for going on 4 years now without a hiccup, just now I have to charge it every few weeks.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I’ve had a Ring Pro for about 9 months or so. No issues whatsoever (other than Amazon or whomever knowing my every movement). I quite like the “neighborhood” feature that shows you what’s going on around town. I’m sure Nest has something similar.

So, that probably wasn’t very helpful :). But I can’t imagine not having one now.
- Todd

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Amazon vs Google.

I love my two nest cameras though. The app is super easy to navigate and the live scrubbing I couldn’t live without. It shows gray markings for motion and yellow if it detects people.

If ring does all that I guess just choose the better deal.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 pm

I chose Nest because I already had a lot of other Google products that are starting to become more integrated (Nest thermostat, home security, Google Home, Google Wifi). I'm happy with it. I also have Nest cameras elsewhere inside and outside the house. Reliability has been good so far.
:htfu:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:29 pm

I use ring. No complaints and works great.

I integrate it with Arlo and Wyze cams and use the echo show 5 to integrate on a common platform along with my iPhone. It’s all easily integrated in one place.

When I got the ring video pro I got it from amazon and they included an echo show 5....
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:49 pm

DP
Last edited by Captdave on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Not one of your choices, but I use Arlo and am very happy.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:52 pm
Not one of your choices, but I use Arlo and am very happy.
I have an Arlo for an extra camera and while the Ring doorbell is handy when someone rings the bell, the camera picks up all motion on my property which is nice.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks for the input guys, but I may have to flip a coin as I keep going back and forth.

Costco has the Ring Pro for $169.99 which Includes a 12 Months Ring Protect Plus Plan.

They also have the Nest Hello for $139.99 which includes 6 Months Nest Aware Subscription.

Originally had been leaning towards Nest anyway based on most independent reviews I've read favor it for one reason or another.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:17 am

Ring is a straight up spy cam with serious privacy issues coming to light just recently.

Though I wouldn't go near either of them TBH.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 am

Seppia wrote:None for me.
Enough privacy concerns with the mobile phone already (even if I take every possible step to minimize the damage), would never consider voluntarily putting a wiretap (Alexa or similar) or a spycam in my apartment.
I'm of the same belief and have no need or desire to have a listening device in my house, but I'm willing to put up with a video doorbell.

Like you said the phone is bad enough. I'm not on any social media, but sometimes when my wife and I talk about a specific product for example, an ad will later appear on her Facebook. This is even before one of us looked anything up online about it.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am

My parents bought us an Alexa, which seemed cool at the time. But once all of the privacy issues came to light, we unplugged it.

I'm not into the front door monitors. Just don't see the need, and the privacy stuff bothers me.

That said, I assume everyone in the world who wants it has my personal information at this point.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 am

JBZ wrote:
That said, I assume everyone in the world who wants it has my personal information at this point.
QFT :shrug:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 am

I have nest everything. Good product.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:58 am

andrema wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 am
I have nest everything. Good product.
This is what I have right now at my main house. The doorbell comes this week. We also have the smoke detectors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 pm

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:50 am

I have three rings, a doorbell, a spotlight cam and a floodlight cam. The spotlight cam is mounted to a back yard trellis with one of their solar panels. It all works great and the app is super easy and I love the ability to network with neighbors through the app as I live in a semi-urban area. Whatever brand you go with, make sure you compare the apps as usability is key with cameras.

All of my camera's are mounted outside, so not really concerned about privacy.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:09 am

Yeah I am staying away from this stuff for a while...what I dont understand is if someone wants to get in your house and you have a ring or nest doorbell it is not necessarily safer as they advertise. I get it you can answer from anywhere, but if you are in a meeting and dont answer doesn't the person assume you are not home? It is obvious you have one of these. Or if you are home and on a conference call or busy again wouldn't they assume you were out? Or going through an airport and someone gets paged in the background isn't that a dead giveaway too? Just trying to figure out what makes it better than say just a camera. Not arguing or trying to stir the pot.

Just curious, I have always wondered on the logic behind this thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 am

ncstate1201 wrote:Yeah I am staying away from this stuff for a while...what I dont understand is if someone wants to get in your house and you have a ring or nest doorbell it is not necessarily safer as they advertise. I get it you can answer from anywhere, but if you are in a meeting and dont answer doesn't the person assume you are not home? It is obvious you have one of these. Or if you are home and on a conference call or busy again wouldn't they assume you were out? Or going through an airport and someone gets paged in the background isn't that a dead giveaway too? Just trying to figure out what makes it better than say just a camera. Not arguing or trying to stir the pot.

It’s the fact that you can subscribe to cloud recording, so faces, license plates, and other identifying information is stored. That’s a strong deterrent, especially for local crimes of opportunity.

If you’re a jewelry store with millions in inventory and someone from out of state plans a heist for months, then yeah, the smart doorbell isn’t going to help much.
:htfu:

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:08 am

ncstate1201 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:09 am
Yeah I am staying away from this stuff for a while...what I dont understand is if someone wants to get in your house and you have a ring or nest doorbell it is not necessarily safer as they advertise. I get it you can answer from anywhere, but if you are in a meeting and dont answer doesn't the person assume you are not home? It is obvious you have one of these. Or if you are home and on a conference call or busy again wouldn't they assume you were out? Or going through an airport and someone gets paged in the background isn't that a dead giveaway too? Just trying to figure out what makes it better than say just a camera. Not arguing or trying to stir the pot.

For us it's more about other features than actually answering the ring remotely (we have a Ring). Motion detection feature lets us know when someone is at the front door (quite often packages are delivered but they don't press the ring button). If we are away, we can check to see who was at the door (motion or ring or both) either immediately or after the fact if busy at the time. Different sounds for each.

I don't think of it as safety as much except for the fact that unless they are stupid (quite possible) if they approach the front door they know they are being recorded and/or someone may be alerted to their activity.

For safety, we have an alarm, which was critical the one time we were 75 miles away and they actually broke into the house (went in under the house and broke through the sheetrock to get inside). The second they came into the downstairs hall the motion alarm triggered and they fled immediately. That saved our asses as my wife had left some jewelry out and there were other things of value lying around.

On a more comical note, our dog knows the Ring sounds and starts barking/goes on high alert when motion or ring is triggered. We have been traveling with him, and a Ring Doorbell commercial is on TV and he goes crazy when he hears one of the ring sounds :lol:

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:10 am

Thanks guys and makes more sense to me now. We have alarms and cameras but see your points on the additional features, hadn't really investigated it much.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:24 am

raf42 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:08 am
On a more comical note, our dog knows the Ring sounds and starts barking/goes on high alert when motion or ring is triggered. We have been traveling with him, and a Ring Doorbell commercial is on TV and he goes crazy when he hears one of the ring sounds :lol:
Yep, our dog as well.... and that commercial drives me nuts as he jumps up from wherever he is sleeping and goes running towards the door barking....

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Got too busy and missed out on the $139.99 sale on the Nest Hello, and $169.99 on the Ring Pro at Costco. Both now over $200 so I'm waiting. I have a mental block paying over that amount just to "ring my bell".

I see Best Buy has the Arlo Video doorbell for $149.99 so may have a look at that one.