I've heard Run-Flats are bad in Rain.....

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

I've heard Run-Flats are bad in Rain.....

Post by rockmastermike » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:35 am

poor traction in rain, snow, expensive to replace and harsh ride are the cons to having these on your ride....any truth to this?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: I've heard Run-Flats are bad in Rain.....

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 am

Expensive to replace for certain. I’ve not driven enough on them to really give you an opinion on harshness or handling, but I’ve heard the sticker shock from people who needed to replace them.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 am

Have them on my BMW wagon. I don’t see any traction difference vs non run flat... I mean the tread and rubber compound shouldn’t be any different. I suppose maybe at the track where stiffer sidewalls might allow less traction to be put down through high speed cornering. Main difference is stiffer sidewalls. Ride can be harsh if you have them with super low profile tires.

Many BMW drivers ditch them right away, but then you are left without a safety net during a flat and are forced to call a tow truck as there is no spare. Here in Indiana pothole season eats tires so I have 17” wheel with runflats with a decent sidewall profile and the ride is fine.

As far as cost, seemed like when I replaced them they were maybe $20 per tire more than the Pirelli non run flats, but you have less options. For me it is a worthy trade off as I would rather not be late for a meeting stranded on an interstate somewhere.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 am

They’re heavy too.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 am
They’re heavy too.
Yeah, I just looked up the non flat Pirelli P7 tires on my car for apples to apples and they are 23 lbs vs 27 lbs on the run flat. A spare tire, wheel and jack will weigh 40+ lbs so overall run flats allow manufacturers to keep weight down and save space.... but the heavier tires are unsprung weight which impacts handling.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:17 am

I just got a BMW 230ix with my first set of run flats, and I honestly haven't noticed any difference from non run-flats. My only options at order were run flats or performance tires, and I really didn't want performance tires. Like Nick said, mine have a decent sidewall (50s) so that helps absorb harshness. I don't think I've driven it in snow yet, but it's been perfectly fine in rain. It's all wheel drive and has all sorts of driver assist junk which helps with traction.

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:55 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:35 am
poor traction in rain, snow, expensive to replace and harsh ride are the cons to having these on your ride....any truth to this?
Yes, replaced mine on my X5 a couple years ago, haven't looked back. Huge improvement in ride, and improved traction.

They really aren't worth it, even if you get a flat they are only good for 20 miles at low speeds. Much rather get a tow truck (or buy a spare tire kit).

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:07 am

Run flats of mid-2000’s sucked, but current ones are significantly improved. I wouldn’t hesitate to run them.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:57 am

djh1201 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:55 am

They really aren't worth it, even if you get a flat they are only good for 20 miles at low speeds. Much rather get a tow truck (or buy a spare tire kit).
My Pirelli’s are rated for 50mph for 50 miles when flat, or similar to a spare. That is good enough to get me to my meeting on time, or to a tire shop.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:57 am

Depends what you want out of the tires. My first 2007 RFT were terrible. Newer ones are much better but they’re nowhere near as good as something like P4S. For regular driving they’re almost as good as regular. BMW runs normal tires on their M models and you can ask the dealer to swap for non-RFT on others

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:07 pm

dnslater wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:57 am
djh1201 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:55 am

My Pirelli’s are rated for 50mph for 50 miles when flat, or similar to a spare. That is good enough to get me to my meeting on time, or to a tire shop.
Glad you are happy with them. To an earlier point, lower profile tires will always ride harsher (especially run-flats). They are heavier, which can affect handling, and more expensive (often much more if you are running a larger diameter/low profile tire).

If you go on any of the BMW forums/Facebook groups you will find many, many have ditched them and are quite happy to be rid of them.

I personally haven't had a catastrophic flat in at least 10 years. PLENTY of slow leaks from nails, etc. that resulted in a new tire or a patch, but nothing that has left me stranded by the side of the road. Because of that I haven't bothered to purchase a spare, jack, etc.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:48 pm

I’ve been driving on them for ten years- I think they handle fine, ride can be rough at times; they don’t wear well-

I don’t find them to be too pricey..

Many guys I know put snow tires on here in northeast.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:44 pm

if my car came with them I would keep them until they wore out. after that i personally would not buy them.

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:26 am

They do what they are designed to do well but not much else. Most people probably won’t notice their deficiencies in other areas and advertising run flats help sell cars and tires. Once you match a better tire and characteristics to your vehicle you will realize how bad they are.
Regards
Barry

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:12 am

Thanks, everyone....I'll plug all of this into the bat computer later this afternoon

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 am

Avoid is my recommendation. Get real tires.