Rangeman questions

Discussion of G-Shocks and related digital watches.
walkbythesea
Name: H

Rangeman questions

Post by walkbythesea » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:45 pm

Hullo, new to the forum with a couple of Rangeman questions.

I love my GWM5610 and love the look and feature set of the Rangeman but primarily want a watch that will measure water temperature for wild swimming and I can find very little information about whether the Rangeman will be suitable for this?

Also I’m guessing that the barometric pressure sensor can’t measure depth like a dive watch, but if I were to freedive a little with it would I damage it in any way?

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Rangeman questions

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:44 pm

Freediving would be ok, imo, and it does have a temp sensor, but I don’t really think it would be very accurate in the water? Could be wrong…

Welcome to DWC :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:44 pm
Freediving would be ok, imo, and it does have a temp sensor, but I don’t really think it would be very accurate in the water? Could be wrong…

The temp sensor on my old Rangeman is more accurate in the water than for ambient temp (since body temp affects the reading).

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:47 pm

TSD wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:44 pm

The temp sensor on my old Rangeman is more accurate in the water than for ambient temp (since body temp affects the reading).
That’s awesome! I can see how that would work now ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:27 am

Two points:

1. If the watch is on the wrist it won't be precise as it will be influenced by the body temp.
2. Usually one does not press buttons while under water as it might flood, WR is guaranteed only without pressing anything under water. So probably it won't really work in water unless you want to risk a disaster... :o

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:58 pm

CarloDWC wrote:Two points:

1. If the watch is on the wrist it won't be precise as it will be influenced by the body temp.
2. Usually one does not press buttons while under water as it might flood, WR is guaranteed only without pressing anything under water. So probably it won't really work in water unless you want to risk a disaster... :o
I can’t imagine that pressing a G Shock button underwater would have any impact on its water resistance.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:43 am

I though it was safe to push the buttons as they have multiple seals on each?
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:33 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:58 pm
CarloDWC wrote:Two points:

I can’t imagine that pressing a G Shock button underwater would have any impact on its water resistance.

I was specifically told this by the Casio Repair Center in regards to a Frogman they had repaired. It is a common knowledge with watches with push buttons like chronographs etc. It's like pulling in and out the crown, one would not want to do it under water.

There might one some that are specially sealed of course. :grin: