Omega Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8 Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
TimelessLuxWatches
Name: Brett

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:15 am

The Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8 was certainly the most exciting watch to come out of Omega in 2018 and one of the most exciting to come out of Baselworld period. It’s a fascinating combination of a crucial piece of Speedmaster history, the cal. 1861, with the cutting edge material science of a DSotM. More than that, its styling was so unlike anything I’d ever seen before that I half suspected it was more inspired by Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon than by Apollo 8.

This new watch was designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 8 mission, the first time a crewed spacecraft had ever orbited the moon, which makes it especially fitting for a DSotM piece. But before we get to its many lunar accents, we should first note that the watch takes a bit after the ’68 Speedmaster Racing, notably funkier than the utilitarian design typically associated with Speedmasters. The use of brightly colored accents, for instance, likely come from this inspiration, as well as the unusual seconds markers, which were divided into long and short segments to show fractions of a second.

Upon closer examination, the details of the dial start to be revealed, namely that it’s a semi-skeleton and it has an extremely unique textured surface to most of it. The contrast between the smooth, utilitarian metal of the movement with the rough lunar surface is quite fascinating to behold in person. The texture seen on the face of the watch is inspired by the bright side of the moon while the texture on the back of the watch is inspired by the dark side of the moon.

In reality, what we’re referring to is the near or far sides of the moon, as there is, at least in a literal sense, no bright or dark side of the moon. Both sides of the moon experience day and night, about two weeks each of it, but from the perspective of someone on earth, we face the same side of the moon the entire time because the earth and moon are tidally locked. While the other side of the moon is not literally dark, or at least, isn’t for 50% of the time, it is figuratively dark insofar as it is mysterious.

You might, therefore, be thinking that having two different sides of the moon depicted on each side of this watch is academic, since it would make no real difference. But interestingly, that’s not the case at all, as the near and far sides of the moon are quite different from one another. On the near side, the one that people reading this review can see, we see many more dark, smooth areas of the moon, known as lunar maria, Latin for seas. The far side, AKA the dark side, however, is covered much less by these dark areas and far more by visible craters. Hence, you can find relatively flat areas on the face of this watch, like the one visible on the top left of this image, while the back of this watch is almost entirely made of rough surfaces. This is a lovely little touch by Omega. You can look at a photo comparison of the near and far sides of the moon here at NASA.

Presumably whilst still under the influence of Pink Floyd’s 1973 album, someone at Omega decided that having a realistically depicted surface of the moon on the watch just wasn’t crazy enough. No, they were going to cut into their newly-designed dial and make it a semi-skeleton. As semi-skeletons go, however, this is fairly mild, revealing only a small part of the movement, but the contrast between these smooth, shiny, metallic pieces and the harsh, rough surfaces of the dial adds a great deal of visual intrigue to the piece.

Interestingly, you can see the chronograph actuate when you hit the pushers, although the effect is subtle. You’ll also note that, unlike other DSotMs, Omega has skipped the date complication, a decision I entirely approve of here, even if it is just a byproduct of using a different movement.

Hands often reveal a lot about a watch, and that’s certainly true of this Speedmaster. The time is indicated by these polished hour and minute hands, while the seconds hand in the lower left subdial is white. It’s worth noting here that the watch doesn’t hack, a reminder of its old school movement. Given the enormous complexity of the dial, legibility of the hour and minute hands takes a hit, as they are not only slender, but their reflective nature can counterintuitively make them look darker than they are. They are rescued by their luminous stripes, which are far more easily seen against the dark dial than the polished surfaces.

This is not the product of sloppy design. Rather, the designer of the watch intentionally chose to de-emphasize these hands so as not to distract from the chronograph. Thus, while the minute and hour hands may be challenging to read at times, this is not the case for any of the hands corresponding to the chronograph, all of which are bright yellow. It’s usually a mark of thoughtful design when a watch color-codes its various functions, as is the case here.

