What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: What do you drive???

Post by ezcheese » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:33 am

Anybody looking at getting a new GR Corolla? Looks like you could have some fun in that little guy. :bananastoner:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:45 pm

Going on 5 years now!
Stephen

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

What do you drive???

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:31 pm

I’ve had a long time lust for an old Land Cruiser, but gave up hope.

I was able to score its spiritual successor in the 2022 4Runner Off Road Premium. Fully loaded and came to me with a 3/2 lift, BFG K02’s, and TRD Pro wheels. I am in love.

Last edited by hoppyjr on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:14 am

hoppyjr wrote:I’ve had a long time lust for an old Land Cruiser, but gave up hope.

I was able to score its spiritual successor in the 2022 4Runner Off Road Premium. Fully loaded and came to me with a 3/2 lift, BFG K02’s, and TRX Pro wheels. I am in love.

That looks great! Love the 4Runner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:34 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:31 pm

I was able to score its spiritual successor in the 2022 4Runner Off Road Premium. Fully loaded and came to me with a 3/2 lift, BFG K02’s, and TRX Pro wheels. I am in love.

Nice!

Now go buy yourself some catalytic converter shields. If the 4R is like my Tacoma, the secondary cats are fairly exposed and easy targets for theft (especially given the ground clearance of the 4R).

The kits for the Tacoma run about $200 and are available in aluminum or stainless. They use factory mounting points, so they just bolt on (using security hardware). I’m guessing the 4R kits are similar.

While you are under there, spray the heck out of the frame with Fluid Film or your favorite brand of cosmoline. Really hose down the internal boxed areas of the frame, especially near the cats. Living in northern New England and on the seacoast, between the salt air and the salted roads, I oil spray my frame every fall.

The areas Toyota trucks seem to suffer are paint thickness and rust resistance. There isn’t much to be done about the paint (maybe ceramic coat it) but the annual frame spray does help keep the rust at bay.
Toyota trucks are worse than watches. I can help you spend your money in a heartbeat!

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:15 am

Can you post a link for the converter kit?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:21 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:15 am
Can you post a link for the converter kit?
The one I purchased was by Talon Garage out of TX https://www.talonsgarage.com/product-pa ... ota-tacoma

It is a bit more expensive at $345, but it is 1/4 aluminum (same as the TRD Pro skid plate) and the fitment is perfect. Plus, they are a veteran-owned small business, so someone worth supporting if you can.

The other one people seem to like is Miller Cat https://catshield.com/products/millerca ... d%E2%84%A2

This one is bit less expensive (but if you opt for 304 stainless they get a bit more pricey) From what I have heard, the Miller product is a bit more "sheet metal" than "plate" like the Talon, but it is reportedly strong enough for the job and good quality.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. Even the most expensive option is probably less than your insurance deductible, not to mention the PITA it is to even find replacement cat's these days. I've heard of people being without their cars for weeks while waiting on replacements.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:42 am

Thank you, Chris! I’ll look into it, and also shared with my younger “brother” who is a Tacoma guy.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:06 am

Ryeguy wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Nice!

Now go buy yourself some catalytic converter shields. If the 4R is like my Tacoma, the secondary cats are fairly exposed and easy targets for theft (especially given the ground clearance of the 4R).

The kits for the Tacoma run about $200 and are available in aluminum or stainless. They use factory mounting points, so they just bolt on (using security hardware). I’m guessing the 4R kits are similar.

While you are under there, spray the heck out of the frame with Fluid Film or your favorite brand of cosmoline. Really hose down the internal boxed areas of the frame, especially near the cats. Living in northern New England and on the seacoast, between the salt air and the salted roads, I oil spray my frame every fall.

The areas Toyota trucks seem to suffer are paint thickness and rust resistance. There isn’t much to be done about the paint (maybe ceramic coat it) but the annual frame spray does help keep the rust at bay.
Toyota trucks are worse than watches. I can help you spend your money in a heartbeat!
Thanks. No salt where I live in the PNW, but good stuff to keep in mind. I watched a video that indicated the paint thickness is still good on 4R since it’s still built in Japan. We shall see.

I plan full skid plates which will also cover the cat.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 am

your garage looks like a gingerbread house :lol:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:36 am

jtbenson wrote:your garage looks like a gingerbread house :lol:
….and there are yummy treats in the oven, step inside….

It’s actually a place I rent near my girls house. Gets used as more of an office and our weekend retreat lol. Landlord built it himself. Lovely place.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 am

I drive this on the nights and weekends…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:50 am

hoppyjr wrote:I’ve had a long time lust for an old Land Cruiser, but gave up hope.

I was able to score its spiritual successor in the 2022 4Runner Off Road Premium. Fully loaded and came to me with a 3/2 lift, BFG K02’s, and TRD Pro wheels. I am in love.

Congrats!! Looks great Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:44 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

Badass, love the 4 runner. I feel like I see more modded 4 runners than stock ones around here.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:41 pm

Thanks guys. Got the front bumper mod done today, they call it a “viper cut” to clear the oversized tires. Looks more aggressive too.

Next up: Full skids, more lighting mods, the black under bumper trim and heritage grille from the TRD Pro.

I’m loving it.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:48 pm

jtbenson wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 am
your garage looks like a gingerbread house :lol:
I want one
The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:30 am

Seppia wrote:Great stuff Ed. Did you sell the Telluride or are you keeping both?
Traded.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:11 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Seppia wrote:Great stuff Ed. Did you sell the Telluride or are you keeping both?
Traded.

Dr. Seuss

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:26 am

Wario406 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Traded.

Telluride is a wonderful car, but I wanted the modern incarnation of the old school Land Cruiser.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:02 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Traded.

Telluride is a wonderful car, but I wanted the modern incarnation of the old school Land Cruiser.
I get that - I was just busting your chops on the trade ;-)

Dr. Seuss

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:11 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:41 pm
Thanks guys. Got the front bumper mod done today, they call it a “viper cut” to clear the oversized tires. Looks more aggressive too.

Next up: Full skids, more lighting mods, the black under bumper trim and heritage grille from the TRD Pro.

I’m loving it.

Here's a question I always have for people who heavily mod their 4wd Toyotas, why didn't you just buy a TRD Pro?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads

Post by JDC222 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:13 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:13 am
Got rid of the 911 a decade ago, got into Toyotas, owned (3) 4Runners and an old Land Cruiser, and am on my 2nd (and hopefully final) Tacoma.

I have the same TRD Off Road in Cement Grey...I love the TRD Off Road 4Runners but I think I'd miss the pickup .... :thumbsup:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:14 am

Wario406 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 am
I drive this on the nights and weekends…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sick! :headbang:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:21 am

I’ve been driving the ‘60 all summer,
so much fun!

Winston Churchill.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:19 pm

ezcheese wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:41 pm

I’m loving it.

Here's a question I always have for people who heavily mod their 4wd Toyotas, why didn't you just buy a TRD Pro?
Where I live the used Pro sells for $65k or more.

I bought this one with oversized BFG’s & lift already done.

My mods will largely be the same things I’d do to the TRD Pro; lighting, accessories, full skids, etc.