Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:31 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 am
Funny but I always had more fun with smaller bikes... larger ones might have too much power to use in normal condition. Unless one goes to a track of course... but that Husquarna looks very sweet Joe, I read it is a hoot to ride. Congratulations , have fun :grin: and ride safely. :thumbsup:
Thank you Carlo! It definitely have enough power for me right now. Unless I start riding in the highway a lot, this one should be enough for me.

However I won't deny that there are other bikes that I like a lot for when it's time to upgrade, like a Triumph Street/Speed Twin or Scrambler or a BMW R nine T. But no rush, I want to learn to ride properly first ;)

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:36 am

Seppia wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:20 am
That’s super cool Joe!
My 919 is fantastic, I’ve been riding it quite a bit but mostly for fun rides, nothing too long (30-45mins).
Only thing I’ll need to change is I’d probably have to buy some custom footrests, as my legs are a bit too long for the bike.
Nothing bad, but not super comfortable and after 1 hour it gets annoying.
Have fun man!
Nice to hear that Andrea! I tried looking for a similar Honda here, but not one popped up (or a CB650 or CB500 :shrug: ).

I will hopefully be able to ride for an hour or two every weekend (until sports for the kids start again, that will make it harder).

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:42 am

Congrats Joe! It’s a looker for sure. Oh...assuming it has ABS, best to break 100% with the front break for more control. Unless you plan to do wheelies of course :cheers:
- Mart -

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 am

Marjak wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:42 am
Congrats Joe! It’s a looker for sure. Oh...assuming it has ABS, best to break 100% with the front break for more control. Unless you plan to do wheelies of course :cheers:
Not sure that is a good practice, best balance and power is to use both front and back brakes. Practicing until you get the best feel for the pressure on both and shortest braking distance.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:15 am

Joeprez wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 am
Had a lot of fun re-reading this thread, once again, thanks for the recommendations!

TL;DR, I bought a bike.

But first off:
mikeylacroix wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Well I crashed.
How are you doing Mike, how's the shoulder?
SoCal C4S wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Bought a 2013 KLR650 from a hangar neighbor a week ago.
Seppia wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:14 pm
I think I’ve just bought this on a whim.
RJ, Andrea, how are them bikes doing?

So, last time I posted I said that I was putting plans on hold due to the COVID-19 lockdown plus the fact that I had bought a Tacoma and wanted to do some stuff to it. Well, last month I said "fuck it", I'm getting a new bike and again went to the dealerships looking for a Yamaha XSR 700, Triumph Scrambler, Honda CB650R or a Husqvarna Svartpilen and a funny thing happened.... there are almost zero bikes on stock in Puerto Rico! On top of that, prices has gone up since I checked back in March.... which at first I thought that it didn't make any sense on a slow economy (again, due to the lockdown). I started talking with the salespersons and they all told the same story: lots of people have been receiving unemployment / CARES Act checks and have been buying motorcycles, jet skis, quads, etc. I also check with several friends on the US, same thing in some parts over there :lol:

So, I was now, money in hand, with no bike to purchase. Then two weeks ago I received a call from a friend, he had bought a Svartpilen 401 on January 2020, rode it for 1,000 miles and then decided to sell it as he needed the money for his boat. Bike its new, even have the dealer stickers. He added LED blinkers which look great, iphone mount with charger and new clutch and front brake levers (in gold, not a fan, but whatever... I like that they are adjustable). These bikes are selling used here for around $6,700 and new for $7,900 and I got mine for $5,000. Happy with the deal, used and modern (2019) bike to learn with, all is great :fro:

Rode for about half an hour the day I picked it up, will ride again with a friend this Sunday. Already have all my safety gear (full face helmet, riding jeans with armor, mesh jacket with armor, gloves... just waiting for riding boots, but will wear a pair of over-the-ankle leather boots I have). Looking for courses here, and if there aren't any, I already have seen several youtube videos of drills to practice in an empty parking lot (emergency braking, low speed u-turns, etc). Also been practicing counter steer and getting familiar with the rear brake. I've been riding mountain bikes for years and my instinct is to always break with the right hand.

Now for the pics:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congrats Joe- love the bike- all the best with it.

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:39 pm

CarloDWC wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 am
Marjak wrote:
Not sure that is a good practice, best balance and power is to use both front and back brakes. Practicing until you get the best feel for the pressure on both and shortest braking distance.
I personally found this to be true:
‘When you just want to slow down a bit, but not do an emergency brake, you might use the rear,or both, it has an effect on ride stability at times. Emergency Brakes Always mean to almost exclusively use the front brake. The rear helps in the first 0.5 seconds, then you have to get off or the rear wheel slides.’

As I ride almost exclusively in very busy city traffic I developed the habit of always being ready for an emergency brake. No time for balanced breaking using both front and rear, so front only for me to stop fast without my rear sliding left and right.
- Mart -

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Marjak wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:39 pm
CarloDWC wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 am
Marjak wrote:
I personally found this to be true:
‘When you just want to slow down a bit, but not do an emergency brake, you might use the rear,or both, it has an effect on ride stability at times. Emergency Brakes Always mean to almost exclusively use the front brake. The rear helps in the first 0.5 seconds, then you have to get off or the rear wheel slides.’

As I ride almost exclusively in very busy city traffic I developed the habit of always being ready for an emergency brake. No time for balanced breaking using both front and rear, so front only for me to stop fast without my rear sliding left and right.
I am not arguing with what you do or like to do. That is up to you and you only... :grin:

However I would not suggest or advise such habit to someone else. Bikes have two wheels and two set of brakes, front and back. I know by experience of almost 50 years of riding motorcycles that one forms habits and then in emergencies these habits "take over". I friend of mine used to do the same as you, use only the front brake. He almost lost his leg in an accident because he could not stop before hitting a car. I don't know if he could have avoided the impact if he was in fact using both brakes, but I know for sure that if he was used to and had practiced to use both and this was like a second nature for him he would have performed better.

I experienced that over and over in quasi emergency situations, using both brakes correctly stopped the bike much better and in much shorter distance then using only the front brake, what's more the bike was more balanced and could be swerved left or right in a more controlled way.

I am sure you drive safely and know what you do, and probably you are used to anything...

But I find that suggesting practicing and using proper (using both front and back) braking is in fact advisable. That does not mean one cannot use one brake in some situations, but I would never advise or suggest it, it could be misinterpreted or misunderstood. That's all. :grin:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Sweet bike Joe! Ride safe.
The Hapa

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 am

I’ve found that 80/20 ratio of front brake to rear to be optimal. It just makes sense as, the harder you brake, your inertia puts more pressure on the front tire so it grabs more effective. The rear tire unweights under severe braking causing a skid.

This is why most “sport” bikes have larger, dual, discs in front and a single smaller disc in the rear. Heck, I’ve heard of dedicated track bikes with rear brakes intentionally set up to be mushy so you could stomp on them and they wouldn’t lock up.

That said, all my bike experiences have been with “sport” oriented bikes. Full dresser style touring bikes might have enough weight over the rear tire to make that brake effective.

I also agree you need to practice proper techniques as what you practice is what you’ll do in an emergency. The better you anticipate the stupidity of other drivers, the less likely a panic stop will be necessary.

Joe’s bike has a long swing arm, so that rear tire is way back. He’ll have to really clutch and hoist to get that front tire in the air (a skill you should learn, Joe, in case you ever find yourself with an under inflated front tire :lol: ). I can easy see that rear tire locking up (assuming no ABS) if Joe over emphasizes the rear brake. Find a parking lot and practice is probably the best of all advice.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:45 am

As for the “bigger is better” discussion, it is almost like the “2 foot-itess” disease that afflicts boaters. Everyone wants a boat that is about 2 feet longer than what they’ve got.

Years ago I went from a Kawasaki ZX6R to a Truimph Daytona 995i (600cc sport bike to 1000cc sport bike). I found the 6R to be much more fun a ride around town. It made you shift and think about your power band. The Daytona might as well have been an automatic transmission. 0-60 was first gear. 60- about 100mph was second. It was a blast on open remote roads where you could really let it rip, but it was both heavier and hotter around town.

If I were on an island where chances for 140MPH runs are pretty limited, I think a light weight, smaller bike would be more fun. Horses for courses.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:47 pm

That's hot joe.
Need more pics of the 401!!
I m keen on the new duke390 heh

First big track day since the crash
Did well considering all that has happened.

Just be aware that locking the rear can happen in an emergency situation if ur used to using both front back together.
Best case scenario ur engine dies n u stall uptight.
Worst case scenario ur high siding...
IMG_6059.jpg
Sent from my vivo 1920 using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joeprez

Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Joeprez » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Really appreciate all the comments, definitely need read/watch videos and practice braking.

Will keep updating my learning and the bikes in this thread.

Had a great ride last Sunday and the bike was really great. Fun to discover old roads and riding through the smaller towns that unfortunately I seldom visit.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by Joeprez on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 am

Those are some kickass views

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 am

Yes, I think you picked the right bike for your little slice of paradise. Taking a quick glance at the stats you posted, it looks like your average speed was 20 MPH and you maxed out at only 56. Sounds to me like a lot of back roads and twisties. A liter bike probably wouldn't be a whole lot of fun in those. As a matter of fact, I think I could probably navigate that route more quickly on a light weight, "hooligan" style bike at maybe 600cc than I could with my 995i Daytona.

Now that you own your bike, and in the spirit of the "2 foot-itis" disease that nearly all boat owners suffer from, I would suggest you start saving for the Truimph Street Triple RS to terrorize your back roads.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 am

Joeprez wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm
Really appreciate all the comments, definitely need read/watch videos and practice braking.

Had a great ride last Sunday and the bike was really great. Fun to discover old roads and riding through the smaller towns that unfortunately I seldom visit.