As is generally the case with DSotMs, it does not disappoint in low light. A fully-illuminated tachymeter is not particularly useful in my experience, but it definitely looks great. The chronograph seconds is still visible, although you’ll have to stick to timing events shorter than a minute. In practical terms, this is enough lume to be useful and reasonably easy to read at night. It won’t compete with something like the Planet Ocean, but you’ll be able to see it in the movie theater or walking to your car after dark.

This unorthodox approach to lume continues to the signed crown, which glows quite nicely at night.

That crown does not screw down, which only makes sense on a hand wound watch. Pleasingly, the pushers and crown remain ceramic, perfectly matching the rest of the watch. In terms of pusher feel, the movement requires quite a bit of force to start the chronograph, although otherwise the feel is very positive.

The case is where an otherwise ordinary Speedmaster becomes a Dark Side of the Moon model, namely, that metal has been replaced by ceramic, and usually of the black variety. Ceramic is a highly desirable material to make cases from because it’s incredibly hard and scratch resistant.

That’s not the only advantage of ceramic, however. Unlike steel, which must receive a special coating to produce a black watch, ceramic can simply be made to be black. That is to say if you broke off a piece of this material, it would be black all the way through. The advantage of this is that, unlike in steel watches where the black material can (and inevitably will) be scratched off, a ceramic case will remain its intended color forever.

Size wise, the Apollo 8 remains quite large at 44.25mm, in line with other DSotMs. It’d be nice if it were offered in the original 1968 size of 42mm, though, as it’d be substantially more versatile. But then, I don’t suppose you wear a Dark Side of the Moon, particularly this Apollo 8, to fly under the radar.

That doesn’t mean that the case has no improvements. The ordinary Dark Side of the Moon, like most contemporary Omega chronographs, is quite thick at about 16.5mm. This new model is no ultra-thin, but it comes in at a far more wearable 13.8mm, very acceptable for a chronograph. The question is, then, how did Omega manage to remove nearly 3mm from the case?

The answer is surprisingly simple: by using a hand wound movement. But this isn’t just any movement, this is the new 1869, an updated version of the incredibly successful 1861, which itself is a version of the 861, the movement used in the 1968 Speedmaster. The 861 and its various successors have formed the core of the Speedmaster lineup ever since, but this is the first time a movement of this lineage has been used in a Dark Side of the Moon model. This is also the first time we see the famous Apollo 8 quote “We’ll see you on the other side,” a nice touch that’s discreetly placed on the back of the watch.

So what differentiates a movement like the 1861 from the new 1869? So far as I can tell, the finishing. These textured bridges resemble the far side of the moon, and the process by which these are made (as well as on the dial) is quite interesting as well, namely subtraction via laser ablation. But there’s so much more to see here than the lunar texture. You’ll not find any German 3/4 plate here to cover up the intricate workings of this chronograph, nor will a rotor block your view. You’re free to enjoy the entire chronograph, and you most certainly will.

I’m very pleased that Omega went with this movement. It is, no doubt, technically inferior to the far newer 9300, but aside from being thinner, it’s also part of the history of the Speedmaster and it makes it much more charming. The 9300 is a great looking movement, but because so much is covered up, it is nowhere near as fascinating to look at as this 1869 is. If you’re shopping for features and accuracy, I have little doubt the 9300 is going to come out on top, but if you’re more of a romantic, it will be very hard to resist the allure of the 1869, a movement so special that it is sold in precisely one model.

On a technical level, the 1869 is very much the old school, non-hacking movement you’d expect it to be. We won’t find any newfangled co-axial escapement here, or even a relatively traditional free sprung balance. Rather, we have a smooth balance, unlike, say, a Rolex 3135 or Omega 8500, which is kept in check via a regulator. Omega has largely abandoned this design these days, but brands like Grand Seiko and Zenith, among others, are still making excellent movements with it.

The frequency is true to its era as well. At 21,600 BPH, it is significantly lower than the average modern watch, which is 28.8k BPH. This gives the watch a rather laid-back sound. Fortunately, the staccato nature of a low frequency seconds hand is obscured by its small size. While the watch world has, more or less, agreed upon 28.8k as the ideal watch frequency, it is nonetheless generally believed that lower frequency movements experience less wear than their high frequency counterparts. It also contributes to relatively long power reserves, like the 1869’s above-average 48 hours.

I often say that the worst thing a luxury watch can be is boring, and the Apollo 8 is certainly not that. It’s a watch that delivers on every level. It’s got a fascinating history, an incredible dial, and a great movement, which is pretty much all you could ask of the watch. I love textured dials in general, and the decision to use the surface of the moon as a texture for both the front and back of the watch was inspired.

I love how eccentric this watch is. Dark Side of the Moon Speedmasters have always been a bit more fun-loving than the Speedmaster Professional, beneath their seemingly hardcore exterior, but the Apollo 8 takes it to another level. It completely gives up the pretense of being a tool watch and instead just focuses on being incredibly interesting. There’s just nothing boring about it-even the material the case is made out of is worth exploring.

And what a wonderful choice it was not only to rely on the 1861, but to decorate it in such a unique way. It looks every bit as cool as you imagine it would, but more importantly, Omega fans have been hoping for thinner watches for some time now, and Omega has finally made a DSotM for them. Thanks to the much thinner movement, the Dark Side of the Moon is substantially more lithe than its brethren.

The Apollo 8 is surprisingly far less expensive than other Dark Side of the Moon watches. The 311.92.44.30.01.001 seen here costs $9,750, well over $2,000 more affordable than most DSotMs. Even if the price were the same, the Apollo 8 would be my first choice in the Dark Side collection. That said, this particular model might be too wild for some, so please click here to see other DSotM watches, which are far more mild (keep in mind that this is mild relative to the Apollo 8). If, however, you want to see more about the Apollo 8, please click here.
Last edited by TimelessLuxWatches on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Omega Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8 Review

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:15 am

A fantastic review, as always! Please keep up the good work

This would be my choice as well of the DSotM models. The view of the movement from the dial side gives it a special twist and is expertly done. I can’t afford one, but this seems like a bargain at 10K - especially these days when a run of the mill used speedy pro is typically selling for over 3K.

Thanks for a great read
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 am

This watch isn’t my style but it’s clearly a high quality example of omega doing their own thing.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 am

Definitely my favorite in the current Speedy lineup. Lots of character and small details that make it really unique and love the yellow accents too.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 am

Fantastic watch.

Dogmann
Name: Marc

Post by Dogmann » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi Timeless and all,

Firstly thanks for that really well thought out and comprehensive review. I actually bought this watch my first new modern era Omega and the first Omega I could put on the wrist and not think F**k that's way too thick. I have to say though while 44.25mm does sound large due to it being all black and really light it just doesn't feel or wear like a large watch at all IMHO. The only other thing I think you missed mentioning that is worth noting is that Omega manage to finish their ceramic cases better then nearly all other manufacturers by both giving both brushed and polished finishes that replicate the finish on the stainless steel Moonwatch. The dial is even nicer in the flesh then even the best photos show IMO and I am also finding it runs quite accurately to and when I do reset the time every now and then the old slight backwards pressure back hacking is easy to achieve to sync the time. Lastly here is a picture to show just how well it sits on my 19cm wrist.

ImageApollo 8 slim shot by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
Cartier Pasha 18k White Gold factory set diamond minute square and cabochon.
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Such a cool watch. Ceramic cases scare me, but I'd make an exception for this one.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 pm

dukerules wrote:Such a cool watch. Ceramic cases scare me, but I'd make an exception for this one.
You’ll be fine - if you don’t routinely scratch or break sapphire crystals, you won’t break ceramic cases either.

TimelessLuxWatches
Name: Brett

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:12 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 am
Definitely my favorite in the current Speedy lineup. Lots of character and small details that make it really unique and love the yellow accents too.
I agree. I'm definitely an outlier in the watch world, but the Speedmaster Professional has always been too...professional...for me. I need something either totally minimalist or completely crazy. Plus I'm a big fan of yellow on black anyway.

