Rick Marei has officially left Doxa

Discussion of Doxa watches.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Rick Marei has officially left Doxa

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 am

The book guy for Doxa just posted this on WUS:
Just wanted to note here that today was the last day for Rick and his involvement with Doxa. Really sad for me in many ways. It was through the watches that I found a real friend and through him that was was able to write 3 books and meet a whole bunch of really great people through the forum and Searaiders. It also marks the end of my involvement with Doxa. Yes I will continue to own and buy and enjoy the vintage watches and those from the Marei era, but I'd rather eat my underpants than have anything to do with the new ones or the people who are now running the business.
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/ladie ... 04379.html

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Re: Rick Marei has officially left Doxa

Post by andrema » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 am

Whoa...I want to see his underwear now

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 am

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the new guys.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 am

aikiman44 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 am
The book guy said this also, which is not glowing at all:
Well here's my take on it. The new guy in charge and the owners are "watch people", they are "money men" not enthusiasts or passionate about Doxa the way Rick was. If I was the owners I would have already sacked the new guy. He has been involved in the "transition" (I use that word lightly because any other one I would want to use would be censored) for months, he knew what was going to happen and the ramifications. At the bare minimum he should have had a new webpage up and running from 1st August with announcement of a new release. Maybe the T-Graph that many here have said they would buy. Some marketing BS about the new team and wonderful future etc etc. But what do we get? Not a sausage. My other take on it is that their focus is not primarily the US market, probably not even Europe. Asia is where the watch money is made. Is it the place where the SUB would be successful? Hmmmmm, not so sure. I'm not sure how many books Clive Cussler sells in China or how much the Chinese know about Cousteau or the underwater world. Of course it depends on how you market it. Maybe the SUB will be the new trendy fashion watch for the discerning Shanghai barfly. Who knows.

In reality this forum and those who frequent it amount to a small subset of SUB buyers. Actually the forum isn't an official Doxa forum. It has no ties to Doxa at all and is just for us owners and fan boys. Maybe the new guy reads it but then maybe he doesn't even know it exists. Based on the transition performance, I don't think he is the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Also where else is there for the Doxa SUB to go? It is iconic because of the case, the bezel, the dial and the bracelet. I've said this to Rick before but I honestly think he took the brand and design to its limits. You can only add so many dial colours before people start point fingers at you. The Dirk Pitt watch is an orange dial SUB. The iconic Doxa dive watch is an orange dial SUB. Stan Waterman wore an orange 300T. Jacques Cousteu wore a Black Sharkhunter. Throw in a Gene Cernan 2 register T-Graph and you are covered. The Marei era brought out some interesting variations. For me some worked, some didn't. But that's the same with the vintage ones too. I was never a fan of the angular Aubry period SUBs. If I were the new guy and I had to release one watch. I know what it would be.......................... Lets see if he can redeem himself in my eyes

Captain Bo has said:
There is no new owner, the Jenny family is taking over the 'Sub Division' from Mr. Marei and his Team.

I wish them all the best of luck and look forward to the next chapter of the Doxa story.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:00 am

I personally do know what this means for current future owners of Doxa. The have never had great service imo. The way things are unfolding it seems like the whole US Team was basically a Doxa help desk trying to get shit done by the mothership. Maybe that is why they always sounded clueless? :shrug: I do not know.

I wish Rick the best on his next adventure though.

Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:16 am

I had a feeling this was coming. Rick wasnt on the Doxa stand much at baselworld. He spent a lot of time in other parts of the show with other watch brands.

I wish him all the best in the future too. He was a big help to me starting out.

Regards Graeme

Image Image

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am

Seppia wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am
Also, aren't the Doxa owners the same owners of Isofrane, Aquadive and the new Tropic strap?
I am pretty positive that is true. I guess in reality though Rick might have been renting the name Doxa and making a US version of divers? :shrug: I thought years ago he came here to the forum and said that he bought the name in the late 90's. :scratch: I have always said they had way to much smoke and mirrors for me.

