Happen to have both right now.

ImageImage
:htfu:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Newbie question on the Planet Ocean Series

Post by matt.wu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:40 pm

8500 is slightly thicker, but not substantially.
:htfu:

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 am

Forgot about that dome. Definitely falsely elevates that height

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:57 am

Some specs from my 2500 PO (PO info at the end):

I’ve worn the 8500 42mm and its thicker but wears great on strap or bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:03 am

Awesome, Joe, thanks! 40mm bezel diameter I'm afraid is going to be too small for my taste, 42mm is about ideal for my preferences.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:01 am

Bezel diameter is 40mm, but it looks (and is) bigger than a Sub.

The new 43.5 PO’s are a nice size, try one of those. I have a friend with a 45mm titanium PO, big on my wrist but so light I would not mind wearing it.

Pjmed

Post by Pjmed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:30 am

djh1201 wrote:Awesome, Joe, thanks! 40mm bezel diameter I'm afraid is going to be too small for my taste, 42mm is about ideal for my preferences.
Here’s Joe with a 45mm Titanium PO and he’s head chopped off to protect his privacy. He has a 6.5” wrist if I’m not mistaken. With a Planet Ocean you don’t have a 42mm bezel option. Always subtract about 2 to 2.5mm from the measurement of the Planet Ocean to get an idea of the size. That means:
-42mm is really more like a 40mm
-43mm is more like 41mm
-45mm is more of a 43mm

There are many things that will affect the perception of size, case measurement is not a good thing to go by. For example, the 42mm 2500 Planet Ocean might have a 40mm bezel like a Submariner but the dial is larger and the bezel thinner. Which makes the watch look slightly larger if you see them side by side. So dial diameter will affect the the perception of size.

From what you posted, the options you have are the 43mm and the 45mm versions. The 43 is more like a shortened 45. 43mm and 45mm are basically the same height, but the 43 wears taller because of the smaller size and shorter lug to lug length. Keep in mind a 18mm thick watch will seem very thick if it is a 40mm watch, but if it’s 60mm then it’s a very thin watch. So it’s all about Its proportions and design. Honestly we’re splitting hairs here because 1mm +\- won’t be noticeable in real world conditions. Think about this, many people mention the 45mm 2500PO as a thin watch. And they are correct, the watch wears and feels thin. But the difference in thickness between the 45mm 2500PO and the 45mm 8500 is about 1mm yet they say the 8500 is too thick. How can a 1mm make such a difference? The short answer is, It doesn’t. I can take a picture of both watches side by side and you will see that the difference in thickness is difficult to notice. But when you wear them they do feel a different. What is it then? I haven’t really thought about this before. I probably a combination of things. Things like the mid case sits lower on the 2500 PO, it’s almost not noticeable but the center of gravity is closer to the wrist. Also, the contact area on the case back of the 2500 is smaller. Probably because the movement diameter is smaller. I could be wrong,

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:01 am

Pjmed wrote:
djh1201 wrote:Awesome, Joe, thanks! 40mm bezel diameter I'm afraid is going to be too small for my taste, 42mm is about ideal for my preferences.
Here’s Joe with a 45mm Titanium PO and he’s head chopped off to protect his privacy. He has a 6.5” wrist if I’m not mistaken. With a Planet Ocean you don’t have a 42mm bezel option. Always subtract about 2 to 2.5mm from the measurement of the Planet Ocean to get an idea of the size. That means:
-42mm is really more like a 40mm
-43mm is more like 41mm
-45mm is more of a 43mm

There are many things that will affect the perception of size, case measurement is not a good thing to go by. For example, the 42mm 2500 Planet Ocean might have a 40mm bezel like a Submariner but the dial is larger and the bezel thinner. Which makes the watch look slightly larger if you see them side by side. So dial diameter will affect the the perception of size.

From what you posted, the options you have are the 43mm and the 45mm versions. The 43 is more like a shortened 45. 43mm and 45mm are basically the same height, but the 43 wears taller because of the smaller size and shorter lug to lug length. Keep in mind a 18mm thick watch will seem very thick if it is a 40mm watch, but if it’s 60mm then it’s a very thin watch. So it’s all about Its proportions and design. Honestly we’re splitting hairs here because 1mm +\- won’t be noticeable in real world conditions. Think about this, many people mention the 45mm 2500PO as a thin watch. And they are correct, the watch wears and feels thin. But the difference in thickness between the 45mm 2500PO and the 45mm 8500 is about 1mm yet they say the 8500 is too thick. How can a 1mm make such a difference? The short answer is, It doesn’t. I can take a picture of both watches side by side and you will see that the difference in thickness is difficult to notice. But when you wear them they do feel a different. What is it then? I haven’t really thought about this before. I probably a combination of things. Things like the mid case sits lower on the 2500 PO, it’s almost not noticeable but the center of gravity is closer to the wrist. Also, the contact area on the case back of the 2500 is smaller. Probably because the movement diameter is smaller. I could be wrong,
Hey Pedro! Nice to finally see you post here! Make sure you post an intro thread in the general forum.

Everyone, Pedro is a good friend from Puerto Rico, who also has the weird attraction to watches that we all have.

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks for the info, I am struggling with finding the right size, not sure it exists for me in the PO. My Certina PH200M is just a bit big for my taste (42.8 bezel diameter), although it is thinner, so maybe I would like the proportions on the 45 PO better. 41mm bezel diamater is generally too small for my taste unless the bezel is pretty thin (although I'm liking the size on my new HydroConquest).

Truly a WIS discussion, can't imagine what my wife would think if I had her read through this whole thread...

Pjmed

Post by Pjmed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 pm

djh1201 wrote:Thanks for the info, I am struggling with finding the right size, not sure it exists for me in the PO. My Certina PH200M is just a bit big for my taste (42.8 bezel diameter), although it is thinner, so maybe I would like the proportions on the 45 PO better. 41mm bezel diamater is generally too small for my taste unless the bezel is pretty thin (although I'm liking the size on my new HydroConquest).

Truly a WIS discussion, can't imagine what my wife would think if I had her read through this whole thread...
You should really try them before you decide. It’s the only way to really know for sure. Having said that the 45mm PO might be hard to find since it was replaced by the 43mm several years ago. I haven’t seen one in a store in years. At least in my area. The Omega Boutique had some for a while but they are long gone years ago. Are you looking for a new one or used?