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 am
This watch isn’t my style but it’s clearly a high quality example of omega doing their own thing.
It's kind of surprising to me that Omega even had the guts to pursue something this wild. It feels almost more Zenith than Omega.

blkgsl wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 am
Fantastic watch.
Definitely. I've always been a fan of the DSotM, but this takes it to new heights--that it's a lot thinner and more affordable really cement it as my favorite Speedmaster.
Dogmann wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:11 pm
Hi Timeless and all,

Firstly thanks for that really well thought out and comprehensive review. I actually bought this watch my first new modern era Omega and the first Omega I could put on the wrist and not think F**k that's way too thick. I have to say though while 44.25mm does sound large due to it being all black and really light it just doesn't feel or wear like a large watch at all IMHO. The only other thing I think you missed mentioning that is worth noting is that Omega manage to finish their ceramic cases better then nearly all other manufacturers by both giving both brushed and polished finishes that replicate the finish on the stainless steel Moonwatch. The dial is even nicer in the flesh then even the best photos show IMO and I am also finding it runs quite accurately to and when I do reset the time every now and then the old slight backwards pressure back hacking is easy to achieve to sync the time. Lastly here is a picture to show just how well it sits on my 19cm wrist.

ImageApollo 8 slim shot by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Marc
You're right, the finishing on Omega's ceramic cases is beautiful. I think I covered that more in earlier DSotM articles I wrote when the ceramic cases were more of the central focus of the watch (hopefully I did, anyway, because it's worth discussing). I was particularly impressed with the Grey Side of the Moon, because the grey case is so well-polished that it comes off looking like a metalloid.

As per the size, I don't have any intrinsic issue with it being 44.25mm, I just wish they'd branch out more with the DSotM line in general, and I think this watch, due to its thinness, might have been the place to reduce the size a bit. They can still make 44.25mm models, but it'd be nice if there were a 40 or 42mm in addition to the 44.25mm.
dukerules wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:27 pm
Such a cool watch. Ceramic cases scare me, but I'd make an exception for this one.
blkgsl wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 pm
dukerules wrote:Such a cool watch. Ceramic cases scare me, but I'd make an exception for this one.
You’ll be fine - if you don’t routinely scratch or break sapphire crystals, you won’t break ceramic cases either.
I tend to agree. People worry, understandably, about dropping their ceramic watches, but generally speaking, if you hit your ceramic watch hard enough to break it, the damage would also be extremely severe in a steel case too (likely including the crystal and movement). Granted, it's more expensive to replace a ceramic case than a steel case with dings and deformed lugs, but that'd be true of most unique materials.

For me, I worry a lot more about scratching my watch, so ceramic offers peace of mind. I really like hardened steel, tungsten and ceramic cases for this reason, and tend to avoid (personally) titanium, gold and platinum for this as well.

The one thing I would say that really favors steel is the ability to laser weld repairs. If you badly ding your case and are serious about getting it perfect without replacing it, you usually have the option to laser weld and add material, then polish it down. Given that steel is very likely to bend before breaking, at least the soft steels we use in the watch industry, you have theoretically infinite repairability. On the other hand, you won't be dinging ceramics to begin with (it's kind of an all or nothing material when it comes to damage), so short of the hard drops, this won't be necessary anyway.

But I certainly understand a preference for steel. I'm kind of full steam ahead when it comes to watch material science, personally.

Dogmann
Name: Marc

Post by Dogmann » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 am

@dukerules and all,

I think the issue of a ceramic watch shattering whilst of course possible has been highly over rated as whilst I am sure we have all seen the few examples of broken ceramic watches they are the exception. After so many years now if this really was an issue we would of seen a lot more pictures and complaints from owners of how easy and expensive this issue can be. Having said that on getting home with my new watch I added it to my Home Insurance and got cover for loss and theft from the home, for outside of home use and for travelling plus most importantly for me accidental damage. So in case the worst should happen it won't be the financial disaster it could be here in the UK all of that cover cost me £80 which I think is well worth the peace of mind.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
Cartier Pasha 18k White Gold factory set diamond minute square and cabochon.
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono