What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17617
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:55 am

Cares from that era was just awesome. Even something mundane like a Prelude had an awesome shifter, seats, driving position, etc. They weren't fast, but they were fun. Now cars a fast, but not fun.

User avatar
goaliechris
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 pm
Name: Chris

Re: What do you drive???

Post by goaliechris » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:39 am

JP Chestnut wrote:Cares from that era was just awesome. Even something mundane like a Prelude had an awesome shifter, seats, driving position, etc. They weren't fast, but they were fun. Now cars a fast, but not fun.
Thanks!

This exactly. It feels quick and fun like a go-cart but it is slow by today’s standards - it just doesn’t feel like it. I had a 2018 M3 and it was stupid quick and fast. But it wasn’t that fun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17617
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:51 am

goaliechris wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:39 am
JP Chestnut wrote:Cares from that era was just awesome. Even something mundane like a Prelude had an awesome shifter, seats, driving position, etc. They weren't fast, but they were fun. Now cars a fast, but not fun.
Thanks!

This exactly. It feels quick and fun like a go-cart but it is slow by today’s standards - it just doesn’t feel like it. I had a 2018 M3 and it was stupid quick and fast. But it wasn’t that fun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reading what I wrote makes it look like I was drunk. Autocorrect isn’t kind to me.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 37092
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy

What do you drive???

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am

jswing wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:21 am
jswing wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:32 pm
djh1201 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 pm
djh1201 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:32 pm
My two - which are killing the watch hobby right now due to maintenance and repairs...

Image
E46 might be my favorite three series. Cars do make watches look like an affordable hobby.
Yes, love my M3, though I'm a serial car flipper (or at least used to be), but don't see anything replacing it anytime soon.
Nothing even like it any more, unless you count the new 4 series convertible, which looks awful IMO. I just got one of the last 2 series convertibles before they were discontinued, and supposedly there won't be a convertible version in the new generation. I'd definitely hold onto that, but as a former serial car flipper I know how it goes.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
New 2 series is made in Mexico. That's a mexi-no for me.
Me too. I believe that's true for 2022, but my 2021 was built in Germany.
Yeah, I agree.

I picked up a 2019 GLI that was also built in Mexico. Piece. Of. Shit. Spent more than half of our four months together in the shop. I’ll never by another MIM vehicle.



Edit: somehow my “me too” was autocorrected to “not so” Image
Last edited by hoppyjr on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
djh1201
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Name: David H.
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: What do you drive???

Post by djh1201 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:38 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:39 am
JP Chestnut wrote:Cares from that era was just awesome. Even something mundane like a Prelude had an awesome shifter, seats, driving position, etc. They weren't fast, but they were fun. Now cars a fast, but not fun.
Thanks!

This exactly. It feels quick and fun like a go-cart but it is slow by today’s standards - it just doesn’t feel like it. I had a 2018 M3 and it was stupid quick and fast. But it wasn’t that fun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great car! Why I keep my E46 M3. Fuel economy standards have basically ruined sports cars...

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 6514
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by dnslater » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 am
I love this thing. Simple, light, and just a blast to drive. Picked it up this weekend and couldn’t be happier. Forgot how low and tiny it is.

Image
Image
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fantastic. When I graduated from college in the late 90's I bought myself a new Integra GS-R. Amazing that 160 hp was considered fun back then, but it was a blast to take through the gears and rev past 8k on shifts... and made good sounds for an inline 4. Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: What do you drive???

Post by bedlam » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 6514
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by dnslater » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:47 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
Yep, in College I drove an 85' Civic Si. My current BMW has 3x the HP but isn't half as much fun. Safer though for sure.

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 2838
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: What do you drive???

Post by Selym » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:58 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds.
I agree. Even my somewhat pedestrian G37 has enough power on tap where it's hard to let it stretch it legs without getting into trouble.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 9522
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Southern CA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:37 am

Selym wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:58 am
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds.
I agree. Even my somewhat pedestrian G37 has enough power on tap where it's hard to let it stretch it legs without getting into trouble.
Yep. Many cars these days are still building steam as the speedo passes 70. Then someone wants you to pull over and talk.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 47152
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: What do you drive???

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 pm

bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
the 2 best driving cars I ever owned was a 84' GTI and Dodge GLHS. super fun rides.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 47152
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: What do you drive???

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:39 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 am
I love this thing. Simple, light, and just a blast to drive. Picked it up this weekend and couldn’t be happier. Forgot how low and tiny it is.

Image
Image
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
super cool Chris! congrats on it. now don't go modding it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by toxicavenger on Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 37092
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy

Re: What do you drive???

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
the 2 best driving cars I ever owned was a 84' GTI and Dodge GLHS. super fun rides.
I’d love to have either one right now.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 47152
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: What do you drive???

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:39 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
the 2 best driving cars I ever owned was a 84' GTI and Dodge GLHS. super fun rides.
I’d love to have either one right now.
i have a guy in hood that has owned his GTI since it had 17 miles on it in 84'. But i can't get him to let it go, yet :whistle:

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 9522
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Southern CA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:04 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 pm
bedlam wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm
dnslater wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Great thing about those cars is that you could wind them out and have fun at legal speeds. Now everything is heavy with stupid amounts of HP/Torque and grip.
Yes. It's a mistake to chase big numbers and end up with a car that only really feels like it performs once you are doing stuff that will kill you if you get anything wrong.

The most driving fun I've had was in small hot hatches. They didn't have the huge numbers but were just a riot to drive for even the average person.
the 2 best driving cars I ever owned was a 84' GTI and Dodge GLHS. super fun rides.
One of my uncles owned a GLHS. Very fun car.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 4829
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: What do you drive???

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 am

Just traded in my old Tacoma on..... another Tacoma. I know variety is the spice of life, but the Tacoma just fits the bill for what I need. It is a TRD Off Road Black-Out edition.
32489451-80CD-49CA-B331-411ABC20CB41.jpeg
Delivered Wednesday and I’ve already added:
- Bed Mat (keeps surfboards from getting scuffed and crap in the bed from sliding around
- Bed Extender (long boards in a short bed are a bit precarious without the extender)
- Tonneau cover - LOMAX 3 panel flip style to keep the bed reasonably secure
- OEM auto lock for the tailgate lock (ties the tailgate lock to the passenger door lock so it can be locked and unlocked using the key fob)
- Front bash plate

Still on the to-be-added list are:
- Wet Okole seat covers (expensive, but waterproof neoprene works well to keep the seats clean with my family of beach creatures)
- Fluid Film the crap out of the undercarriage (will be done before the fall and annually thereafter)

What’s the collective opinion on ceramic paint coating? I’ve never done it before, but I know Toyota paint is typically soft. Just wondering if it is worth the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17617
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am

^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 4829
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: What do you drive???

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am
^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17617
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am
^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.
Check out this combo:
https://detailingconnect.com/products/c ... eGEALw_wcB

It requires reapplication but not too frequently.

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 5210
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: What do you drive???

Post by smalls » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Well, just drove 4 hours to pick up this guy. With the chip shortage it’s the closest one I could find that wasn’t already sold. Traded my 4 year old f-150 and they gave me more on trade then I paid new! Crazy times.

This one has the newer inline 6 duramax 3.0L diesel. So far so good and the gas mileage has been great. Averaging 27mpg!

Image

Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 47152
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: What do you drive???

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am
^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.
you need to do paint correction before investing in ceramic coating. my brother got a 2 year warranty on his ceramic coating.

personally i use a good coat of collinte's every year and it works fantastic. https://www.collinite.com/product/no-47 ... oublecoat/

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 47152
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: What do you drive???

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:26 pm

smalls wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:14 pm
Well, just drove 4 hours to pick up this guy. With the chip shortage it’s the closest one I could find that wasn’t already sold. Traded my 4 year old f-150 and they gave me more on trade then I paid new! Crazy times.

This one has the newer inline 6 duramax 3.0L diesel. So far so good and the gas mileage has been great. Averaging 27mpg!

Image

Image
stunner! and great mpg :thumbsup:

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 2838
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: What do you drive???

Post by Selym » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am
^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.
Avalon King is supposed to be pretty forgiving.

You really can't beat a Toyota. Congratulations!

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 17617
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: What do you drive???

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:34 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:16 am
^^^ ceramic can be worth it, or it can be a total pain in the ass. It depends on how you prep the paint, what coating you use, and how you maintain it.
Doing a little research on the topic suggests you are dead on correct on this point. There are some horror stories out there regarding improper ceramic applications needing to have a body shop correct.

I’m now thinking it’s better for me to simply do what I’ve always done to clean the truck. It a truck, not a show car.
Avalon King is supposed to be pretty forgiving.

You really can't beat a Toyota. Congratulations!
You don't really want forgiving. You want effective. 95% of the effort of applying a ceramic is in the paint prep and taping of trim. If you're going to spend 20+ hours doing that, it better last many many many years with only minimal maintenance.

User avatar
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 am
Name: Jeff
Location: NJ

Re: What do you drive???

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:54 pm

smalls wrote:Well, just drove 4 hours to pick up this guy. With the chip shortage it’s the closest one I could find that wasn’t already sold. Traded my 4 year old f-150 and they gave me more on trade then I paid new! Crazy times.

This one has the newer inline 6 duramax 3.0L diesel. So far so good and the gas mileage has been great. Averaging 27mpg!

Image

Image
Very nice, love the Sierra. That's crazy that you got more than you paid for your trade.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests