Name: Carl

Re: Nest Hello vs Ring Video Pro

Post by bedlam » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:06 pm

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:16 pm

To be fair, a lot of these incidents are based on user stupidity...
:htfu:

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:30 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:16 pm
To be fair, a lot of these incidents are based on user stupidity...
True, and as such its a PSA

Still wouldn't have one in my house.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:47 am

I saw that and the stupidity imo is actually having one inside your home. I don't have a problem with a doorbell basically viewing my porch.

3migo
Name: Russell

Post by 3migo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Not sure if you're still looking for input here, but I'd absolutely pick Nest over the Ring.

We bought a Ring when the first generation came out, and it has been one of the worst technology purchases I've ever made. We have gigabit wifi speeds, and it still is slow to load the video feed, and audio/visual quality is average at best, and sometimes you can barely understand the folks on the other side. Frequently, by the time the video loads, the person has already left our porch.

The Ring App is also atrociously bad. It will show you a "preview" of your porch, but that's literally just a still from the last time you loaded it up. It's pointless. Requiring you to load into the full feed, which is super slow. Ring also does not give you *any*, I repeat, *any* free storage whatsoever. Someone at the door and you missed it? Too bad. Unless you want to pay Ring a monthly fee, the will keep NONE of the footage for you, nor is there an option for local storage.

I got so fed up with our Ring that we got a Nest doorbell to replace it. The hardware and software is so much better, and I prefer Nest's business practices to those of Ring. Amazon/Ring's cooperation with law enforcement without even having to ask you is not something that I take comfort in, when some random cop could be watching my doorbell at any moment and I have no idea.

Anyways, all this to say, our experience with Ring has been one of constant frustration. Using Ring was a glimpse at what could be a great product, constantly held back by its own faults. Granted, this was the first generation Ring, and maybe they've improved, but certain things like the lack of free storage are still going to be true, and that was a massive pain point for us.

I'd highly suggest going the Nest route. Nest's suite of other home automation products is way better than Ring's anyways.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:51 am

3migo wrote:Not sure if you're still looking for input here, but I'd absolutely pick Nest over the Ring.

We bought a Ring when the first generation came out, and it has been one of the worst technology purchases I've ever made. We have gigabit wifi speeds, and it still is slow to load the video feed, and audio/visual quality is average at best, and sometimes you can barely understand the folks on the other side. Frequently, by the time the video loads, the person has already left our porch.

The Ring App is also atrociously bad. It will show you a "preview" of your porch, but that's literally just a still from the last time you loaded it up. It's pointless. Requiring you to load into the full feed, which is super slow. Ring also does not give you *any*, I repeat, *any* free storage whatsoever. Someone at the door and you missed it? Too bad. Unless you want to pay Ring a monthly fee, the will keep NONE of the footage for you, nor is there an option for local storage.

I got so fed up with our Ring that we got a Nest doorbell to replace it. The hardware and software is so much better, and I prefer Nest's business practices to those of Ring. Amazon/Ring's cooperation with law enforcement without even having to ask you is not something that I take comfort in, when some random cop could be watching my doorbell at any moment and I have no idea.

Anyways, all this to say, our experience with Ring has been one of constant frustration. Using Ring was a glimpse at what could be a great product, constantly held back by its own faults. Granted, this was the first generation Ring, and maybe they've improved, but certain things like the lack of free storage are still going to be true, and that was a massive pain point for us.

I'd highly suggest going the Nest route. Nest's suite of other home automation products is way better than Ring's anyways.
We actually got both the Nest Hello and Google Hub for Christmas and I just installed the doorbell yesterday. Set up was a breeze. Drilling 2 anchor holes in my brick was the most difficult thing I had to do.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:49 am

We have Kuna porch light which is motion activated camera and allows two way conversation with someone at the door. It also is reasonably inexpensive at Costco. when we got it I think it was $100. It wires in just like a regular light fixture and runs off your wifi. App is good and easy to use and set up. Like it much better than the ring. Also no one knows it’s a camera/two way speaker. They just think it’s a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 am

This is a head's up for the Ring users. Can't say I am shocked on this one.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... ort-finds/
Amazon's Ring line of home surveillance products has come under intense scrutiny in recent months following a seemingly endless litany of worrying revelations about Ring's police partnerships, account security, vulnerabilities, employee snooping, and sharing of extremely detailed location data. Now, we have a new report to add to the pile: it seems the app that customers use to manage and control a Ring camera is sending all kinds of personal data around as well.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:23 pm

OMG so surprising. Who'da thought.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:26 pm

While we are at it. Same, same, but different...anyone running Avast?

https://hothardware.com/news/avast-anti ... er-history

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Shit every workstation and server at my office runs avast.

Hopefully companies don’t pay too much to know what tax software website I’m visiting.