Long Wait Times for Repairs.

Discussion of Sinn watches.
namor
Name: Seth

Long Wait Times for Repairs.

Post by namor » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:57 am

Just got this in an email from Sinn Germany.

“Due to the high capacity utilisation of our workshops there are unfortunately major delays at the moment. We would therefore like to inform you about the current time frames: Warranty repairs, minor repairs and maintenance of the Hydro series take approx. 6-8 weeks, the preparation of a cost estimate approx. 10-12 weeks. For chargeable repair and maintenance orders, we would like to ask you to be prepared for a period of up to half a year. High complications and historical movements may also require a longer period of time. Should your watch be completed sooner, we will of course inform you immediately.”

I know that the watch business has historically been a slow-repair industry, but this seems really tortoise level velocity. Three months to prepare the estimate?

Am I off base in thinking this is unsatisfactory? After all, a certain micro brand here was castigated for response times like these.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Long Wait Times for Repairs.

Post by matt.wu » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:08 am

I expect this with specialized service, as the availability of appropriate skillset is the limiting factor. So with my JLC Duometre and Extreme Lab Service, I brace for things like that. JLC exceeded my expectations in my case, but I wouldn't have been alarmed if it took that long to get it back.

If it was a commoditized movement, I'd expect much quicker turnaround times.

With a Hydro, I lump it into the camp of specialized. Now, 3 months for an estimate does seem unreasonable, but the overall timing for turnaround seems within the range of what I'd expect for a watch that has to go back to Germany.
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:10 am

I get that people don’t like to work these days, but that’s just not ok.

This would push me away from buying another Sinn, but it doesn’t matter since I’ve already got their best current product.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:44 am

I don't know if this is a problem unique to Germany, but long repair times for Leica cameras and lenses has been a problem for a while, and continues to get worse - as in 5-7 months for a lens service and 10-12 months for some cameras.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/38 ... a-germany/

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:11 am

Seems par for the course. I’m having a vintage Omega Megaquartz serviced, and it’s 3+ months…
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:01 am

one more data point - service for my 1680 Red Sub took a little over 3 months and that was in the US.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:06 pm

rockmastermike wrote:one more data point - service for my 1680 Red Sub took a little over 3 months and that was in the US.
1680 Red…. ImageImageImage
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:17 pm

I have my wife’s Breguet in for service. They told me 8 months, if I'm lucky.

petethegreek
Name: Pete

Post by petethegreek » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:24 am

RGM is also at 12 month timeline for repairs.

I picked up a 756 Diapal this year and one of the smallest of screws fell out of the bracelet clasp. Also crown wasn’t threading correctly, so when I inquired with RGM regarding both issues they thought it good to service the watch chrono movement as well.

Anyway, they quoted me 12 months to service the movement and do the work.

Since there’s no running seconds it’s hard to really tell how good or bad the watch is running. It seemed fine to me and a shame to be without the watch for a year.

Since I didn’t want to be without the watch for a full year, I asked them if they would be willing to accept payment for the services up front, and then put me in line; once my time slot opened I’d send them the watch. They weren’t interested.

I bought the parts needed directly from Sinn and will try and find a local guy to do the work.

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:01 am
one more data point - service for my 1680 Red Sub took a little over 3 months and that was in the US.
Serviced by whom? One of the reasons I sold (stupidly) my red 1680 from 1974 was that RSC told me they wouldn’t service it as they wouldn’t be able to replace the dial if anything happened to it.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:07 pm

abuemily wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 am
rockmastermike wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:01 am
Serviced by whom? One of the reasons I sold (stupidly) my red 1680 from 1974 was that RSC told me they wouldn’t service it as they wouldn’t be able to replace the dial if anything happened to it.
RolieWorks in Miami.....they had done work for me earlier when they were in CA and I was happy then and happy with the most recent service as well