New Ares Mission Timer Rubber Strap

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:22 am

Man, this is really cool. No offense, I'm sure that it's a high quality strap (with a great guarantee), but somewhat pricey.

https://areswatches.com/shop/mission-timer-rubber-strap
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: New Ares Mission Timer Rubber Strap

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am

It looks great and I’m sure it’s very nice...but that price is out of my league for a rubber strap limited to only one watch (since it has the logo).
- Todd

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

I like the original design.

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:59 am

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am
It looks great and I’m sure it’s very nice...but that price is out of my league for a rubber strap limited to only one watch (since it has the logo).
Agree.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Would like to see an unbiased review on these before I drop that much on 2 pieces of rubber with a buckle. We all know what an Isofrane is worth, and those are pretty darn good. I’m a huge fan of the scurfa that terry sells. Have two of them. Very comfy. I think they are $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 pm

I do kinda like those crazy floral straps he just listed.
- Todd

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Same price as Isofrane, and hopefully equivalent to Isofrane.
The Hapa

Jiman
Name: Ji

Post by Jiman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Interesting that it says it’s “guaranteed for life”. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any strap with that kind of guarantee. If that’s true $140 is a relative bargain.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 pm

I was waiting for the strap to drop, but the price tag was a no-go for me. I’m sure it’s well designed, but it has no track record or reviews. I would have liked to see something before considering it.

Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Jiman wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:38 pm
Interesting that it says it’s “guaranteed for life”. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any strap with that kind of guarantee. If that’s true $140 is a relative bargain.
I have leather straps that show wear, but all my rubber straps look good as new.

What’s the typical “life” of a rubber strap?

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Has to be decade+ for a desk diver, with exception of manufacturing defect.
The Hapa

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:44 pm

That watch is probably perfect on an Isofrane. No way this is as comfortable.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:53 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:19 pm
Same price as Isofrane, and hopefully equivalent to Isofrane.
Although they're nice, I wouldn't pay Isofrane prices either.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Looks like the auto is about to be released as well and comes with one of these straps. $1850.
- Todd

Jiman

Post by Jiman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm

I’ve actually broken a few in my life, mostly when I was diving years ago. They all tended to start cracking/ripping at the springbar holes. IIRC, they were all Seiko rubber straps. I think I went through at least 3 straps in the course of @15-20yrs, maybe? The watch was a Seiko H558, which I still have but it doesn’t work anymore.

Never lost a watch this way, since it was a relatively slow process. Granted back in the day, I wasn’t as knowledgeable/careful as I am now. My watches never got rinsed off with fresh water or cared for in any special way. IMO, sun (uv), salt water, and time will wreck any rubber strap.

IMO, a lifetime guarantee is nice insurance...maybe it’s marketing, but it’s something no other brand offers that I’m aware off. I’ve read posts about guys who had tears or cracks on their strap from RubberB and was basically told they were SOL because their 1yr warranty (IIRC) was over. It’s a lot of money to pay for a rubber strap and be told the only thing they could do was to give him a discount on the purchase of a new strap.

Ultimately rubber straps are a wear item that are gonna wear out at some point depending on your lifestyle. I think it’s pretty ballsy to offer a lifetime guarantee. YMMV :cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 pm

Jiman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm
They all tended to start cracking/ripping at the springbar holes. IIRC, they were all Seiko rubber straps.
I have had this happen on a few older Seiko's also. I do not believe they are rubber straps. They are some kind of plastic/polythene strap.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Jiman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm
They all tended to start cracking/ripping at the springbar holes. IIRC, they were all Seiko rubber straps.
I have had this happen on a few older Seiko's also. I do not believe they are rubber straps. They are some kind of plastic/polythene strap.
My father in-law who wore his 6309 since new until a few years ago said he put a new strap on it about every 5 years. You can tell by handling the older Z22 they are not rubber.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

Jiman

Post by Jiman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm

You guys could be right. It’s been too long for me to remember. I tend to think of polyethylene straps like the kind that typically come on G-Shocks...it definitely wasn’t that. In either case, I’ve not worn a rubber strap for a couple of decades. For me it’s either NATO/ZULU if I’m doing something where I could lose my watch and bracelet for most other times.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am

mattcantwin wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 pm
Jiman wrote:
I have leather straps that show wear, but all my rubber straps look good as new.

I think it depends on the material quite a bit. Most of those that do think rubber straps don’t last long are probably used to polyurethane, such as the older Seikos. I find that the new silicone style Seiko straps develop unsightly shine from rubbing on surfaces which give them an uneven appearance. The Bonetto Cinturinis do much better than both of these wear wise for around the same price. The only strap I’ve had that doesn’t seem to show wear marks at all is the ISOfrane. I know a bunch of people say it’s the exact same compound as Bonetto Cinturini, but based on the feel and how they wear over time I don’t see how that’s possible. Like any strap it could get cut, but for some reason it seems to show no wear except on the buckle and I wear it almost daily. It constantly sees rain, snow, and direct sunlight. It sees high heat and humidity and gets banged on metal surfaces regularly. The last Seiko NAFT strap I have looked worn after two months. It seems strong and comfortable, but it just doesn’t look very good up close. I’d show a picture of how my ISOfrane is holding up, but it would just look like a picture of a new strap.

I would say if this strap is as good as an ISOfrane then some people might prefer it, but ISOfrane also has a classic recognizable style to pretty much any dive watch enthusiast.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Torrid wrote:
mattcantwin wrote:
Jiman wrote:

I think it depends on the material quite a bit. Most of those that do think rubber straps don’t last long are probably used to polyurethane, such as the older Seikos. I find that the new silicone style Seiko straps develop unsightly shine from rubbing on surfaces which give them an uneven appearance. The Bonetto Cinturinis do much better than both of these wear wise for around the same price. The only strap I’ve had that doesn’t seem to show wear marks at all is the ISOfrane. I know a bunch of people say it’s the exact same compound as Bonetto Cinturini, but based on the feel and how they wear over time I don’t see how that’s possible. Like any strap it could get cut, but for some reason it seems to show no wear except on the buckle and I wear it almost daily. It constantly sees rain, snow, and direct sunlight. It sees high heat and humidity and gets banged on metal surfaces regularly. The last Seiko NAFT strap I have looked worn after two months. It seems strong and comfortable, but it just doesn’t look very good up close. I’d show a picture of how my ISOfrane is holding up, but it would just look like a picture of a new strap.

I would say if this strap is as good as an ISOfrane then some people might prefer it, but ISOfrane also has a classic recognizable style to pretty much any dive watch enthusiast.
People like to bitch about Isofrane, but they’re the highest quality rubber straps around. I have some that are almost 10 years old (whenever they first came out) that still look great.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:34 am

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:23 pm
Looks like the auto is about to be released as well and comes with one of these straps. $1850.
He probably won't sell many of the $140 straps stand alone, but offering them at that price reassures people that buy the $1850 watch that they are getting a good strap on it. Might be more about marketing the watch than selling the straps.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 am

Chocodove wrote:Looks like the auto is about to be released as well and comes with one of these straps. $1850.
The auto ($1850) looks nice, but so does the quartz ($695).
And the movement upgrade is $1,155.00 United States dollars.
I know it’s gold plated, but for that price it should have a pu$$y on it.

I still haven’t tried one of the quartz. I need to at some point- especially the ranger green that was a limited release. Maybe if he makes that model a staple I’ll finally go for it.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 am
Chocodove wrote:Looks like the auto is about to be released as well and comes with one of these straps. $1850.

I still haven’t tried one of the quartz. I need to at some point- especially the ranger green that was a limited release. Maybe if he makes that model a staple I’ll finally go for it.

is it all 100% swiss made for $1850?
With the prices of Mido, Certina and a few other "lower" end Swatch owned brands which could be had for under <1K it's becoming increasingly hard to justify a micro for that kind of money. I know it's probably going to come with some used CIA jock strap but I don't care about silly value builders like that in order to justify the price.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 am

Panerai7 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 am

is it all 100% swiss made for $1850?
With the prices of Mido, Certina and a few other "lower" end Swatch owned brands which could be had for under <1K it's becoming increasingly hard to justify a micro for that kind of money. I know it's probably going to come with some used CIA jock strap but I don't care about silly value builders like that in order to justify the price.
I can’t speak for Matt, but it’s my understanding the movement is Swiss, the case is cut in China, and the caseback, watch assembly & calibration is done in Washington State.

I believe most of the “Swiss Made” stuff under $3k also use cases cut in China.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:09 am

Torrid wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am
mattcantwin wrote:
Jiman wrote:

I don’t have experience with this type of manufature, but I assume the quality of the product is more complicated than just the rubber compound. Isofrane probably has a proprietary additive and/or curing trick that makes the strap a little different.