ImageImageImageImage

Joe, a great thing to check out is "Ienatsch Tuesday" on Cycle World
https://www.cycleworld.com/blogs/ienatsch-tuesday/

Tips every week :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 am

jeckyll wrote:
Joeprez wrote:

ImageImageImageImage

Gotta do the yamaha school someday.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:12 am

mikeylacroix wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 am
jeckyll wrote:<<snip>>

I know some folks that went and found it really valuable. :cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:55 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 am
Joeprez wrote:

ImageImageImageImage

Will certainly do, thanks!
mikeylacroix wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 am
Those are some kickass views

Thanks!

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:15 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 am
Yes, I think you picked the right bike for your little slice of paradise. Taking a quick glance at the stats you posted, it looks like your average speed was 20 MPH and you maxed out at only 56. Sounds to me like a lot of back roads and twisties. A liter bike probably wouldn't be a whole lot of fun in those. As a matter of fact, I think I could probably navigate that route more quickly on a light weight, "hooligan" style bike at maybe 600cc than I could with my 995i Daytona.

Now that you own your bike, and in the spirit of the "2 foot-itis" disease that nearly all boat owners suffer from, I would suggest you start saving for the Truimph Street Triple RS to terrorize your back roads.

I had a lot of fun, but to be honest you could run 80% of the route faster, I'm just not there yet (and I don't mind).

Most people I know that have sport bikes (that actually use them as intended) buy 600cc and 750cc bikes. Its enough for the roads here. You used to see a lot of Hayabusas when I was younger, but not anymore. You mostly see a lot of Honda CBR600, Yamaha YZF-R6 and Suzuki GSX in 600cc and 750cc engines.

And recently I've started seeing a lot of Super Motos, Dukes 390's, Scrambler bikes converted for road use, and naked bikes from Yamaha and BMW. Local KTM dealers have already received the Duke 200's so I'm sure I'll see a lot of those shortly.

And Harleys on Sunday (MD's, laywers, dentists) :grin:

The Street Triple is a seriously cool bike! From Triumph I'm also digging the Scrambler a lot.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Ryeguy wrote:I’ve found that 80/20 ratio of front brake to rear to be optimal. It just makes sense as, the harder you brake, your inertia puts more pressure on the front tire so it grabs more effective. The rear tire unweights under severe braking causing a skid.

This is why most “sport” bikes have larger, dual, discs in front and a single smaller disc in the rear. Heck, I’ve heard of dedicated track bikes with rear brakes intentionally set up to be mushy so you could stomp on them and they wouldn’t lock up.

That said, all my bike experiences have been with “sport” oriented bikes. Full dresser style touring bikes might have enough weight over the rear tire to make that brake effective.

I also agree you need to practice proper techniques as what you practice is what you’ll do in an emergency. The better you anticipate the stupidity of other drivers, the less likely a panic stop will be necessary.

Joe’s bike has a long swing arm, so that rear tire is way back. He’ll have to really clutch and hoist to get that front tire in the air (a skill you should learn, Joe, in case you ever find yourself with an under inflated front tire :lol: ). I can easy see that rear tire locking up (assuming no ABS) if Joe over emphasizes the rear brake. Find a parking lot and practice is probably the best of all advice.
I think front brake only is a horrible habit to learn. Become efficient at using both and you’ll learn how to stop fast and controlled. I use probably about 70/30 - 60/40 depending. I also always have the front brake covered with 2 fingers. Becoming proficient in rear braking will do amazing things for your riding. Trail braking comes in very handy. Also, find a parking lot and go lock up the rear. The more comfortable you are with that feeling the easier it becomes to control.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Erratic101 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm
Ryeguy wrote:I’ve found that 80/20 ratio of front brake to rear to be optimal. It just makes sense as, the harder you brake, your inertia puts more pressure on the front tire so it grabs more effective. The rear tire unweights under severe braking causing a skid.

I think front brake only is a horrible habit to learn. Become efficient at using both and you’ll learn how to stop fast and controlled. I use probably about 70/30 - 60/40 depending. I also always have the front brake covered with 2 fingers. Becoming proficient in rear braking will do amazing things for your riding. Trail braking comes in very handy. Also, find a parking lot and go lock up the rear. The more comfortable you are with that feeling the easier it becomes to control.
I see you quoted me but I don’t think there is an argument here. I said 80/20, you said 70/30. Bottom line is the majority of your braking effectiveness comes from the front calipers.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 pm

jeckyll wrote:
mikeylacroix wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 am
jeckyll wrote:<<snip>>

I know some folks that went and found it really valuable. :cheers:
Have they done the CSS?
How would they compare css vs ycrs?

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Erratic101 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm

I see you quoted me but I don’t think there is an argument here. I said 80/20, you said 70/30. Bottom line is the majority of your braking effectiveness comes from the front calipers.
Ya no argument. Guess it was more directed towards marjak and Carlos

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:52 pm

New bar end mirrors as the I could only see my shoulders with the ones that came with the bike.

Also removed the neon green stripe (makes the bike look shorter in my opinion) and started removing the factory stickers (PITA).

ImageImageImageImage

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:41 am

That looks a lot better.

Check out 'double take side mirrors'