What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Re: What do you drive???

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Just traded in my old Tacoma on..... another Tacoma. I know variety is the spice of life, but the Tacoma just fits the bill for what I need. It is a TRD Off Road Black-Out edition.
32489451-80CD-49CA-B331-411ABC20CB41.jpeg
Delivered Wednesday and I’ve already added:
- Bed Mat (keeps surfboards from getting scuffed and crap in the bed from sliding around
- Bed Extender (long boards in a short bed are a bit precarious without the extender)
- Tonneau cover - LOMAX 3 panel flip style to keep the bed reasonably secure
- OEM auto lock for the tailgate lock (ties the tailgate lock to the passenger door lock so it can be locked and unlocked using the key fob)
- Front bash plate

Still on the to-be-added list are:
- Wet Okole seat covers (expensive, but waterproof neoprene works well to keep the seats clean with my family of beach creatures)
- Fluid Film the crap out of the undercarriage (will be done before the fall and annually thereafter)

What’s the collective opinion on ceramic paint coating? I’ve never done it before, but I know Toyota paint is typically soft. Just wondering if it is worth the effort.
Nice Taco. I kind of regret not trying one before buying my Ranger.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:59 pm

jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:58 pm
Ryeguy wrote:Just traded in my old Tacoma on..... another Tacoma. I know variety is the spice of life, but the Tacoma just fits the bill for what I need. It is a TRD Off Road Black-Out edition.

- Bed Mat (keeps surfboards from getting scuffed and crap in the bed from sliding around
- Bed Extender (long boards in a short bed are a bit precarious without the extender)
- OEM auto lock for the tailgate lock (ties the tailgate lock to the passenger door lock so it can be locked and unlocked using the key fob)
- Front bash plate

- Wet Okole seat covers (expensive, but waterproof neoprene works well to keep the seats clean with my family of beach creatures)
- Fluid Film the crap out of the undercarriage (will be done before the fall and annually thereafter)

What’s the collective opinion on ceramic paint coating? I’ve never done it before, but I know Toyota paint is typically soft. Just wondering if it is worth the effort.

Thanks!

I test drove a loaded Ranger before I bought the Taco and was really, really, tempted. They are nice trucks.

The reason I stayed with the Tacoma was mostly due to resale value. I tend to keep vehicles a long time and Tacoma’s hold their value like nothing I’ve ever seen before. My last Taco was 12 years old and I still got $16K in trade in.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:43 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:59 pm
jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:58 pm

- Front bash plate

Thanks!

I test drove a loaded Ranger before I bought the Taco and was really, really, tempted. They are nice trucks.

The reason I stayed with the Tacoma was mostly due to resale value. I tend to keep vehicles a long time and Tacoma’s hold their value like nothing I’ve ever seen before. My last Taco was 12 years old and I still got $16K in trade in.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Ranger, I just regret that I didn't even cross shop the Taco. I bought mine at the height of the pandemic, and even scheduling a test drive was next to impossible. A Ford dealer in Philly actually delivered the Ranger to me during a time that dealerships were technically not allowed to have showrooms open, so that alone (plus I love the truck itself) sold me.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 am

^^^^ Yes, there is a lot to be said for a dealer who is willing to go the extra mile for you.

I’m looking forward to hearing how those Rangers hold up over time. I actually appreciate Ford coming up with the Ranger as it pushes Toyota to improve their offerings. The Tacoma is really ready for an update.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 am
^^^^ Yes, there is a lot to be said for a dealer who is willing to go the extra mile for you.

I’m looking forward to hearing how those Rangers hold up over time. I actually appreciate Ford coming up with the Ranger as it pushes Toyota to improve their offerings. The Tacoma is really ready for an update.
What is the roof load limit on the Taco?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:53 am

bedlam wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 am
Ryeguy wrote:

I think the limit on a roof rack is about 100 lbs. Maybe a bit more if you are using an aftermarket rack instead of the factory roof rails, but they are still only attached to the roof using relatively small bolts to captive nuts welded into the roof sheet metal at the factory.

I had factory roof rails on my last Tacoma and never mounted anything heavier than a surfboard or kayak up there.

A lot of the overland rigs I see around here have roof top tents attached to the bed, usually mounted above a hard shell (such as a Leer shell). I think the bed can support 800 lbs, so plenty strong enough for a tent.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:53 am
bedlam wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 am
Ryeguy wrote:

I think the limit on a roof rack is about 100 lbs. Maybe a bit more if you are using an aftermarket rack instead of the factory roof rails, but they are still only attached to the roof using relatively small bolts to captive nuts welded into the roof sheet metal at the factory.

I had factory roof rails on my last Tacoma and never mounted anything heavier than a surfboard or kayak up there.

A lot of the overland rigs I see around here have roof top tents attached to the bed, usually mounted above a hard shell (such as a Leer shell). I think the bed can support 800 lbs, so plenty strong enough for a tent.
Yeah, ok. I think the Hilux in Oz has a 150 pound limit...so similar.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:09 am

johngrey wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:53 am
Plagiarism in this forum, in my opinion, is more akin to being completely unmotivated at work than academic plagiarism. The majority of bounty hunters regard this as a source of cash and do not wish to put up any effort. Forcing them to read an explanation will not resolve this irreconcilable conflict.
WTF :scratch:

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am

johngrey wrote:Plagiarism in this forum, in my opinion, is more akin to being completely unmotivated at work than academic plagiarism. The majority of bounty hunters regard this as a source of cash and do not wish to put up any effort. Forcing them to read an explanation will not resolve this irreconcilable conflict.
Alright, I think it’s time this one gets the boot.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:53 am

r.palace wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am
johngrey wrote:Plagiarism in this forum, in my opinion, is more akin to being completely unmotivated at work than academic plagiarism. The majority of bounty hunters regard this as a source of cash and do not wish to put up any effort. Forcing them to read an explanation will not resolve this irreconcilable conflict.
Alright, I think it’s time this one gets the boot.
This forum needs to separate from this guy. Anyone know of a good divorce attorney?

Giovanni20

Post by Giovanni20 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:18 am

Ryan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm
Mercedes Benz CLK. 2doors RWD and kinda "big" for a coupe!
Would be best if black :grin:

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am

Giovanni20 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:18 am
Ryan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm
Mercedes Benz CLK. 2doors RWD and kinda "big" for a coupe!
Would be best if black :grin:
You are quoting a post from over 11 years ago? :raised:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 am

raf42 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am

As his/her first post here??? Weird that someone would make an account on a watch forum to post about the color of someone's car from 11 years ago... to each their own....

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 am
raf42 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 am

As his/her first post here??? Weird that someone would make an account on a watch forum to post about the color of someone's car from 11 years ago... to each their own....
I think they're testing AI or some sort of automated hacking techniques.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike the Doxa Ho

Post by demer03 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:40 am

djh1201 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:45 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:34 pm
Crazy, 2 years ago we sold my wife's Saab. A few months ago we had the opportunity to repurchase it. We passed on it. It looks like the current owner (I saw it at a local gas station) is taking great care of it. :crybaby:
Yikes! My wife loves Saabs as well, almost bought her a pristine 9-3 Convertible on BAT a few months ago...
Will say, I did love my 9-3.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:47 am

Just picked this up from West Virginia

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am

Erratic101 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:47 am
Nice! How do you like it so far?

Looks like there's a vintage Acura in the background.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:18 am

Congrats Justyn!

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:34 am

Selym wrote:
Erratic101 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:47 am
Nice! How do you like it so far?

Looks like there's a vintage Acura in the background.
Totally didn’t notice the Acura.

So far she’s been great. Carb needs a little tuning for my altitude. Just turned the idle up a bit until I can re-jet.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:35 am

hoppyjr wrote:Congrats Justyn!
Thanks!

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:16 pm

Nice... :thumbsup: Be prepared for all the looks and conversation from total strangers.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:57 pm

BlueSky wrote:Nice... :thumbsup: Be prepared for all the looks and conversation from total strangers.
Yup! I’ve already been either photo’d or video’d about 5-6 times in the few short drives. Those are the ones I actually saw doing it. Lol. That’s cool though. It’s fun to see people’s expressions as I’m riding this go-kart down the highway Image

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Very cool, Justyn - congrats. Dig that color combo.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:49 pm

Great to see it home
Will you dress up when driving it
Driving gloves goggles cheese cutter hat?

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:49 pm

Great to see it home
Will you dress up when driving it
Driving gloves goggles cheese cutter hat?