Discussion of Rolex Watches.
TSD
Name: Tom

Re: 126600

Post by TSD » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:30 am

Appreciate it, guys. In the Rolex lineup, Sea-Dwellers are my favorites, no question. This reference is damn near perfect for me. I’d just hoped the mod could be painless.

With Rolex increasingly freezing it’s parts accounts, I don’t see how to pull this off now.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:47 am

If you really wanted to pull the cyclops off couldn't you mail to a shop have them remove it and then they may have to send the crystal to a lapidary to polish it to clean it up? This is a question not a well researched suggestion. One of my divers has a highly unique stepped crystal but also has some scratches (granted it is mineral), but my watch guy suggested mailing it out to a lapidary and having them polish the original. I don't know if this can be done with sapphire and I didnt talk cost because it sounded like it was also going to take a while and the scratches don't bother me that much it is a mil issued watch (so seems to add to the character).
I was just offering a suggestion to research more if you were desperate to make this happen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TSD

Post by TSD » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 am

ncstate1201 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:47 am
If you really wanted to pull the cyclops off couldn't you mail to a shop have them remove it and then they may have to send the crystal to a lapidary to polish it to clean it up? This is a question not a well researched suggestion.
Geoff, I’m sure anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. But when I asked about polishing it off, my watchmaker said no. And the biggest issue now is Rolex continues to freeze the independent’s access to parts. Meaning that if the sapphire is damaged, the only way to get it replaced is probably a full service @ RSC.

I still haven’t seen anyone post a success story in removing the cyclops on this new crystal. That’s what made me explore an inexpensive aftermarket crystal. Now that’s on hold, too, unless we can source OEM crystal gaskets.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am

Weird. So they didn't use uv glue on the cyclops now? I use to scrap it off with a razor blade. I do know on the newer watches they have ar coating under the crystal. Maybe that is what the issue is?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:25 am

toxicavenger wrote:Weird. So they didn't use uv glue on the cyclops now? I use to scrap it off with a razor blade. I do know on the newer watches they have ar coating under the crystal. Maybe that is what the issue is?
Yea, I have heard of this AR coating issue too, but it doesn’t make sense to me. I can’t see any AR coating on any recent Rolex.

If they are putting AR under the cyclops to reduce the glare from the cyclops, I would think it would be on the top side of crystal, no? If so why couldn’t it be polished off, much like removing the AR from a Sinn U1)

It would seem both more difficult and impractical to place a small patch of AR under the crystal.

It all seems odd.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:30 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:25 am
toxicavenger wrote:Weird. So they didn't use uv glue on the cyclops now? I use to scrap it off with a razor blade. I do know on the newer watches they have ar coating under the crystal. Maybe that is what the issue is?
Yea, I have heard of this AR coating issue too, but it doesn’t make sense to me. I can’t see any AR coating on any recent Rolex.

If they are putting AR under the cyclops to reduce the glare from the cyclops, I would think it would be on the top side of crystal, no? If so why couldn’t it be polished off, much like removing the AR from a Sinn U1)

It would seem both more difficult and impractical to place a small patch of AR under the crystal.

It all seems odd.
A Rolex tech told me it is under the crystal. Which absolutely makes no sense. But he sent me pics showing that.

I never thought Rolex did practical stuff before. :roll: Heck the U1 has a glued in crystal, so I guess that isn't exactly practical either. :mrgreen:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 am

Here's a link to some technical specs from 2017 (assuming they're authentic). It appears Rolex puts AR coating under the cyclops both above and below the crystal.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.ph ... stcount=39

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:20 am

Easy fix, buy a 116600

TSD

Post by TSD » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am
Weird. So they didn't use uv glue on the cyclops now? I use to scrap it off with a razor blade. I do know on the newer watches they have ar coating under the crystal. Maybe that is what the issue is?
I don't think it's glued in the old way. Acetone and heat wouldn't lift it at all. Something changed with the new adhesion technique on this cyclops, unrelated to the AR. My watchmaker handled an SD43 crystal where someone tried to remove the cyclops, and it doesn't come off clean. It was basically destroyed, but he thinks the surface of the sapphire underneath the cyclops may be distressed or recessed to create that improved adhesion Rolex was claiming allowed it add the cyclops.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 pm

TSD wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am
the surface of the sapphire underneath the cyclops may be distressed or recessed to create that improved adhesion Rolex was claiming allowed it add the cyclops.
weird, and dumb :mrgreen: