DIY Battery Change on Oil Filled? Updated to show the NEW 2!

Discussion of Sinn watches.
marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Re: DIY Battery Change on Oil Filled?

Post by marchone » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:51 am

carlodwc wrote:No idea of what they use but I have seen a few posts of people using a product from 3M called Flourinert. Here is a post of someone putting this into a CW watch, with some description and devices he used:

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... php?t=4960

It seems too messy for me but surely cool and interesting. Check it out Seth, maybe this can help?
To my unscientific mind I wonder why Sinn couldn't isolate a battery chamber from the oil filled case holding the movement to facilitate battery changes. In theory like GS did with their 9F in the SBGX115/117.

Of course there's an enormous difference in WR between the two and that may be the design challenge.
only accurate watches are interesting

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 am

Carlo - thanks so much for that link. It was easy to find that guy's patent, and it was as I thought - he puts a small piece of closed cell foam (sponge) in the case, and it compresses and expands as the temperature changes.

The bad news is that Fluorinert 770 costs a lot; the smallest sample I can find is 250cc, and that's at $180 plus shipping.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:35 am

I wonder how much expansion/compression would occur in a watch used only in normal situations. Not for diving or extreme temp changes. Does it become a non factor? :shrug:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:05 am

If you are going to keep it, why not just send it to Jack to have the oil removed and battery changed?

namor

Post by namor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:25 am

hobbit712 wrote:I wonder how much expansion/compression would occur in a watch used only in normal situations. Not for diving or extreme temp changes. Does it become a non factor? :shrug:
The engineers say it will change by 5% over the likely 100 degrees F it would be exposed to. But that is misleading in a way. If its filled at 70 degrees, then it will only expand for roughly 30 degrees on the upside, or contract somewhat more on the downside. Its the expansion that matters: remember why all those divers have HEVs on them. The pressure associated with a fluid expanding is significantly more problematic than that of a low density gas like helium. My thumbnail calculation is the watch probably takes 3-4 cc of oil, so it must realistically be able to contain 3.15-4.2 ccs without popping the crystal. Not a lot of difference, but that foam ought to make it a breeze.
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:19 pm

namor wrote:Carlo - thanks so much for that link. It was easy to find that guy's patent, and it was as I thought - he puts a small piece of closed cell foam (sponge) in the case, and it compresses and expands as the temperature changes.

The bad news is that Fluorinert 770 costs a lot; the smallest sample I can find is 250cc, and that's at $180 plus shipping.
You are welcome Seth. I had no idea of the price of the liquid... but I have seen someone over at the Wallet Friendly Watch forum that has done several watches with Fluorinet, maybe a different type. In this post he says he has a gallon of it and shows his latest project:

http://walletfriendlywatchforum.com/rea ... 157,567182

His ID is Solex and he is a good guy. I don't know if he would be willing to talk to you about this to give suggestions etc. maybe or even do the filling himself. But maybe you can ask him.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:44 pm

^^^That's an interesting idea. He's obviously one squared away dude when it comes to dinking around with watches, and he's already spent the dough for all the supplies.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 am

i would put a port on the case and use some astro-glide in it

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:04 am

toxicavenger wrote:i would put a port on the case and use some astro-glide in it
Perfect. Shorty has his fancy ass Sinn LE on the way; I'm putting in my vote for the Ter-Bear Sinn UXXX with astroglide-filled case as the nexxxt LE. Comes with a ToxicA pube under the crystal (appears to float on the outside) and complete kit: box, papers and black rubber strap on.
:salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 am

Sidheguitarist wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:i would put a port on the case and use some astro-glide in it
Perfect. Shorty has his fancy ass Sinn LE on the way; I'm putting in my vote for the Ter-Bear Sinn UXXX with astroglide-filled case as the nexxxt LE. Comes with a ToxicA pube under the crystal (appears to float on the outside) and complete kit: box, papers and black rubber strap on.
:salute:
that shit would rock, and the catch would be I can service it for you personally and you don't have to sent to schnitzeland to get it fixed. :jerk: :vlick:

jjlwis2

Post by jjlwis2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:02 pm

This seriously better be a joke....

namor

Post by namor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:50 am

OK - Good news/bad news on this project.

