Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Joeprez » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Seppia wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:19 am
Joeprez wrote:Image
The 1000 version (CB1000R) of that one is spectacular.
I also like the more vintage ones (CB1100EX)
This is nice: 2017 CB1100EX

And the CB1000R:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Joeprez » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:26 pm

mikeylacroix wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:57 am
If u like a bit of modding/tuning...the xsr is the way to go.
I had the Mt09 tracer.. slightly bigger brother of the mt07(xsr)
It's a ton of fun
As per Instagram, you're correct! :lol:

I've seen a lot of really cool modded XSR's:

And a CB650 here and there:

CoachH

Post by CoachH » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm

If you are looking at naked bikes, the Yamaha mt09 is the way to https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper ... lsrc=aw.ds

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 am

Badass bike, will definitely check it out when all this is over.

Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 am

I've just read down through this thread, it's very interesting as I'm also thinking about getting a bike.

I've seen you guys reccomend all sorts mainly Japanese or European bikes, but very few American bikes. I dont remember seeing any suggestions for Indians.

I presume they are not really starter bikes? Or is there some other reason?

Regards Graeme

Image Image

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 am

Graeme wrote:I've just read down through this thread, it's very interesting as I'm also thinking about getting a bike.

I've seen you guys reccomend all sorts mainly Japanese or European bikes, but very few American bikes. I dont remember seeing any suggestions for Indians.

Regards Graeme
Sat on a few. Great touring bike.
Bit of a thumper if I may say.
Good looks.
The ftr750 is handsome.

Joe wanted something more fun he did say.
Indian-Motorcycle-Scout-FTR750-Limited-Ediition.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:39 am

Graeme wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 am
I've just read down through this thread, it's very interesting as I'm also thinking about getting a bike.

Regards Graeme
The Indian Brand is like one of those resurrected watch brands brought back for name recognition. The Indian brand is owned by Polaris now.

They may be a good bike (I’ve never ridden one), but H-D has a more legitimate, continuous, brand history if that is your thing, plus absolutely tons of after-market support.

Any 45° angle V-twin is going to shake a lot due to being out of primary balance. Ironically, a 90° V-twin, such as found in a Ducati, is very smooth due to being naturally in primary balance.

Speaking in very broad strokes, Asian bikes are typically fairly bulletproof. They make for great starter bikes due to being very tolerant of neglect and heavy handed use.

European bikes tend to be more stylish and technologically interesting, but require more maintenance and are less tolerant of novice use.

American V-twin bikes are very stylish, but can feel almost agricultural in use.

Living where you do (and having recently driven all around Ireland for a wedding), I’d want a light weight, nimble bike that could handle almost anything.

A Triumph Scrambler would be on my list.
38BCB5D3-2A52-4A8C-92E2-548882DC39F3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Graeme wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 am

Regards Graeme
The Indian Brand is like one of those resurrected watch brands brought back for name recognition. The Indian brand is owned by Polaris now.

They may be a good bike (I’ve never ridden one), but H-D has a more legitimate, continuous, brand history if that is your thing, plus absolutely tons of after-market support.

Any 45° angle V-twin is going to shake a lot due to being out of primary balance. Ironically, a 90° V-twin, such as found in a Ducati, is very smooth due to being naturally in primary balance.

Speaking in very broad strokes, Asian bikes are typically fairly bulletproof. They make for great starter bikes due to being very tolerant of neglect and heavy handed use.

European bikes tend to be more stylish and technologically interesting, but require more maintenance and are less tolerant of novice use.

American V-twin bikes are very stylish, but can feel almost agricultural in use.

Living where you do (and having recently driven all around Ireland for a wedding), I’d want a light weight, nimble bike that could handle almost anything.

A Triumph Scrambler would be on my list.
38BCB5D3-2A52-4A8C-92E2-548882DC39F3.jpeg
Thanks for that, it was very interesting and I think you've hit the nail squarely.

Regards Graeme

Image Image

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Bought a 2013 KLR650 from a hangar neighbor a week ago. Only has 4200 miles, is completely modified out, has custom built boxes, a/c power & USB port, etc. and ready to do the TransAmerica trail if I wanted. It needed a brake fluid service and oil changes, so $200 for that. Got the bike for only $3700 (right!??!?), and total into the bike is under $4k, and then a $250 adventure helmet to match. I’m pretty stoked to be riding again.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Fantastic deal.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Are those...velvet seats?? Pimpin

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Hard to beat a KLR for value. I've had 2 and gor close to 100000 km on them.

Swiss army knife of motorcycling, not great at anything, but can do pretty much anything.

Nice pick-up!
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 pm

mikeylacroix wrote:Are those...velvet seats?? Pimpin
Previous owner had a custom seat made. Comfortable as hell, and he had more in mods than I paid for the bike!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 am

Probably some type of Alcantara or similar synthetic suede.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:55 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Probably some type of Alcantara or similar synthetic suede.
O ya duh. My race seat was synthetic suede..the neighborhood cat loved it

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:40 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Bought a 2013 KLR650 from a hangar neighbor a week ago. Only has 4200 miles, is completely modified out, has custom built boxes, a/c power & USB port, etc. and ready to do the TransAmerica trail if I wanted. It needed a brake fluid service and oil changes, so $200 for that. Got the bike for only $3700 (right!??!?), and total into the bike is under $4k, and then a $250 adventure helmet to match. I’m pretty stoked to be riding again.

