What is up with watch prices?

Post by Wario406 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:47 am

ezcheese wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:22 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:47 pm
Isn’t my Opalene Monta a toe to toe contender with a white datejust?
In my opinion I say yes. But marketing says no. :mrgreen:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those comparisons are fun but in all honesty, I would take the topper halios collab over a white op. Look at this!
IMG_5367.jpeg
I like the look of the Rolex better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: What is up with watch prices?

Post by demer03 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:10 am

Sorry, but while the Halios may be fun, the level of finishing just in that picture is apples and oranges. Both have their place, but let’s not go full retard :lol:
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:41 am

Rolex is so fucking overrated and overpriced. Gtfoh with all that noise
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:49 am

demer03 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:10 am
Sorry, but while the Halios may be fun, the level of finishing just in that picture is apples and oranges. Both have their place, but let’s not go full retard :lol:
The level of finishing on the backside of the clasp and other weird places on a Rolex is extremely nice. Every part of the watch that touches your body is smooth and totally free of sharp edges. Rolex IS overpriced, but they're operating far out on the quality/price curve and that's always going to be expensive.

Even Grand Seiko isn't cheap anymore.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:52 am

ezcheese wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:41 am
Rolex is so fucking overrated and overpriced. Gtfoh with all that noise
Haha. Ok.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:17 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:42 am
R@cerx wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:44 am
The 114300 will continue to appreciate in value, the Halios will not.
And, based on my experience, I would expect the Rolex to keep time and be water tight without service 20 years from now. Rolex is expensive due to marketing. However, Rolex is also expensive because it's not "Swiss made" with parts from China and the durability is without peer.
I've had the same experience. While I'm shocked lately with Rolex pricing and how the AD's dole them out, I've never been disappointed with what you get in their products.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:19 am

R@cerx wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:17 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:42 am
R@cerx wrote:
And, based on my experience, I would expect the Rolex to keep time and be water tight without service 20 years from now. Rolex is expensive due to marketing. However, Rolex is also expensive because it's not "Swiss made" with parts from China and the durability is without peer.
I've had the same experience. While I'm shocked lately with Rolex pricing and how the AD's dole them out, I've never been disappointed with what you get in their products.
Though, to be fair, it seems like every time they update the run of the mill movements they create issues. The 3035 based movements of various types were absolutely bulletproof.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:42 am

Yeah Rolex quality is insane for what are really watches made to be used and abused, forever. My 15 year old 16600 has never been serviced, and I’m going to see how long I can go before it needs a service. But I’m still not sure how they justify $10K for a ceramic Sub.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Devils advocate here. Let’s take Halios or a Mido etc. $1000 I pay, and being completely hypothetical, let’s say after 5 years it completely craps out and can’t be repaired(which is unlikely considering it could get a movement swap etc), but let’s just go with it. I got 5 years for my $1000. So I buy another. I do this for 20 years, every 5 replacing it. That’s $4,000. Not $10,000 or more for a Sub.
I won’t argue the finishing. I’ve seen a lot of Rolex watches and for someone who does photography, they really are a step above when it comes to finishing.
But I’ve seen people with an Invicta or low end Seiko have a watch for 10 years without a service and the watch is still going strong as well. Just saying. Rolex is a great brand and they make a great watch, but they are priced so high to maintain that luxury status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:07 am

dukerules wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:42 am
Yeah Rolex quality is insane for what are really watches made to be used and abused, forever. My 15 year old 16600 has never been serviced, and I’m going to see how long I can go before it needs a service. But I’m still not sure how they justify $10K for a ceramic Sub.
Yes. The ceramics are clearly nice but I'm not sure they have the longevity and ease of use of the older models. An old Sub had a $75 insert that you could change at home with a butter knife.

I think that the perfect Rolex would be a 16610LV with a retrofitted modern bracelet. If that's not possible, then just a modern clasp would go a long way.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:11 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Devils advocate here. Let’s take Halios or a Mido etc. $1000 I pay, and being completely hypothetical, let’s say after 5 years it completely craps out and can’t be repaired(which is unlikely considering it could get a movement swap etc), but let’s just go with it. I got 5 years for my $1000. So I buy another. I do this for 20 years, every 5 replacing it. That’s $4,000. Not $10,000 or more for a Sub.
I won’t argue the finishing. I’ve seen a lot of Rolex watches and for someone who does photography, they really are a step above when it comes to finishing.
But I’ve seen people with an Invicta or low end Seiko have a watch for 10 years without a service and the watch is still going strong as well. Just saying. Rolex is a great brand and they make a great watch, but they are priced so high to maintain that luxury status.

There are tons of valid points of view on this. However, my GMT2 cost $3500 in 2005, hasn't been serviced, and is now worth three times that amount.

I don't think a modern Rolex is any sort of high value proposition, but they're a very nice watch. All of this is moot though. The first Rolex AD that I bought from is now closed. The second Rolex AD that I bought from is now closed. Every single Rolex AD between NYC and Albany is closed. Not only would no Rolex AD sell me a watch due to my lack of "relationship" (even though I've been buying Rolex since 2005), there isn't even a Rolex AD within 300 miles of me to not sell me a watch!

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:24 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:19 am

The 3035 based movements of various types were absolutely bulletproof.
It's annoying they seemingly messed up the 32xx. I wish my 124060 had the old 3130.
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:24 am
JP Chestnut wrote:

It's annoying they seemingly messed up the 32xx. I wish my 124060 had the old 3130.
I can't recall, have you owned one of the square cased Subs? If so, I know you have a fairly small wrist, how did that wear in comparison to your 41mm Sub?

I'd really like a blue Sub (either TT or YG) and hunting down a five digit that's worth adding to my collection seems like a giant PITA, so I'm thinking about the more modern ones. Maybe I'll start saving up after I'm no longer paying my divorce attorney so much money.

charger02
Name: Zach

Post by charger02 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am

tattoo chef wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
R@cerx wrote:

I like this post. You would have spent 4k over 20 years and what would be the value of those watches? My guess is they would be worthless. Trash. And there is a lot of data on ebay to back up the value of an old watch from an unknown manufacturer. Now how much is that Rolex worth 20 years later?

A lot of Rolex hate and I understand it but you can't deny they hold their value pretty well. Halios? Not so much.

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:36 am

This is mainly why I have become such a Tudor freak, I really love a lot of their watches and the prices are fairly reasonable new and quite a bargain used. I already have the new no-date Sub. I would still love to get probably 3 Rolex models in the future (Explorer II Polar, GMTII Pepsi, Blue OP 41 can’t afford Daytona) but I’m not sure it will be worth it for me unless I can get them from an AD or at MSRP. For now I am really trying to just enjoy what I have.
Regards,

Mark

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:39 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 am
Chocodove wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I can't recall, have you owned one of the square cased Subs? If so, I know you have a fairly small wrist, how did that wear in comparison to your 41mm Sub?

I'd really like a blue Sub (either TT or YG) and hunting down a five digit that's worth adding to my collection seems like a giant PITA, so I'm thinking about the more modern ones. Maybe I'll start saving up after I'm not longer paying my divorce attorney so much money.
I have owned several of the 11 series Subs, a ceramic SD, and now have the 124060. The 124060 wears the best on my flat 6.5" wrist. While technically larger, I find the 21mm bracelet balances it better and the slimmer case is much more visually appealing to me. I am not one of the people that despises the 11 square case and would have no problem owning just one of those if it was the only option, but the slight changes to the 12 are big improvements to me personally (other than the movement).

The 116600 was probably my favorite of all, but I actually would have preferred longer lugs on the case like the five digit SD's. It wore like a stack of quarters on me. Loved looking at it, hated wearing it, moved it.

EDIT: If you can wear a 42mm 2500 PO, I don't think you would have any issue with a 41mm Sub.
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 am

MDF wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:36 am
This is mainly why I have become such a Tudor freak, I really love a lot of their watches and the prices are fairly reasonable new and quite a bargain used. I already have the new no-date Sub. I would still love to get probably 3 Rolex models in the future (Explorer II Polar, GMTII Pepsi, Blue OP 41 can’t afford Daytona) but I’m not sure it will be worth it for me unless I can get them from an AD or at MSRP. For now I am really trying to just enjoy what I have.
Rolex increasingly makes fewer watches that I would want to own at any price. Pepsi GMT2 on Jubilee, Daytona, 36mm DayDate, 36mm DJ on Jubilee with the new adjustable clasp, 36mm OP with the Tiffany dial, and the one that I may actually buy at some point -- the 36mm Explorer 1. Beyond those, I don't think Rolex makes a watch that I would keep if someone gave it to me. Not because they're bad watches or ugly designs. They're just getting bigger and bigger. A five digit Sub barely fits on my wrist, so a 41mm version isn't going to work. The 42mm Explorer was so big on me that the salesman agreed that I should forgot about that model, and that was back when they had to fight for sales.

I really like the modern solid bracelet on my Daytona, so I suspect that the new EXP1 would be a great watch. I wouldn't buy new, because I can't and I won't drive 4 hours just to spend $8,000 on a watch, but maybe used.

Regarding Tudor, I'm increasingly interested. Especially now that they have the knockoff glidelock on the new BB. Even so, I really enjoy the silky smooth feel of all my Rolex references, and Tudor currently lacks that. It's hard to put my finger on what it is, but the backs of Rolex cases and the insides of the bracelets feel almost like they have baby powder on them, and Tudor doesn't.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:48 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:39 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 am
Chocodove wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I'd really like a blue Sub (either TT or YG) and hunting down a five digit that's worth adding to my collection seems like a giant PITA, so I'm thinking about the more modern ones. Maybe I'll start saving up after I'm not longer paying my divorce attorney so much money.
I have owned several of the 11 series Subs, a ceramic SD, and now have the 124060. The 124060 wears the best on my flat 6.5" wrist. While technically larger, I find the 21mm bracelet balances it better and the slimmer case is much more visually appealing to me. I am not one of the people that despises the 11 square case and would have no problem owning just one of those if it was the only option, but the slight changes to the 12 are big improvements to me personally (other than the movement).

The 116600 was probably my favorite of all, but I actually would have preferred longer lugs on the case like the five digit SD's. It wore like a stack of quarters on me. Loved looking at it, hated wearing it, moved it.

EDIT: If you can wear a 42mm 2500 PO, I don't think you would have any issue with a 41mm Sub.
My PO, or the similarly sized Speedmaster Pro, is the absolute max sized watch I can wear. The center portion of the end link that sticks out is basically right at the edge of my wrist so the bracelet drops straight down. If i wasn't weird about selling stuff, I'd sell it and buy a BB58 or the newer version due to the size.

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 am
Regarding Tudor, I'm increasingly interested. Especially now that they have the knockoff glidelock on the new BB. Even so, I really enjoy the silky smooth feel of all my Rolex references, and Tudor currently lacks that. It's hard to put my finger on what it is, but the backs of Rolex cases and the insides of the bracelets feel almost like they have baby powder on them, and Tudor doesn't.
You should really give the Pelagos 39 a try. You will love it IMO. Perfect size, great bracelet, great styling in my view.
Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:39 am
I remember trying one on (before the craze and before they discontinued it, when you could buy one at a discount) and passed for the same reason.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:13 am

Baffo wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 am

I remember trying one on (before the craze and before they discontinued it, when you could buy one at a discount) and passed for the same reason.
I got mine BNIB and fully stickered, with card dated the day I bought it, for under $8k via grey. Those were the days...
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:19 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:13 am
Baffo wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 am

I got mine BNIB and fully stickered, with card dated the day I bought it, for under $8k via grey. Those were the days...
I remember when Wu had one for sale. Complete, mint, unpolished, etc. I think he was asking $6700 and I passed because it seemed to expensive. I did at the time look closely at the dimensions and you're right that it was taller than a 16600 and i think the lug-to-lug was shorter. In any case, it something about it made me think that he would wear like a puck on my wrist, more so than my already puck like 16600.

The ceramic 40mm SD seems to have come down in price. They're still expensive but I remember them being something insane like $18k+. Now they seem down to just being as overpriced as any basic semi-modern SS sport Rolex.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:51 am

charger02 wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
R@cerx wrote:

I like this post. You would have spent 4k over 20 years and what would be the value of those watches? My guess is they would be worthless. Trash. And there is a lot of data on ebay to back up the value of an old watch from an unknown manufacturer. Now how much is that Rolex worth 20 years later?

A lot of Rolex hate and I understand it but you can't deny they hold their value pretty well. Halios? Not so much.
Not everyone buys a watch as an investment. Most things depreciate. If I wear a watch for 5 years and cost me $1000 and it craps out I can buy another. Or if I just want another, let’s say I sold that watch for $250. Maybe a little more depending on condition and going rate. Well then it costs me $750 to wear a watch for 5 years years. That’s $150 a year if we break it down.

In no way am I disparaging Rolex. Or any luxury brand. I was just replying to a post about it being reliable and not needing service for 20 years and that you don’t need to spend $10 grand or more to do that. That’s all.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:52 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:51 am
Not everyone buys a watch as an investment.
+1

It's certainly nice to know that your investment in a luxury watch is relatively safe if circumstances/tastes change and you decide to sell, but I wouldn't make that the primary reason for purchasing a watch. I have to wear the watch and look at it on the wrist, and if that doesn't give me pleasure then I don't see the point.

I do wonder how many watch enthusiasts buy Rolex solely because of the brand's value retention. The quality is obviously there, but there are many other high-quality luxury watches that aren't nearly so rabidly sought after.

A serious question to the Rolex enthusiasts on the forum:

If the brand lost value like most other luxury watches, would you still be as interested in buying one? Would you still be willing to put up with the endless wait lists and other Rolex dealer shenanigans? Is the primary attraction the design, quality, durability, or is the big draw the fact that you can get your money out - or make a profit - when you sell?

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:07 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:52 am

Is the primary attraction the design, quality, durability, or is the big draw the fact that you can get your money out - or make a profit - when you sell?
Former for me. I was flipping them at a loss way before the craziness started. I will always need a Sub or SD in my collection, as they define what a dive watch is to me. Reliable, accurate, and can take a beating. I never baby them.
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:27 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:52 am
tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:51 am
Not everyone buys a watch as an investment.
A serious question to the Rolex enthusiasts on the forum:

If the brand lost value like most other luxury watches, would you still be as interested in buying one?
Yes. I never sell, so value retention only means paying my wife more to go away. And I never buy unless I'm fine setting the money on fire. Sure, it's nice to know that my daughter will inherit a box of very desirable watches when I die, but the value is more of a hassle than anything else.

My first couple Rolex were bought used under the assumption that they'd lose value relative to inflation. Not as much value as an Omega or JLC, but this recent 10x MSRP stuff genuinely sucks.

Other watches that I'm mulling over buying are a JLC Reverso of some sort and a cool dial Grand Seiko spring drive. Not exactly money winners in the grand scheme of things. However, the fact remains -- my IWC Mark XV has hands that are flaking, a bad crown, and a weird sounding movement while my older GMT2 has a slightly faded bezel and some scratches.