End of BAPE Conversions

Discussion of Sinn watches.
namor
Name: Seth

End of BAPE Conversions

Post by namor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:08 am

I am personally responsible for converting 4%** of the world's supply of EZM1 BAPE watches into decent, respectable Sinn watches. In order to do this, one needs to source a dial, a bezel insert, a copper sulfate capsule, the gear that turns the date wheel, and a good beadblast of the case. Aside from doing it as a matter of civic duty, it has generally been the case that a BAPE could be purchased for around 70% of the regular EZM1 price, making it a good value proposition. Or so I thought.

Almost 7 months ago, I stumbled across a BAPE EZM1, and bought it for just under $3400. With normal EZM1s selling in the $4500-5000 range, it seemed like a good idea. As so often in the past, "seemed like a good idea at the time" decided to join forces with Murphy's Law; while I have no physical scars to show this time, the pyschic ones run deep...

A reminder of what it started out as -
bape2.jpg
As far as I tell, you can no longer source a EZM1 dial for love or money no matter where you try. And try I did. Even tried having a 'custom' dial made. I finally had to throw in the towel, and settled on using a EZM3 dial - different feet position of course, but usable just the same and it is similar (but not the same) to the original. An OEM capsule and bezel insert were not too hard to find, thankfully. Then came a bigger problem - getting someone to rework the Lemania 5100 movement to add the date function turned out to be nightmarish. (As an aside, it is interesting to note that Sinn left the date wheel on the windowless BAPE dialed watch, but left it disabled). The guy I used previously would only do it within a full overhaul of the chrono movement at an exorbitant cost. Two other repair guys I reached out to also quoted very high prices, and wouldn't commit to sourcing the needed gear. Getting the watch beadblasted was easy, and the result for the case was perfect (I opted to leave the bezel itself green just as a personal preference. I can take it off easily on my own if it bothers me in the future). I've condensed the foregoing considerably, and the process was only finished a few weeks ago.

So there you have it - a 'conversion' of sorts is still possible, but only with resources greater than mine. Its less than perfect in my view, but still a watch I thoroughly enjoy wearing. As with all of the EZM1s I've ever had, it keeps superb time and the center chrono functions precisely well.

And since I can't find a EZM1 for sale anywhere (OK - one for sale on Chrono24 at a ridiculous $9400), it will be the placekeeper in my watchbox until such time as another candidate surfaces***. However, this is the end of the road for me regarding BAPE conversions - just too onerous for the limited results. My sincere apologies to the sensitivities that will be challenged by the 96 remaining Nigo inspired spectres still haunting the world.
a1c.jpg
a1b.jpg
a1a.jpg
** 4 out of the 100 made.
*** If you have one for sale PLEASE reach out to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by namor on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: End of BAPE Conversions

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 am

Sorry to hear of the roadblocks Seth, but it’s better to avoid BAPE altogether and avoid Mad Cow disease.

An EZM3F dial would be a closer match….?

I wish Sinn made a no-date in that size case.

namor

Post by namor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:40 am

You're correct Hoppy - but I couldn't get a 3F dial either.

I wish the EZM1.1 had been either steel in 40mm, or titanium in its 43mm size...
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 am

namor wrote:You're correct Hoppy - but I couldn't get a 3F dial either.

I wish the EZM1.1 had been either steel in 40mm, or titanium in its 43mm size...
100% agree

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:22 pm

I think I sold my last EZM1 for $3300 and I felt wrong getting that much for it. Times are strange in watch collecting.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 am

Wow, I didn’t know a BAPE ezm1 was fetching $3400.
I sold my 3H to Peter for less than that.

I would say you did your good deed. Fudging with a BAPE conversion proved to be expensive and difficult when the parts were available.

Please tell me you destroyed the dials!

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Thank you for performing this civic duty as long as you could - bape wtf??
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Nice work. I wish I hadn’t sold my EZM 1.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:29 pm

i thought the end was years ago! thanks for doing your civic duty to make them right. lol

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:20 am

you're the Bapeman, Seth! :clap:

though I'm fairly certain normal ones have pushed well past the $5k barrier... try finding a nice one on bracelet for 5k, they don't exist
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:24 am

Great conversion all things considered.

And don’t want to make anyone mad here, but I owned an EZM1. Felt like a $1500 watch to me. One of my most disappointing watches ever considering my expectations. I think I sold it to Seth, actually.

namor

Post by namor » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:02 pm

gr8sw wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:20 am

though I'm fairly certain normal ones have pushed well past the $5k barrier... try finding a nice one on bracelet for 5k, they don't exist
This is all too sad but true.

I'm not sure why/when it happens, but certain watches can sell in defined range for a long time, then suddenly spike up and never return to the lower level. The IWC 3538 Aquatimer is an example of this, where they sold for $2000-2200 for several years, then in the past year jumped up to ~$2800-3200.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:39 pm

namor wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:02 pm
gr8sw wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:20 am

This is all too sad but true.

I'm not sure why/when it happens, but certain watches can sell in defined range for a long time, then suddenly spike up and never return to the lower level. The IWC 3538 Aquatimer is an example of this, where they sold for $2000-2200 for several years, then in the past year jumped up to ~$2800-3200.
why does a 5513/14060 that sold for ~$3k in 2005 bring over $10k now? it's not like they are rare, like a 1/3500 EZM1... people want and buy the story
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:00 am

Some times we get in over our heads with repair projects but most of the time they pay off. I got two that are giving me headaches right now. Yours did not turn out bad better than that camo mess. I like how it turned out I would wear that.