Garage floor refinish

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Garage floor refinish

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 pm

I wanted to post some info regarding our garage floor we epoxied recently. My wife epoxied it over 10 years ago with a homedepot kit and it just did not do well. She acid etched the floor like the directions said and power washed it. We decided to do some research and figure out how we could do it better this time.

Some of our local guys told use we need to actually sand/grind the concrete floor to get the top layer off (I think it is called surface cream). I rented a floor buffer style machine from homedepot and one their diamond grinders. I expected it to take 2-4 hours and took almost 14 hours. You have to wear a respirator due to all the dust it creates. This shit took forever and was exhausting. And everything stored in the top of our rafters is still covered in concrete dust. :crybaby:

Next I located a Colorado based company called Garage Floor LLC to get some product. With some of the info they gave me I settle on a Aluminum Metallic Garage Floor Urethane Coating. It basically looks/feels like aluminum foil when it is dry. This stuff went on as easy as water. They give you enough cover your floor almost 3 times. Crazy they give you so much. In the kit you get from them you get everything you need, including a pound of flake. For what I wanted it was short on flake so I got more at homedepot. Next I applied 3 coats of clear. This stuff also went on super easy. But it was hard to see the areas I had already covered.

This system was a one kit setup. No mixing of hardeners or anything like that. All in all this took me almost a week to finish. The floor looks great and I am really impressed with it. I drag my floor jacks across it and weld over the top of it with no issues. I think this floor will last a long freaking time.

I think by the time we did the floor grinding rental, and urethane we might have $900 into it and a shit ton sweet equity.
https://www.garageflooringllc.com/trualloy/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Garage floor refinish

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:26 pm

That looks fantastic - 900 bucks is very reasonable

I need to redo mine, but I don’t have a week ;(
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:04 pm

Looks great mine needs a re do as well

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 am

That looks great, T!

I’m also in the “garage floor needs redoing” club, but I think mine might need even more effort due to scaling and deterioration.

I’m actually thinking mine might need to be cut out and replaced completely.

It’ll be a springtime job for me.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Damn T that turned out great! And only $900 is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:44 am

just a thought, as I look at your wooden shelves - I just redid my garage (obviously minus the floor) as it was surrounded by those wooden shelves or the lowe's wire shelves - crap, really. I bought steel lockers from home depot - about 350 bones each, but they are huge and after a good deep clean, which you probably just did, my garage looks 100% better - no cheesy shelves - everything behind closed doors.

Crappy pic, but you get the point.

shelves.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:19 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:26 pm
That looks fantastic - 900 bucks is very reasonable

I need to redo mine, but I don’t have a week ;(
If you do not have any epoxy on it that has to be removed then you can do this in about 2-3 days imo.
amckiwi wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:04 pm
Looks great mine needs a re do as well
Thanks. I kind of took my time because I got pretty sick right before this. So my energy levels were in the shitter. :crybaby:
Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 am
That looks great, T!

I’m also in the “garage floor needs redoing” club, but I think mine might need even more effort due to scaling and deterioration.

I’m actually thinking mine might need to be cut out and replaced completely.

It’ll be a springtime job for me.
Scaling can be sanded down and releveled with a top coat. Kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl3bY7Z88k
Captdave wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:35 pm
Damn T that turned out great! And only $900 is crazy.
I think if I had to pay someone it would have been around 2-3k. I have a shit ton of sweat equity into it due to not owning the best tools to do the job.
deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:44 am
just a thought, as I look at your wooden shelves - I just redid my garage (obviously minus the floor) as it was surrounded by those wooden shelves or the lowe's wire shelves - crap, really. I bought steel lockers from home depot - about 350 bones each, but they are huge and after a good deep clean, which you probably just did, my garage looks 100% better - no cheesy shelves - everything behind closed doors.

Crappy pic, but you get the point.
Paul the cabinets look great. We were actually looking into them and might do them in the long run. But our garage is kind of tight with a few projects I have going so I do not have much floor space to give up. I did install a few smaller Huskey wall cabinets and a new to me Husky 72" tool box. :headbang:

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:16 am

Looks great. Terry you are a jack of all tradesman.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:33 pm

Looks sharp Terry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:40 am

Just an update on the floor. It is doing really great. I do take some precautions with it. When I am welding I put a weld blanket down to protect it. When using jack stands I use an old floor mat under them. All in all it was totally worth it. The only thing I recommend is to NOT take as much time patching the floor and griding it. It does not have to perfectly flat, the paint and flakes will hide most of the imperfections.