WTF R U Roasting/Brewing coffee nerds

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
nweash
Name: Nick

WTF R U Roasting/Brewing coffee nerds

Post by nweash » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:45 pm

I started roasting my own coffee last October. Fairly comfortable with most types of coffee after about 50 or so roasts.

I thought I’d try this experimental Columbian. They use a process called carbonic maceration(hehe)

From the few sentences I read, it’s a process they use in making some wines.

Well let me tell you it makes one hell of an interesting cup. It also roasts unlike any other coffee.

I personally don’t like it but I have a fresh pound of it lying around I’d be willing to roast for anyone curious.

I’ll ship it anywhere CONUS for free to try.

I can do 1/4lb up to 1lb depending on interest. It loses about 15% weight after it’s roasted.

First 1-4 replies get the batch.

Last edited by nweash on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: Any curious coffee drinkers out there?

Post by Chocodove » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:58 pm

Nice. If I had an alpha coffee set up like many here, would totally try. I’m still a Keurig bro, mostly due to lack of time.
- Todd

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:30 pm

Here

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Image Image

AranaWhite
Name: Cameron

Post by AranaWhite » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:38 pm

Seriously Nick! I'm in. I've kicked around roasting before, but along with a couple other hobbies, they'll never take off if I don't retire, I hope to retire someday. It sounds very interesting. I wonder how many of these Roasters, which have sprouted everywhere, constantly try different beans.

How many different beans have you roasted so far?

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:41 pm

I’d try a 1/4 lb. I hand grind espresso from whole beans most mornings, because, hipster/snob. ;)

What can I do to facillitate?

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Any curious coffee drinkers out there?

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:50 pm

We’d love to try it! We fresh grind every morning and have a Technovorm coffee maker.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:56 pm

I'll try it if you have any left, but also can wait for the next batch.

I've been playing with pour over drippers and grinder combos lately. Way better to get different flavors than espresso for me.
:htfu:

nweash

Post by nweash » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 pm

Pinged the guys that wanted a sampler sans Matt. Sorry I had already sealed 4 bags before I saw your reply.

@Cameron

I’m making my way through Sweet Maria’s catalogue. I’ve tried probably 15 countries coffee at this point between 50 or so roasts. Many Columbia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Guatemala to name a few.

Guatemala is by far my favorite. It seems to have the best balance between acidity and body for my preference. Really clean to drink. The flavor develops the whole time you’re drinking it. No weird aftertaste at all.

Maybe I’ll buy 5 pounds of it soon and offer everyone a taste.

nweash

Post by nweash » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:21 pm

If anyone cares to see the nerdy side of things. This is how the roast looks on the software.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:53 am

Pretty cool. We have a https://www.mistobox.com/ subscription. gives us a nice variety.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 am

Cool! Learned something new!
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

martyloveswatches
Name: Martin

Post by martyloveswatches » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 am

Sidheguitarist wrote:I’d try a 1/4 lb. I hand grind espresso from whole beans most mornings, because, hipster/snob. ;)

What can I do to facillitate?
Same here. Timemore C3esp handgrinder + napoletan coffee beans (passalaqua or mamma lucia). Therapy Image
Marty

AranaWhite

Post by AranaWhite » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 pm

Has anyone tried an organic they'd recommend?

So far I've only considered one very good, my organic wife picked it up in Jolla at a Parakeet Cafe"

nweash

Post by nweash » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 pm

AranaWhite wrote:Has anyone tried an organic they'd recommend?

So far I've only considered one very good, my organic wife picked it up in Jolla at a Parakeet Cafe"
Next time I order green beans from sweet Maria’s I’ll ping you and see if you want to try a pound of their organic options.

They have tons of info on all the flavor profiles and farm info.

AranaWhite

Post by AranaWhite » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:25 am

nweash wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 pm
AranaWhite wrote:Has anyone tried an organic they'd recommend?

Next time I order green beans from sweet Maria’s I’ll ping you and see if you want to try a pound of their organic options.

They have tons of info on all the flavor profiles and farm info.
Sounds good. I looked her up when you mentioned working through her catalog, what a crazy variety. I'll look into her organic Guatemalan offerings.
Thanks Nick.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:44 am

good info...... love the details on beans and the graphs.

Makes me wonder where JP'nuts is....and how Mr. Chestnut is doing out in the Pacific.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:36 pm

Damn, that is an interesting roast. Opening the bag, I couldn’t quite place the nose (besides coffee, obviously) at first, but then it came to me. There is a distinct smell that’s reminiscent of the inside of a pumpkin when you’re carving up jack-o-lanterns for Halloween. :lol:

Anyways, the roast grinds up great in the hand cranker, nice work there. I use the conical burr equivalent of an ETA 6498 to grind coffee—this roast was right on the money at 51-52 turns to chew up 15g of beans. Shrinkage was on the money, as well, since I typically end up with 14g of grind after churning 15g through the burrs.

Shot pulled ok, decent crema, especially for the unusual hand machine I use (coffeejack) the first time out.

Odd taste at first, but it did grow on me. Nick, I have to say that it had just a *hint of that cat’s ass civet coffee from Indonesia (Kopi Luwak) along with that pumpkin or cantaloupe overtone. :grin:

Very strong, too.

I made the 2x shot into a short Americano (+/- 8oz), and finished the cup. It is different, for sure.

Thanks a ton for sending a few beans my way! Great packaging, too, Nick.

:thumbsup:

#threadisshitwithoutpics

IMG_2570.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg
IMG_2572.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2574.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nweash

Post by nweash » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:Damn, that is an interesting roast. Opening the bag, I couldn’t quite place the nose (besides coffee, obviously) at first, but then it came to me. There is a distinct smell that’s reminiscent of the inside of a pumpkin when you’re carving up jack-o-lanterns for Halloween. :lol:

Anyways, the roast grinds up great in the hand cranker, nice work there. I use the conical burr equivalent of an ETA 6498 to grind coffee—this roast was right on the money at 51-52 turns to chew up 15g of beans. Shrinkage was on the money, as well, since I typically end up with 14g of grind after churning 15g through the burrs.

Shot pulled ok, decent crema, especially for the unusual hand machine I use (coffeejack) the first time out.

Odd taste at first, but it did grow on me. Nick, I have to say that it had just a *hint of that cat’s ass civet coffee from Indonesia (Kopi Luwak) along with that pumpkin or cantaloupe overtone. :grin:

Very strong, too.

I made the 2x shot into a short Americano (+/- 8oz), and finished the cup. It is different, for sure.

#threadisshitwithoutpics

IMG_2570.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg
IMG_2572.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2574.jpeg

Thanks for all the info. Cool to see the process for espresso.

I’ve never tasted Kopi Luwak before so I’ll take your word on that. The pumpkin taste is interesting. if I’m ever brave enough to try anymore I’ll try to pay attention to that.

I felt like it was processed with wine vinegar or something of that nature. That’s where my tastebuds went.

Hope I can send you something more enjoyable in the future. I do have 10 pounds of Guatemalan on order. Image

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:07 am

Holy Juan Valdez, that is fascinating Nick ! :excited: :)

I can imagine it is something special, and makes your average cup
of joe pale in comparison. It sounds amazing just the whole way in
which you are making it too. :o So cool sir, thanks a bunch for such a
neat post !!!

AranaWhite

Post by AranaWhite » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:34 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:36 pm
Damn, that is an interesting roast. Opening the bag, I couldn’t quite place the nose (besides coffee, obviously) at first, but then it came to me. There is a distinct smell that’s reminiscent of the inside of a pumpkin when you’re carving up jack-o-lanterns for Halloween. :lol:

Very strong, too.

#threadisshitwithoutpics

IMG_2570.jpeg

IMG_2571.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

IMG_2573.jpeg

IMG_2574.jpeg
Uber hipster / snob

:fro:

AranaWhite

Post by AranaWhite » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:35 pm

Wow, Nick, these beans have an interesting aroma. Michael's good, but I can't place it, it's exotic and extraordinary. I'm looking forward to this brew!
Thank You!

AranaWhite

Post by AranaWhite » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:41 am

Nick, I drew a shot this morning, that's a unique brew. It tastes just as it smells.

You did a nice job with the roast, it makes a complex cup, good quality, I think your roasting did all that could be done for that strange a brew.

I didn't care for it, I'm glad to have gotten in on the tasting though, it was so different. The taste was almost pungent, the prep process I imagine, but the body, acidity, and coffee jargon stuff were on point; I'm looking forward to drawing it up again Saturday morning for my brother.

nweash

Post by nweash » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 am

AranaWhite wrote:Nick, I drew a shot this morning, that's a unique brew. It tastes just as it smells.

You did a nice job with the roast, it makes a complex cup, good quality, I think your roasting did all that could be done for that strange a brew.

I didn't care for it, I'm glad to have gotten in on the tasting though, it was so different. The taste was almost pungent, the prep process I imagine, but the body, acidity, and coffee jargon stuff were on point; I'm looking forward to drawing it up again Saturday morning for my brother.
I love how we all instinctively are like wow this is kinda gross you gotta try it.

Im hoping to offer a better option after I get through tax season.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:58 pm

nweash wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 am

I love how we all instinctively are like wow this is kinda gross you gotta try it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

AranaWhite

Post by AranaWhite » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

nweash wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 am
AranaWhite wrote:Nick, I drew a shot this morning, that's a unique brew. It tastes just as it smells.

Im hoping to offer a better option after I get through tax season.
Yeah, friends share the gross & interesting; enemies the gross & boring brew.