What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Re: What do you drive???

Post by SoCal C4S » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:29 am

The Outback is my wife’s, our first but we know at least 20 people who own one and all share favorable opinions. It has been great for us.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

What do you drive???

Post by Chocodove » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:49 am

Quite happy with mine as well :thumbsup:

Then again, I kinda view cars as just a point A to point B thing that need to be good in the mountains. :shrug:
- Todd

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:40 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Check out the Mazda CX-5. The interior is really nice.
We have a CX-9. We really like it, and Mazda’s service has been great so far.
:htfu:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:09 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:40 pm
If I was looking for an SUV it would be between Mazda and Acura...that VW Atlas Cross sport looks good, too.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:18 pm

I liked my little brother's Tesla. But there were definitely somethings I did not like. Fit and finish is one of them. Do not get white seats, you can see every needle/misthread on them. The batteries discharging (I assume this was the sound) every few hour or so was loud and unnerving. It sounded like we ran over something every time. In freezing ran the the door handles all froze shut and so did the charging port. The lower part of the front bumper (yes the part you hit shit with) has coolant lines in them. We hit a racoon and it had a radiator leak (yes it has a radiator). Pretty freaking weird. It took 2 months to get it fixed. It is a new Model Y.

YMMV

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:18 pm
I liked my little brother's Tesla. But there were definitely somethings I did not like. Fit and finish is one of them. Do not get white seats, you can see every needle/misthread on them. The batteries discharging (I assume this was the sound) every few hour or so was loud and unnerving. It sounded like we ran over something every time. In freezing ran the the door handles all froze shut and so did the charging port. The lower part of the front bumper (yes the part you hit shit with) has coolant lines in them. We hit a racoon and it had a radiator leak (yes it has a radiator). Pretty freaking weird. It took 2 months to get it fixed. It is a new Model Y.

YMMV
Great feedback, Terry. Thank you. Our Acuras are 12 years old. My wife would just get another RDX if we were forced to replace. I'm not sure what i would get. 23 mile each way easy commute isn't very far. I saw an old Mini yesterday morning that caught my eye. Yellow with oversized tires. Maybe late 60's early 70's.
The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:41 pm

jimyritz wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
If I was looking for an SUV it would be between Mazda and Acura...that VW Atlas Cross sport looks good, too.
I owned a 2019 GLI from Jan-April 2020. It spent half the time in the shop.
I won’t own another VW unless it’s made in Germany.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:45 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:00 pm
toxicavenger wrote:

YMMV
Great feedback, Terry. Thank you. Our Acuras are 12 years old. My wife would just get another RDX if we were forced to replace. I'm not sure what i would get. 23 mile each way easy commute isn't very far. I saw an old Mini yesterday morning that caught my eye. Yellow with oversized tires. Maybe late 60's early 70's.
this is what the car looked with the damage. we were a little dumbfounded when a message popped up saying "low on antifreeze". we were both like wtf

in this one pic of a selfie with my bro and I you can see the stitching. it is almost like the stitched it twice.

i think my little brother said after our 1300 mile trip the car used as much electricity as a car that gets 27 mpg. :scratch: not what we expected.

it was a comfortable ride though. and the heater in it keep the cabin temp perfect. the auto-pilot worked great in the middle lane, but on the far right lane it tried to follow the exit and then auto-corrects when it picks up the road lines again. that will make your ass pucker like no tomorrow.

12 year old Acura. sounds pretty young. if you don't have maintenance issues i keep driving it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:34 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:45 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

YMMV
this is what the car looked with the damage. we were a little dumbfounded when a message popped up saying "low on antifreeze". we were both like wtf

in this one pic of a selfie with my bro and I you can see the stitching. it is almost like the stitched it twice.

i think my little brother said after our 1300 mile trip the car used as much electricity as a car that gets 27 mpg. :scratch: not what we expected.

it was a comfortable ride though. and the heater in it keep the cabin temp perfect. the auto-pilot worked great in the middle lane, but on the far right lane it tried to follow the exit and then auto-corrects when it picks up the road lines again. that will make your ass pucker like no tomorrow.

12 year old Acura. sounds pretty young. if you don't have maintenance issues i keep driving it.
No issues to speak of. It's been mostly just tires and brakes, an alternator, and an AC system in the 12 years. Rubber parts have worn out. I replaced the air intake hose on both. Mostly minor stuff. Will drive them until they won't.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:50 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:34 pm
No issues to speak of. It's been mostly just tires and brakes, an alternator, and an AC system in the 12 years. Rubber parts have worn out. I replaced the air intake hose on both. Mostly minor stuff. Will drive them until they won't.
sounds like a great car. i am trying my best to stick with older cars and getting my moneys worth out of them. it seems most throw them away at 100k. heck i use too. :banghead:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:20 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

YMMV

If one goes Tesla because they dig the tech or because they want the quiet, great. If they think they are saving the planet, they are failing to recognize that electricity must come from somewhere.

You want electric cars? OK, bring back nuclear energy and quit pandering to the eco-nonsense of the day.

To me Tesla is cool but, as a lifetime car guy, it just wouldn’t be satisfying.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm

jimyritz wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
We have a CX-9 too. Couldn’t be happier. Great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:43 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

YMMV

If one goes Tesla because they dig the tech or because they want the quiet, great. If they think they are saving the planet, they are failing to recognize that electricity must come from somewhere.

You want electric cars? OK, bring back nuclear energy and quit pandering to the eco-nonsense of the day.

