Iphone 11 Pro

Get your nerd on.
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Iphone 11 Pro

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am

Didn’t see much discussion on these so far, and since I got the Pro a few days ago, thought I would share my opinions on it.

Of course, just like last year, it is small incremental changes. Actually, I shouldn’t say that, last year the phones were basically the same as the X, only we got the Max version and the budget XR.

This year, the Pro versions are upgraded a little more. The camera upgrades are the biggest differences and it seems Iphone really went all out hardware and software wise for the cameras. I have only taken food and outdoor shots so far as I really don’t take watch pics with my phone, but going to try it out in studio later today so I will upload some pics later.

The glass back on the Pro versions is now frosted, and it creates a nice look, it’s still slippery, but maybe a little more grippy than the polished glass. Otherwise, besides new colors, it has a brighter screen and “Super Retina HDR” and Dolby Audio. There is a difference when looking at last years model in both the screen and the audio, but nothing that will blow you away. It’s better, but marginally better.

IOS 13 of course adds a lot of new features and as far as I know, there are only two real features that the new phones will get over an older phone running IOS13-Deep Fusion for the cameras, which comes out tomorrow in the 13.1 update, and Night Mode. Deep Fusion is supposed to make the photos even better by taking a few pics before you even hit the shutter button, a few after, takes the best one, and then reduces noise, over exposure, adds more detail etc, all within a second. I’ll test that out tomorrow I guess.

Night Mode Photos.
This is a great feature and in my limited testing, really does work well. Keep in mind, in complete darkness, photos will still look blurry and like shit. Night Mode basically lightens it up with software and does a longer exposure to help bring in any light into the photo. If there is no light at all, it doesn’t work. Makes sense. If you are in pretty low light, it will do a 3 second exposure. That’s hand held. If you put it on a tripod, it will do a 5-6 second exposure. Basically, if you are at a concert or a game, or at a restaurant with dim lighting, in a room of your house at night that doesn’t have lights on but light is still coming from another room, this will be a nice feature to take a good photo without having to use the flash.

Otherwise, it still works like any other iPhone. The build quality is nice, the new colors are nice, (I got midnight green), and some of the new features in IOS13 are nice as well.
I had an XR, so getting a pro was an upgrade. I went with the regular Pro because I hate carrying around the massive 6.5 inch max around. I like the screen size of the Max, but hate it in the pocket. I do miss the size of the XR, especially being able to have zoomed view on the home-screen, just made all the app icons a little larger and easier to read, but this phone is great to pocket and the OLED display with the increased brightness is a good trade off.

Here’s a pic of the midnight green with the pine green apple silicone case. As you can see, lying down and next to that case, it doesn’t look that green, it looks more space grey. When the light hits it right though, you can see it is a nice shade of green.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by tattoo chef on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Iphone 11 Pro

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:16 am

I’m going to keep my 7Plus one more year. I’m happy with the CarPlay changes in iOS 13.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:23 am

I’m likely to grab the 11 Pro and give my Xs to my brother (or sell it if he doesn’t want it). The reported 4 hours of additional, usable battery life makes the 11 Pro a win for me.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I’m likely to grab the 11 Pro and give my Xs to my brother (or sell it if he doesn’t want it). The reported 4 hours of additional, usable battery life makes the 11 Pro a win for me.
Until they update the operating software before the release of the next version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Captdave wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:I’m likely to grab the 11 Pro and give my Xs to my brother (or sell it if he doesn’t want it). The reported 4 hours of additional, usable battery life makes the 11 Pro a win for me.
Until they update the operating software before the release of the next version.

I don’t understand.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:32 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Captdave wrote:

I don’t understand.

He means they will slow it down, which isn’t true. People have been stating since updating to iOS 13 not only better battery life but also more storage space as apps take up less space now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:37 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Captdave wrote:

I don’t understand.

He means they will slow it down, which isn’t true. People have been stating since updating to iOS 13 not only better battery life but also more storage space as apps take up less space now.

OK, makes sense.

I’m not worried about the future as I’ll have a 12 by then.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:17 pm

I got the 11 Pro Max on Friday. I don’t think anything is revolutionary, but I update every year just to not have my phone ever be a burden. I rarely worry about battery or performance, which is important given how much of most professional and personal life is empowered/enhanced by seamless mobile capabilities.