The good news is its really fucking easy to do. As far as I can tell, the key is to disassemble before beginning:
s34.jpeg
Once you do this, and clean everything up, you're all set.
Use a small clear glass dish for this.
Replace battery, making sure the little plastic liner is placed to expose the negative lead in the back.
Fill the empty case completely with fluid, ensuring no bubbles are in it, and submerge it.
Place movement into fluid, let bubbles float to top, then place in case, still submerged.
Put a little sliver of closed cell foam in case back, after soaking it thoroughly in fluid.
Replace crown, and look to be sure second hand is ticking.
Finger tighten case back carefully while submerged, making sure it stays below fluid level.
Tighten caseback, wash off excess fluid, put on wrist.

So that was the good part. There is not a hint of air bubble in it, either:
s35.jpeg

The bad is that the original fill was silicone and it degraded the handset and dial lume beyond what I can live with (essentially no glow at all). So I'm shipping it to Germany anyway, using a German friend to reduce the shipping costs a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

Congrats Seth. But why don't you just get IWW to relume the whole thing?

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:03 am

Good work. My hands/markers don't have much lume left either. I like the creamy patina, so I'm going to go with the battery change and keep the dial and hands as is.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Bravo!

Bummer about the silicone degrading the lume. Was that the factory spec?

andrema

Post by andrema » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:59 pm

So it is the eBay watch...

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:00 pm

andrema wrote:So it is the eBay watch...
Looks to be

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:35 pm

namor wrote:OK - Good news/bad news on this project.

The good news is its really fucking easy to do. As far as I can tell, the key is to disassemble before beginning:
s34.jpeg
Once you do this, and clean everything up, you're all set.
Use a small clear glass dish for this.
Replace battery, making sure the little plastic liner is placed to expose the negative lead in the back.
Fill the empty case completely with fluid, ensuring no bubbles are in it, and submerge it.
Place movement into fluid, let bubbles float to top, then place in case, still submerged.
Put a little sliver of closed cell foam in case back, after soaking it thoroughly in fluid.
Replace crown, and look to be sure second hand is ticking.
Finger tighten case back carefully while submerged, making sure it stays below fluid level.
Tighten caseback, wash off excess fluid, put on wrist.

So that was the good part. There is not a hint of air bubble in it, either:
s35.jpeg

The bad is that the original fill was silicone and it degraded the handset and dial lume beyond what I can live with (essentially no glow at all). So I'm shipping it to Germany anyway, using a German friend to reduce the shipping costs a bit.

Hey Seth, awesome! :thumbsup:

I believe that the 3H on the dial indicate that the lume is Tritium, hence the lack of luminescence, probably. I bet the watch is more then 10 years old and therefore the Tritium paint has easily lost the lume, and it does not charge with a flashlight like Luminova...

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Aha.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Excellent project documentation.

Too bad about the lume.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:42 pm

I like the astroglide suggestion. Then if you need some just unwind the crown and shake some on your partners b-hole.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:03 pm

BBK357 wrote:I like the astroglide suggestion. Then if you need some just unwind the crown and shake some on your partners b-hole.
You should patent that. You'll make a fortune.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Slogans anyone?

andrema

Post by andrema » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:52 am

CGSshorty wrote:
BBK357 wrote:I like the astroglide suggestion. Then if you need some just unwind the crown and shake some on your partners b-hole.
You should patent that. You'll make a fortune.
"EZM2 - the ultimate Sin"

namor

Post by namor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:51 am

Follow-up on this project: I shipped the watch to Sinn on Oct 27th. USPS tracking showed it at JFK customs on the 28th, then nothing. I filed a lost package insurance claim online on November 30th. USPS disavowed any responsibility (of course). I considered it a total loss at that point.

Today, Sinn emailed me that the watch just arrived and they'll send me an estimate on the work! A belated holiday present!