To me Tesla is cool but, as a lifetime car guy, it just wouldn’t be satisfying.
Not to mention the mining required to get the minerals for the batteries and then the disposal of the batteries. Having said that the few people I know that have one love the acceleration and performance of them.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:59 pm

Captdave wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Not to mention the mining required to get the minerals for the batteries and then the disposal of the batteries. Having said that the few people I know that have one love the acceleration and performance of them.
The mineral/mining part does bother me.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Captdave wrote:

There is a cost to every type of transportation and I don’t believe the eco-warrior types are capable of seeing the long term issues with things like electric cars, wind energy, etc.

The modern combustion engine is extremely clean when compared to those of just a few years ago.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
Captdave wrote:

There is a cost to every type of transportation and I don’t believe the eco-warrior types are capable of seeing the long term issues with things like electric cars, wind energy, etc.

The modern combustion engine is extremely clean when compared to those of just a few years ago.
I don’t think that many people understand what’s needed to manufacture batteries.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:14 am

hoppyjr wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Captdave wrote:

Unfortunately their are not many moderate views out there on this subject, everyone takes an extreme view, as with anything else.....

Energy sources by state vary a lot. The U.S. as a whole was down to only 23% coal in 2019 as a percent of total power generation. Renewables are on their way up, but this is mostly attributed to the big switch to natural gas.... still a fossil fuel but much cleaner. As solar becomes cheaper, more and more people are putting them on their homes. Still expensive but prices are coming down rapidly and someday it will be routine to charge your car from your home solar. I know a few people that already do, and I'm in Indiana.

The battery mineral thing is an issue, but of course with propaganda from both sides it is tough to see the nuance in the topic. Disposal is less of an issue as the minerals are valuable and they are recycled. There is a lot of research into alternatives to Lithium in batteries, using things like Sodium.

I'm not ready to give up by gas BMW yet, but it is starting to make more sense for my Wife's commute. Will be interesting to see what the next decade brings.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:25 am

dnslater wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:14 am
hoppyjr wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Captdave wrote:

Unfortunately their are not many moderate views out there on this subject, everyone takes an extreme view, as with anything else.....

Energy sources by state vary a lot. The U.S. as a whole was down to only 23% coal in 2019 as a percent of total power generation. Renewables are on their way up, but this is mostly attributed to the big switch to natural gas.... still a fossil fuel but much cleaner. As solar becomes cheaper, more and more people are putting them on their homes. Still expensive but prices are coming down rapidly and someday it will be routine to charge your car from your home solar. I know a few people that already do, and I'm in Indiana.

The battery mineral thing is an issue, but of course with propaganda from both sides it is tough to see the nuance in the topic. Disposal is less of an issue as the minerals are valuable and they are recycled. There is a lot of research into alternatives to Lithium in batteries, using things like Sodium.

I'm not ready to give up by gas BMW yet, but it is starting to make more sense for my Wife's commute. Will be interesting to see what the next decade brings.
Agree. As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, I’m not opposed to the concept, but tough sell until real infrastructure is in place, long distance is possible without major interruption, and I’d need ground clearance in the mitten.

Owner of my company has a nice Tesla. I definitely dig it.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:11 am

demer03 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:25 am
Agree. As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, I’m not opposed to the concept, but tough sell until real infrastructure is in place, long distance is possible without major interruption, and I’d need ground clearance in the mitten.

I think it would work well for a dual car family like my wife and I. Have my gas car for any long distance travel either of us need to make. Her commute is about 100 miles round trip and it is really appealing to charge in the garage overnight... especially with the features like being able to pre-heat the interior, etc... We probably only make a road trip over 200 miles a couple of times per year. Infrastructure would definitely be an issue if you routinely make 200 mile trips in a day.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 am

dnslater wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:11 am
demer03 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:25 am

I think it would work well for a dual car family like my wife and I. Have my gas car for any long distance travel either of us need to make. Her commute is about 100 miles round trip and it is really appealing to charge in the garage overnight... especially with the features like being able to pre-heat the interior, etc... We probably only make a road trip over 200 miles a couple of times per year. Infrastructure would definitely be an issue if you routinely make 200 mile trips in a day.
My brother has a Porsche for long distance trips and the Tesla is for around town. That is until we drove it from California to Louisiana. He wanted to see how it would do. The charging stations can be tough to find sometimes. And you don't ever fully charge it. It seemed best to keep it from 65-80%.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:59 am

New exhaust on the 996, pick it up tomorrow.

[tweet]https://www.instagram.com/p/CNEVLM2JWVQ/[/tweet]

Hey if one of you great Mods can fix this so you can view the clip it would be much appreciated. Hit post instead of preview before I got it sorted. Thanks J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:15 am

Picked up another Grand Cherokee Ltd for Lisa. Pleased with the ride.

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:57 am

congrats! hard to go wrong with a jgc.
we leased a diesel (my wife's) for three years and i loved that truck.
i had a v6 recently, but traded it in on the lr. it all joy for the year i owned it.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 am

The Rav-4 Hybrid looks nice. Its all wheel drive, but two of the wheels are only powered by electric motors. Looks interesting.

Do you like going camping?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:10 pm

Joeprez wrote:The Rav-4 Hybrid looks nice. Its all wheel drive, but two of the wheels are only powered by electric motors. Looks interesting.

Do you like going camping?

My daughter has one. I’m very impressed with it overall.