Biking: beginner tips?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Re: Biking: beginner tips?

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:57 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Ben, I think your issue might be that you are very stretched out. That’s a long stem and a pretty straight bar. I’d try a shorter stem and a bar with a little bit of sweep, like the Salsa Bend.

Yes- I may end up getting a new bar with a sweep. We’ll see how this goes bing straight and low set.

justsellbrgs wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:44 pm
31.3" standover is definitely bigger than I'd expect from a medium. That'd definitely be touching my balls.

But even with a bike too big by standover standards, I'd expect I'd be able to adjust the seat so that I could ride it (it'd just be touchy when dismounting).
Surly runs slightly big -- and this is a two-niner (so bigger yet)....... I'm not sure what he's doing to slam his balls on the tube. In general MTB I'd want slightly smaller frame, road/gravel you can go slightly bigger.....
When Ben says he is trying to figure out how all these gears and levers work I'm wondering if he's 75 years old.
My test run was mostly me going through the gears. Way different from the trek. I don’t even remember how many speed it is. To be honest I’m still trying to figure out the gears on the left side. I read they are for fine tuning once you’re in a cruising gear but they seem more functional than that on the ogre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 pm

hoppyjr wrote:Nice

Here’s that photo of your old bike.

That is actually my stationary down in the basement. And yes it takes a few long rides before you get comfortable on that one too.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:31 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:55 pm
Nice

Here’s that photo of your old bike.

Old school. This is is the modern equivalent.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:27 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:57 pm
CGSshorty wrote:Ben, I think your issue might be that you are very stretched out. That’s a long stem and a pretty straight bar. I’d try a shorter stem and a bar with a little bit of sweep, like the Salsa Bend.

Yes- I may end up getting a new bar with a sweep. We’ll see how this goes bing straight and low set.

justsellbrgs wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:44 pm
31.3" standover is definitely bigger than I'd expect from a medium. That'd definitely be touching my balls.

But even with a bike too big by standover standards, I'd expect I'd be able to adjust the seat so that I could ride it (it'd just be touchy when dismounting).
Surly runs slightly big -- and this is a two-niner (so bigger yet)....... I'm not sure what he's doing to slam his balls on the tube. In general MTB I'd want slightly smaller frame, road/gravel you can go slightly bigger.....
When Ben says he is trying to figure out how all these gears and levers work I'm wondering if he's 75 years old.
My test run was mostly me going through the gears. Way different from the trek. I don’t even remember how many speed it is. To be honest I’m still trying to figure out the gears on the left side. I read they are for fine tuning once you’re in a cruising gear but they seem more functional than that on the ogre.

If you are extended to far the seat will put more pressure on the taint. You want to sit more upright then in attack mode (angled forward). Keep the stock bars and get a 60mm length stem with a 30 degree rise to it. That way you sit higher in the cockpit and not as stretched out. It is tough find out what works honestly. I use a stem like I recommended with some bullhorn bars.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:59 am

.[/quote]

[/quote]

huh? shifter on right changes the rear cassette...... if there is a shifter on the left it changes the front ring.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:37 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:59 am

[/quote]

huh? shifter on right changes the rear cassette...... if there is a shifter on the left it changes the front ring.
[/quote]

Count me a recent convert- left shifter should only be operating a dropper or remote lockout :mrgreen:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am

Thanks for all your help guys.

Yesterday I went on a 20mi ride and it went well.
Had to stop for a little while as it started raining really hard. There is a nice shelter with portapotties 6 miles into my route. Took a few ass breaks as well.

What I learned:

-Need 2 water bottle cages
-Need to bring a cliff bar with me. Got shaky last 3-4 miles.
-wrist got a little numb. Really considering a different handlebar in the near future. Need a little bend.
Choosing between these for now, opinions welcomed:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/terminal_bar

https://surlybikes.com/parts/moloko_bar

-same ass problems but better than when I started. Also looking for a seat with a split in the middle. Opinions welcomed.

-used the Strava App and loved it. Very accurate compared to 3 others I tried out. Only problem is it kept falling asleep and going black. I’d have to swipe up to see distance. Also it doesn’t show current MPH only average. The other apps did not have these problems but they were not as accurate at all.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:27 am

I was wrong on the handlebars I have. I have these. https://www.google.com/search?q=Origin8 ... e&ie=UTF-8 They are crazy comfy for long rides.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 am

Look at the Salsa Bend bars. They come in two versions, one more swept back than the other.

The Moloko bars are cool as hell, and are what I’ll use when I build a Surly ECR in the future.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:10 am

Alternatively, try a new set of grips. The Ergon GA3 solved the issues I was having with numbness in my right hand. The GP series is even more comfortable.

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/article-gp1.html
David St. Hubbins

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Awesome Ben! I would say, start with 10 mile rides in order to strengthen the ass, back and wrists.

I also use Strava, look me up. José Pérez, in San Juan, PR.
CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:10 am
Alternatively, try a new set of grips. The Ergon GA3 solved the issues I was having with numbness in my right hand. The GP series is even more comfortable.

Good to know Chris, I've had the GA3 on the Amazon shopping cart for a few weeks, going to pull the trigger on them.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Joeprez wrote:Awesome Ben! I would say, start with 10 mile rides in order to strengthen the ass, back and wrists.

