I love collections like this...

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 pm

As much as I try to convince myself that there need not be rhyme or reason to a collection, I am always compelled to have some sort of direction for my watches.

I had toyed once, and still do occasionally, with the idea of having a collection based off the Explorer II, comprised of the 1655, 16550 cream dial, 16570 black, and 216570 in white...

Well, this guy's beat me to it, and not only that, but he's done it with the Sub, GMT, AND Sea-Dweller line-ups too. I would LOVE to be able to slowly work toward this. Maybe I'm refocused......... :excited: :think: :think:

From this post: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_5990701

From left to right, top to bottom:
1655, 16550 cream, 16570 black, 216570 white
1680 red, 16800 matte, 16610 LV, 116610 LV
1675, 16750, 16760 fat lady (i think, could also just be a 16710 - bracelet looks like it might be SEL), 116710

And of course (in progression from oldest to youngest, which is right to left in this pic), the 1665 double red, 16660, 16600, and 116600
:htfu:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: I love collections like this...

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 pm

focus is good, Matt and I like this person's set up, too. Something like this can narrow the scope of the hobby. Trying everything can be fun and flipping can be fun, but this is a different sort of fun. I have two so far and maybe these will be the start of something more, who knows.

Like a hunting for the last few chase cards for a beseball set of getting the last crossover from a comic series, ahh those were the days

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:17 pm

rockmastermike wrote:Like a hunting for the last few chase cards for a beseball set of getting the last crossover from a comic series, ahh those were the days
Yeah, Mike. This is it. People always allude to the fact that part of the fun in the watch hobby is "the thrill of the chase". However, the chase is not thrilling if you don't narrow it down at all. There are far too many watches out there to strive to collect it all, and to strive to collect "the best" is too broad - it would only lead to frustration and ultimately futility (because there will always be a better collection).

But if you establish parameters that are clear and defined, so that your goal is something specific (and not just to be better than "that guy"), I think the thrill of the chase is enhanced and attainment of the goal (even if they are intermediate goals) is more fulfilling.

Cool. :fro:

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm

great collection... while the Rolex is very versatile, it may seem for some that they are all alike. All divers (or diver like) with the same movement heritage (well their gmt complication is kick ass).

OTOH, it's awesome to see the evolution of their watch lines.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 pm

ikkoku wrote:great collection... while the Rolex is very versatile, it may seem for some that they are all alike. All divers (or diver like) with the same movement heritage (well their gmt complication is kick ass).

Well, versatility is another way one could "focus" a collection. That's what I was going for with my current three.

Personally, I'd never be able to do all 4 lines like this (Explorer II, Sub, GMT, Sea-Dweller). But Explorer II and Sea-Dweller? Maybe. Rolex's true tool watches (never made in gold) along with the Explorer (I) line.

I should make my next watch a Great White 1665. Double-Red is out of my league. Gotta start with the old ones - they will only get harder and harder to find.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 pm

ikkoku wrote:great collection... while the Rolex is very versatile, it may seem for some that they are all alike. All divers (or diver like) with the same movement heritage (well their gmt complication is kick ass).

true on both counts, but another way to put #1 is everything by Sade pretty much sounds the same, but it all sounds gooooooooood. :love:

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:30 pm

matt.wu wrote: I should make my next watch a Great White 1665.
THAT is where it's at. Forget all of the other watches... seriously.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Then I'll buy an old GMT... and I'll have a patterned collection: 1655, 1665, 1675. :geek:

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Boring. Might as well just open a dealership.

This reminds me of my friends who only want to eat at the same restaurants or only eat one kind of food. White.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Cool watches, but that seems a boring to me. But if that kind of direction lights your fire, then go for it. :cheers:

It's all about what makes us happy with our stuff.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:41 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:Boring. Might as well just open a dealership.

This reminds me of my friends who only want to eat at the same restaurants or only eat one kind of food. White.
Some people know what they like. Others have no idea.

Can't fault someone for coming back to what he/she knows he/she likes after having tried out a bunch of stuff. It's very different from only trying one thing and never leaving it...

:shrug:

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:44 pm

matt.wu wrote:

Can't fault someone for coming back to what he/she knows he/she likes after having tried out a bunch of stuff. It's very different from only trying one thing and never leaving it...

we talking about women or watches?? :p

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:46 pm

ikkoku wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

we talking about women or watches?? :p
Well, I was talking to Jae, so obviously.... watches.

:shifty:

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:47 pm

matt.wu wrote:

Well, versatility is another way one could "focus" a collection. That's what I was going for with my current three.

Personally, I'd never be able to do all 4 lines like this (Explorer II, Sub, GMT, Sea-Dweller). But Explorer II and Sea-Dweller? Maybe. Rolex's true tool watches (never made in gold) along with the Explorer (I) line.

I should make my next watch a Great White 1665. Double-Red is out of my league. Gotta start with the old ones - they will only get harder and harder to find.
or get one or two "representatives" from each line

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 pm

I think Rolex is the perfect candidate for a "type" collection. So many ways to go about it, plus to me the most addicting other than G-Shock (watch Heroin).

I have a Stianless 1500 on oyster, two-tone 1500 on oyster, and ther is an all gold 1503 on oyster, im trying to complete the set. (sadly only about 1/3 way to the price)

I know not everyone like the 34mm size, or any gold, but im really digging them.

Go for it Matt! Ill be right behind you with a white Exp 2 someday

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 pm

I like a focused collection, and appreciate this one. I'm not a collector however, nor do I have the means to have a large collection. I just like having a few nice pieces, and I definitely wear all of them. I think very few of us are serious collectors.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm

What's makes the spider web a "spider web"?
And the one to the right of it ?
Pasquale

NSC

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm

I like the green one and the white one
WTF

Jem
Name: Jem

Post by Jem » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Agreed...

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

That's a very focused collection...It is cool to see the evolution....
A bit boring for me personally, but to each is own....

I think I am more into collecting different types w/different functions....
Then again, there is so much to choose from....
Last edited by jimyritz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Most of all I like that watch box (where'd he get it???).

I appreciate a very focused collection like that. I don't think I'll ever want a collection that specific, but I think I'll end up "collecting" chronographs from the 60's and 70's, and then have a lot of other random stuff because there's just too much out there that I like.
-David

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 pm

really boring...........

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 pm

toxicavenger wrote:really boring...........
Well that settles it. If its something Terry dislikes, it must be destiny for me to like it, because we usually have completely opposite taste.

:lol:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Matt

Thanks for the thread.. Those are awesome pictures.

For me, I couldn't have that collection. As soon as I get two watches that are remotely similar, I start thinking about which one to flip... :lol:

For example, I don't think I could own a GMT and a sub. Or even an SD and a sub..

I know. Sad, but I kind of agree with the 'boring' statement. It's not really boring so much as the watches, for the most part, are just too similar. LOTS of money tied up there as well.. I'm thinking of all the hot watches I could get, like IWC, JLC, dozens of Invicta, etc.

I'm not a WIS, though, so what do I know? :geek:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm

As a collecting strategy, its certainly not breaking any new ground. But there is no denying any one of those pieces are desirable (some REALLY desirable). It is cool a guy is able to do this...a niche respected and familiar to most, and yet unobtainable for many at the same time.