Panerai7
Name: Art

Hodinkee Interview with Bonati - on 21 years leading OP

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:19 am

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Hodinkee Interview with Bonati - on 21 years leading OP

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Lucky dude. I’m not sure how much he did to ride the PAM wave. Smart to get out before he ruins his rep trying to sell watches that nobody wants.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm
Lucky dude. I’m not sure how much he did to ride the PAM wave. Smart to get out before he ruins his rep trying to sell watches that nobody wants.
Should have looked closer to Rolex model. Ruined the brand trying to appeal to everyone's "tastes" instead of shaping people's tastes to the model line. I still believe Panerai will rise from the ashes

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm
Should have looked closer to Rolex model. Ruined the brand trying to appeal to everyone's "tastes" instead of shaping people's tastes to the model line. I still believe Panerai will rise from the ashes
Richemont seems to be a vehicle for bad outcomes. JLC, Panerai, and IWC all seem poorly run.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm

I think you guys may be over dramatizing. I'm not sure the brand is actually in such dire straits. Maybe from the perspective of a hardcore collector the brand has become watered down and less appealing but I'm not sure that really matters much to their financial success. My AD (yes, Art, I have one too ;)) tells me that they're selling more Panerai than ever as the brand has made the watches more accessible to a wider audience (eg. smaller and thinner cases). And this is an AD that doesn't hesitate to tell me about the dogs in their lineup too so I think they're being truthful. Frankly I'd rather buy a Panerai with an in-house movement over nearly any current Rolex. They're far less common and I prefer the styling. And it's nice to be allowed to take home the whole package and feel like you actually own the watch :)

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm

logan2z wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm
I think you guys may be over dramatizing. I'm not sure the brand is actually in such dire straits. Maybe from the perspective of a hardcore collector the brand has become watered down and less appealing but I'm not sure that really matters much to their financial success. My AD (yes, Art, I have one too ;)) tells me that they're selling more Panerai than ever as the brand has made the watches more accessible to a wider audience (eg. smaller and thinner cases). And this is an AD that doesn't hesitate to tell me about the dogs in their lineup too so I think they're being truthful. Frankly I'd rather buy a Panerai with an in-house movement over nearly any current Rolex. They're far less common and I prefer the styling. And it's nice to be allowed to take home the whole package and feel like you actually own the watch :)
You're right I am over dramatizing just because I hate most of the new models and the general direction OP is heading with spring bars, snapback and 30M WR.
I never doubted you Andrew, every self-respecting watch collector has their own AD in their own town to build a face to face relationship, participate in AD sponsored events and have a brick and mortar experience to commensurate the amount of money some of these watches cost :cheers:

Speaking of which, I'm going to an event this Thursday sponsored by my Blancpain/AP/GO AD to have a few drinks and learn more about Arnold and Son watches. Don't know much about them and their regional rep will be showcasing their watches.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

I travel all over the world and encounter people of various layers of financial wealth. In the last year I have seen more Pam’s then ever before. Maybe I’m just noticing them more, but I think there are just more of them being sold. I was in a meeting a couple of weeks ago with a dozen Asian business guys (they were hunting for personal protection details) and almost all of them were sporting Panerai - or Apple watches ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

mechnut
Name: Roger

Post by mechnut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 pm

logan2z wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Very well said. I'm always amused when people denigrate a brand that they neither own nor appreciate and attempt to justify their stance based on anecdotal "evidence" and conjecture. While I appreciate models from virtually every company, Panerai is my favorite brand. Not a fanboy, I don't like every model, and they are definitely expanding their lineup appeal to a broader audience. Poor resale? Funny, my 690 that I purchased from the NY boutique still sells for 2K over list price. Every year, there are several NEW models that sell for over list. Not many brands can say the same.