Biking: beginner tips?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 pm

james80 wrote:Awesome Surly

I just lost the very long well thought out reply I spent the last hour typing, so now you you'll get the short angry version

Glad to see another on of us on a bike, riding's awesome and the only thing that's helped me keep my shit togeather for the last two years. Also lost 40lbs (but gained back a covid 10!).

Saddles are very individual and you need to know the size and shape of you sit bones, take a look at the links below to know more about your sit bones than you ever wanted to know

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/ergonomics/sq ... bone-pain/

https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/free-sqlab-ft-kit

Avoid padded seats but do get padded shorts, expect some pain as your causif ('cause if it wasn't there I'd have a vag) gets used to the abuse. I ride 70-80 miles a week (heading for 2500 this year), mostly 20 mile plus mixed road and trail rides on an MTB, on road rides I get discomfort around mile 20 but I think this is unavoidable. For the type of riding you're doing I'd leave the sadddle flat, the angle changes the pressure points and would normally be adjusted to suit riding style (nose slight up for climbing, slightly down for downhill) and not fit, get comforatable on the bike then angle it to suit what your doing. My bike is set up quite aggressivly with the bars 2.5" lower than the saddle and I keep mine completly flat.

Have someone ride behind you and check if your hips are rocking, if they are then your saddle is probably too high and will be causing more chaffing and bruising.

What's your name on Strava? this is me: https://www.strava.com/athletes/6141395

@apnk love the Canyon, I'd like one for road rides and hill training but won't do lycra!

@Joeprez you're strava's private bro and you won't accept me :crybaby:

And just becuase we're talking bike's here's where most of my watch collection went, 24lb with pedals:

I’m getting pretty good now at figuring out my ergos. I think with this new saddle it may be an inch too low but I’ll adjust that on my next ride. No chafing issues at all. Just sit bone.
I tried to measure my sit bones last month.
I did it ass naked on the steps with foil. I could not get a good imprint. Very frustrated. From what I thought I could see I was a little wider so I went with this Fizik in 160mm instead of 150mm.
I’d this doesn’t work for me I will be getting measured before I buy a Brooks b17.

What saddle do you have?

That bike is nice!! I thought mine was aggressive but damn your seat is super high. How tall are you?

Yes going out and hitting the path has been great for me. I’m down almost 40lb for the year- but I have another 40lb to go. This has been a great form of exercise. This is why I get so agitated when my ass bones hurt so much.
I think you added me on Strava today. I’ll have to log back in.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Biking: beginner tips?

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:56 pm

ben I think you are pussy trails if you are staying in the saddle that long. find some trails that are aggressive full of hills and dirt. A good 2-3 mile trail is all you need to great work out. if you are trying to be a pavement hoe then get a pavement bike. not a mtn bike.

oh and use a plug that has diamonds, that way people can see you from behind.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 pm

It’s a Syncros (Scott’s in house component brand) XR1.5, I think it’s 132mm wide. I’ve been lucky with saddles, this one and the one that came on my last bike, a Giant Trance, have both worked well for me. I do get some numbness on one hill climb I do but that’s 1600ft in 5 miles and I loose feeling around mile 3.

I’m 6’1” and the bike’s a large Scott Spark RC. I just dropped the stem 1 spacer to put some more weight on the front and get a little more bite on turn in.

Huge congratulations on the weight loss! When you get comfortable with the miles try to add in hills a couple of times a week, elevation is a great way to boost weight loss and build fitness.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 am

^^^^

Where I access the bike trial, one way is paved and goes down across the whole state, the other is gravel and all country. The info like the gravel better as I feel like it’s more of a workout.

I don’t know if any MTB trails in my area. I don’t even know if I can find any nearby at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 am

Well... That just happened.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 am

SoCal C4S wrote:Well... That just happened.

Nice! How are you liking it?

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:39 pm

james80 wrote:

Nice! How are you liking it?
I love it. Rode the past two afternoons. It’s a hell of a bike, and the rack was probably the best reviewed one I found.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Get some lights for night riding. We love the trails at night - no crowds and some different wildlife.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 am

Was thinking about that. I definitely need a good light or two for this reason.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:07 am

I just bought the new Olight RN-1500. It’s incredible.

https://www.olightstore.com/rn-1500.html
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks! Looking at them now.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 pm

I have a Lezyne 1500 XXL for the handlebars and a Nightrider (Lumina?) 600 for the helmet. More than enough light for me.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Just got it back from the one-month tune up. I’ve ridden a dozen times since picking it up, with ~6 hours worth of riding this past Saturday. Honestly, I’m loving it!