So far, so good. Though I’m not opposed to replacing it with a Pixel 4 if it’s great.
:htfu:

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:20 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:16 am
I’m going to keep my 7Plus one more year. I’m happy with the CarPlay changes in iOS 13.
That and finally having swipe which Apple is calling quick path. Add in dark mode theme and this is officially the best iOS update since I got my first iPhone, which wasn’t until the 5. I’m holding out for another Touch ID iPhone before I replace this 8 Plus.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:54 pm

matt.wu wrote:I got the 11 Pro Max on Friday. I don’t think anything is revolutionary, but I update every year just to not have my phone ever be a burden. I rarely worry about battery or performance, which is important given how much of most professional and personal life is empowered/enhanced by seamless mobile capabilities.

So far, so good. Though I’m not opposed to replacing it with a Pixel 4 if it’s great.
I do the same. I’m on a lease program -and get this, I can’t buy it at the end of the lease, even if I wanted to. They don’t allow it in the state of PA (and a few other states as well). So, I’m forced to upgrade. I may let this lease run out though and just buy the phone from Apple next year and keep it for a few.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
What happens to CarPlay? I just updated my X to iOS 13.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:00 pm

TSD wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/24/1869 ... l=1*vj3t8r*
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:53 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:00 pm
TSD wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/24/1869 ... l=1*vj3t8r*
Multifunction apps side by side. :dance:

I use Sirius plus CarPlay exclusively in my old truck, so that will be an improvement.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 pm

So, after about 14 hours, (8:30am to 10:30pm) the battery on my 11 pro is at 17%.
I really tried to kill it today. Reports say it has a 3,110 mAh battery.
I have it in dark mode and have auto brightness on as always.
Lots of video watching, picture taking, web browsing and more today, and it actually did last a real full day.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:02 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 pm
So, after about 14 hours, (8:30am to 10:30pm) the battery on my 11 pro is at 17%.
I really tried to kill it today. Reports say it has a 3,110 mAh battery.
I have it in dark mode and have auto brightness on as always.
Lots of video watching, picture taking, web browsing and more today, and it actually did last a real full day.

useful, real world feedback, much appreciated chef, thanks!

nweash
Name: Nick

Iphone 11 Pro

Post by nweash » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Left for vacation an hour before mine showed up. Just got it last night. The 0.5x lens which is basically a wide angle seems like an awesome feature.

Standard 1x:

Didn’t move my phone and chose the 0.5x:

Damn my arm looks weird.

Can’t say I could pass up the almost OD green option either Image

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Iphone 11 Pro

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:24 pm

These were taken yesterday. Still not a replacement for a DSLR or mirrorless (nor will it ever be) and I think it does better in natural light, but not bad. All with portrait mode except the lume shot.
I still don’t like that you can’t toggle night mode on or off, I would have rather had it off for the lume shot.
These were edited only in the camera app, and I played with some of the portrait settings.
With exception of quick wrist shots, I’ll be leaving the watch shots to my canon and the phone for outdoor photography, restaurant meal photos and portraits.

ImageImageImageImageImage

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:31 pm

tattoo chef wrote:.....
I still don’t like that you can’t toggle night mode on or off, I would have rather had it off for the lume shot....
You can add it to the Control Center and toggle it on & off.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Hoppy, that’s dark mode .
Night mode is for the camera for low light shots. It comes on automatically when you are in a dark or low lit environment. Unfortunately you can’t turn it on or off.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm

tattoo chef wrote:Hoppy, that’s dark mode .
Night mode is for the camera for low light shots. It comes on automatically when you are in a dark or low lit environment. Unfortunately you can’t turn it on or off.

Oh, I didn’t know there was a difference. :lol:

nweash
Name: Nick

Iphone 11 Pro

Post by nweash » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:38 pm

tattoo chef wrote:Hoppy, that’s dark mode .

I was messing around and think I found it.

There’s a little up/down chevron at the top of the camera app when open that brings up some icon options. One looks to be night* mode.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Nweash, you are correct. You can toggle it off or adjust the exposure time. You can’t turn it on, but good to know you can turn it off.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Iphone 11 Pro

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Here’s some fun comparisons.
Again, night mode works best with a little light on.
These were shot with 9 and 10 second exposures in night mode.(basically max exposure)

Night mode off

Night mode on but porch light off (real fuzzy and grainy)

Night mode on and porch light on

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Mine is going back. Both AT&T and Apple (tech support) were unable to make my second line work on eSIM, so I’m back to the Xs. Oh well.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:39 pm

hoppyjr wrote:Mine is going back. Both AT&T and Apple (tech support) were unable to make my second line work on eSIM, so I’m back to the Xs. Oh well.
Could it just be that one phone??