Not to long ago I mentioned on a FB group that those brands all fell under the same umbrella and it was deleted. Then I was told via pm that it was "none of my business". The only reason why I brought it up is because the fb group was promoting them like they were individual sponsors of a give away.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 am

Graeme wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:16 am
I had a feeling this was coming. Rick wasnt on the Doxa stand much at baselworld. He spent a lot of time in other parts of the show with other watch brands.
That sucks. I bet it was like a punch to the gut. :crybaby:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 am

It’s too bad. I’ve been putting off buying another one for way too long and now I guess I’m SOL.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 am

Chocodove wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 am
It’s too bad. I’ve been putting off buying another one for way too long and now I guess I’m SOL.
Actually you might be better off. :mrgreen:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 am
I was never a fan of the angular Aubry period SUBs.
Sacrilege

Edit - the way I quoted this makes it look like Terry doesn’t like those Aubrey Subs - when in fact it was the Book Guy.

Still Sacrilege however

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 am

From what I heard Sherpa’s have sabotaged this operation also.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am

We all know who’s fault it really is.

- Todd

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 am
aikiman44 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 am
The book guy said this also, which is not glowing at all:
Well here's my take on it. The new guy in charge and the owners are "watch people", they are "money men" not enthusiasts or passionate about Doxa the way Rick was.
I guess we've seen the first money grab. $4,900 for the new chronograph.

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:34 pm

We don’t know the facts. Could be a disgruntled employee. Could be anything.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:34 pm
What facts? Rick has left Doxa USA, and I believe everyone who worked on that Team is no longer a part of Doxa. Jenny (who ever it is) took Doxa over and it taking it a different direction.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Update
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm

more info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 pm
Axelay2003 wrote:
What facts? Rick has left Doxa USA, and I believe everyone who worked on that Team is no longer a part of Doxa. Jenny (who ever it is) took Doxa over and it taking it a different direction.
What I meant was this:

“The book guy said this also, which is not glowing at all:
Well here's my take on it. The new guy in charge and the owners are "watch people", they are "money men" not enthusiasts or passionate about Doxa the way Rick was. If I was the owners I would have already sacked the new guy. “

That’s his point of view.

You are always going to have pushback when making significant changes to a business model that has been unchanged for a long time. I’ve done it myself and had to make important decisions to stay viable in my business. The “old ways” just wasn’t cutting it. I had a new vision and mission for my company and if you didn’t believe in them, then that is okay. There are other offices/businesses that may cater to you. Nothing wrong with that.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:37 am

Axelay2003 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 pm
Axelay2003 wrote:
What I meant was this:

“The book guy said this also, which is not glowing at all:
Well here's my take on it. The new guy in charge and the owners are "watch people", they are "money men" not enthusiasts or passionate about Doxa the way Rick was. If I was the owners I would have already sacked the new guy. “

That’s his point of view.

You are always going to have pushback when making significant changes to a business model that has been unchanged for a long time. I’ve done it myself and had to make important decisions to stay viable in my business. The “old ways” just wasn’t cutting it. I had a new vision and mission for my company and if you didn’t believe in them, then that is okay. There are other offices/businesses that may cater to you. Nothing wrong with that.
Oh okay I totally agree with that. It seems like he pissed also because the new Doxa company owners took down the site selling then books and have also been unresponsive to shipping them. And that is in the middle of them being sold. I think that would not sit well with anyone.

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 am

The website is back up and looks better than the old one. All new doxa 300 coming in November, in all colors, at the same price as before $1,890.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 am

pbj204 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 am
The website is back up and looks better than the old one. All new doxa 300 coming in November, in all colors, at the same price as before $1,890.
Well that sounds actually pretty nice.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:24 am

Yep. I see a 300 in my future.
- Todd

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm

I feel like I'm missing something glaring, but I can't seem to see the difference between the 300 and 1200(?)
Send lawyers, guns and money...

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:33 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm
I feel like I'm missing something glaring, but I can't seem to see the difference between the 300 and 1200(?)
One has a fish logo on the crown, one doesn't. But yeah, that's it.