CGSshorty wrote:

Good to know Chris, I've had the GA3 on the Amazon shopping cart for a few weeks, going to pull the trigger on them.
They’re excellent. They solved my issue while not looking like they belong on an old person’s bike.
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:25 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am

Had to stop for a little while as it started raining really hard. There is a nice shelter with portapotties 6 miles into my route. Took a few ass breaks as well.

What I learned:

-wrist got a little numb. Really considering a different handlebar in the near future. Need a little bend.

-same ass problems but better than when I started. Also looking for a seat with a split in the middle. Opinions welcomed.

-used the Strava App and loved it. Very accurate compared to 3 others I tried out. Only problem is it kept falling asleep and going black. I’d have to swipe up to see distance. Also it doesn’t show current MPH only average. The other apps did not have these problems but they were not as accurate at all.
why as a beginner are you doing 20 miles? shit that is a lot for anyone. and at that kind of distance why not a road bike?

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:31 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

why as a beginner are you doing 20 miles? shit that is a lot for anyone. and at that kind of distance why not a road bike?
All for the 20miles, but not for all that rolling resistance on the mtb tires lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Image Image

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Look at the Salsa Bend bars. They come in two versions, one more swept back than the other.

The Moloko bars are cool as hell, and are what I’ll use when I build a Surly ECR in the future.
toxicavenger wrote:I was wrong on the handlebars I have. I have these. https://www.google.com/search?q=Origin8 ... e&ie=UTF-8 They are crazy comfy for long rides.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
I def need some sort of rise or bend if I ride longer.
Not sure if I just need a stem with a nice bend or just get a new handlebar that has a bend already with swoop.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:01 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Alternatively, try a new set of grips. The Ergon GA3 solved the issues I was having with numbness in my right hand. The GP series is even more comfortable.

When you suggested to search some ogre builds on IG I saw some with these grips. I may try these first .

I went 10mi today and 8 mi of it was on crushed gravel. I could feel some numbness about half way through.

My ass is still hurting pretty bad. Had to get off a few times. Came home and moved my seat back a little, hope that helps or I’ll be looking for a different seat.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Joeprez wrote:Awesome Ben! I would say, start with 10 mile rides in order to strengthen the ass, back and wrists.

CGSshorty wrote:

Cool I’ll look you up. I’m not on FB and didn’t connect it to social media so I’m not sure if anyone can find me.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:09 pm

TLgdeL wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

All for the 20miles, but not for all that rolling resistance on the mtb tires lol

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

You’re not supposed to go 20mi on these tires? Why is that? I realize the skinny road tires are better for distance, but will mine wear faster or something?
Yeah the pros with their uniforms and skinny tires are super fast. They all pass me.

I was just trying to push myself a little. Since I cancelled my gym membership I was trying to get a good workout.
It did the trick. I felt beat up all day after but feeling good today.
Odd thing is I just noticed I have bruises on the outside of my knee caps. My knees don’t hurt at all so I don’t know why that happened.
My plan is to do a 12mi route on normal days. But today I went a different path and direction just to see what was there.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 pm

BBK357 wrote:
TLgdeL wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

You’re not supposed to go 20mi on these tires? Why is that? I realize the skinny road tires are better for distance, but will mine wear faster or something?
Yeah the pros with their uniforms and skinny tires are super fast. They all pass me.

I was just trying to push myself a little. Since I cancelled my gym membership I was trying to get a good workout.
Odd thing is I just noticed I have bruises on the outside of my knee caps. My knees don’t hurt at all so I don’t know why that happened.
My plan is to do a 12mi route on normal days. But today I went a different path and direction just to see what was there.

Didn't realize you were on crushed gravel. You're all good. I'm next to the C&O canal towpath which is crushed gravel from DC to Cumberland, MD.. I've done it plenty of times with my road bike and it sucks on my ass and arms. I've done it with my mtb and it sucks being slow.

Keep crushing it man. Century rides are right around the corner!

Image Image

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:37 pm

TLgdeL wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
TLgdeL wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

What I learned:

Didn't realize you were on crushed gravel. You're all good. I'm next to the C&O canal towpath which is crushed gravel from DC to Cumberland, MD.. I've done it plenty of times with my road bike and it sucks on my ass and arms. I've done it with my mtb and it sucks being slow.

Keep crushing it man. Century rides are right around the corner!

Thanks!
Well today was my first time on gravel- and wow what a difference. When I hit that last mile back to my truck it went to pavement and it almost felt easy.

But yeah the 20mi yesterday was on pavement. I guess it’s good that these tires can do both.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:40 pm

You can go all the miles you want on that bike. I don’t like road bikes, prefer mtb’s. Yes road bikes are faster, but if you are riding for the exercise and for fun (like me), you are good to go. However, don’t push yourself too hard. Better to ride 5 miles daily than 20 once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:46 am

If you are staying on pavement get some decent road/dirt tires that are less aggressive. that way you have less resistance. or just ride in the dirt and only do about 3-5 miles but make it a hard ride. don't "camp out" on your bike. that is what road bikes are built for. hell find you a dirt hill and attack it 5 or 6 times and you will get a work out.

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm

I had the Moloko... nice bar..... look at the Moloko, Jones Loop (riser version)..... salsa bend, ritchie Kyoto...and the ones offerd by Velo Orange.

and I'm ginna blow all your minds ------- check this >>> https://whatbars.com

choose a bar and it will pop up on grid....choose another and it will overlay.... sweep and rise is key Ben

and the Ergons are key.....
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Stumbled into a nice deal on this....couldn’t pass it up.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:40 pm

Nice. Now take that fender off.
David St. Hubbins