Super nice and great deal!

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu May 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Looks good.

Keep the shiny side up! :cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Seppia wrote:First ride today
AFADD338-2001-46B4-A969-3312C0FE1400.jpeg
92D00607-8634-4128-BCFD-368A36F516E8.jpeg
3899DEE8-F8BF-4F17-9945-84FBBAA388A2.jpeg
Man those things are fast.
At 8000 rpm in third gear I was around 90mph
Is that a 929?

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Man I like it Andrea! Still within plans to get a bike this year, but no reason to do it now with the local lockdown. Plus, my Tacoma has not seen any dirt. That needs fixing.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu May 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Seppia wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:00 pm
Erratic101 wrote:
Seppia wrote:First ride today

AFADD338-2001-46B4-A969-3312C0FE1400.jpeg

92D00607-8634-4128-BCFD-368A36F516E8.jpeg

3899DEE8-F8BF-4F17-9945-84FBBAA388A2.jpeg

Man those things are fast.
At 8000 rpm in third gear I was around 90mph
Is that a 929?
It's a late (2006) 919, in Europe it was called hornet 900.
The engine is a de tuned CBR900RR engine with more torque at the lows, less peak horsepower.

Here in Italy the 600 version was the most successful bike of the late 90s-early 2000s, but I've always preferred the 900 because

- two exhausts vs one
- fuel injection vs carburetors
- more torque at the lows

Wiki says it was expensive in the USA because it was made in Italy (no shit, we were the main market for nakeds at the time).

I love the looks because it's the right mix between sporty and classic (when I was a kid my dad had a yellow CB400 four)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900F
If it's like my buddies 954, it'll be deceptively fast. I remember I borrowed his bike and was passing some folks (required a bit of a hurry up) and looked down an was doing 205 km/h. So I slowed down for the next pass... it only showed 201 km/h, so, much better ;)

My ZX9R would snarl like a freaking beast over 180, but the Honda 954 was deceptively sedate. Though it could be twitchy with the short wheel base if the suspension isn't set right. Not sure if your 919 shares that characteristic.

:headbang:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 am

Had a lot of fun re-reading this thread, once again, thanks for the recommendations!

TL;DR, I bought a bike.

But first off:
mikeylacroix wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Well I crashed.
How are you doing Mike, how's the shoulder?
SoCal C4S wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Bought a 2013 KLR650 from a hangar neighbor a week ago.
Seppia wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:14 pm
I think I’ve just bought this on a whim.
RJ, Andrea, how are them bikes doing?

So, last time I posted I said that I was putting plans on hold due to the COVID-19 lockdown plus the fact that I had bought a Tacoma and wanted to do some stuff to it. Well, last month I said "fuck it", I'm getting a new bike and again went to the dealerships looking for a Yamaha XSR 700, Triumph Scrambler, Honda CB650R or a Husqvarna Svartpilen and a funny thing happened.... there are almost zero bikes on stock in Puerto Rico! On top of that, prices has gone up since I checked back in March.... which at first I thought that it didn't make any sense on a slow economy (again, due to the lockdown). I started talking with the salespersons and they all told the same story: lots of people have been receiving unemployment / CARES Act checks and have been buying motorcycles, jet skis, quads, etc. I also check with several friends on the US, same thing in some parts over there :lol:

So, I was now, money in hand, with no bike to purchase. Then two weeks ago I received a call from a friend, he had bought a Svartpilen 401 on January 2020, rode it for 1,000 miles and then decided to sell it as he needed the money for his boat. Bike its new, even have the dealer stickers. He added LED blinkers which look great, iphone mount with charger and new clutch and front brake levers (in gold, not a fan, but whatever... I like that they are adjustable). These bikes are selling used here for around $6,700 and new for $7,900 and I got mine for $5,000. Happy with the deal, used and modern (2019) bike to learn with, all is great :fro:

Rode for about half an hour the day I picked it up, will ride again with a friend this Sunday. Already have all my safety gear (full face helmet, riding jeans with armor, mesh jacket with armor, gloves... just waiting for riding boots, but will wear a pair of over-the-ankle leather boots I have). Looking for courses here, and if there aren't any, I already have seen several youtube videos of drills to practice in an empty parking lot (emergency braking, low speed u-turns, etc). Also been practicing counter steer and getting familiar with the rear brake. I've been riding mountain bikes for years and my instinct is to always break with the right hand.

Now for the pics:

:cheers:

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:40 am

I got rid of the KLR650. It just wasn’t “enough” bike for me. I’ve been riding for a long time, and need a 1000CC bike- MORE POWERRRR!!! Lol

I’ll probably get an Africa Twin or BMW later this year or early next year, and will plan a weeklong trip a few times a year.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:42 am

Very nice! Those Africa Twins look the business.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 am

Funny but I always had more fun with smaller bikes... larger ones might have too much power to use in normal condition. Unless one goes to a track of course... but that Husquarna looks very sweet Joe, I read it is a hoot to ride. Congratulations , have fun :grin: and ride safely. :thumbsup: