Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
unsub073
Name: chris

Re: Doxa Sub 300T Clive Cussler

Post by unsub073 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:38 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:36 am
User “Snulle” did a photoshop of this watch with an orange dial. I think it looks much better than the beige.
The faded orange dial looks tons better.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon May 22, 2023 9:39 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:21 am
https://youtu.be/Eiky2J1OERU
Oh, OK - I just watched the video.

One question I have for Doxa is why in the heck did they ever release a watch to the review community that had a (admittedly small) cosmetic defect?

I mean, these reviewers are all known for their macro photography. The average consumer wouldn't probably ever notice it, but it sticks out in the Time and Tide macro shots.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon May 22, 2023 10:12 am

Dunno. I like the tribute idea and love the weathered case, but if I’m feeling Dirk Hoppy Pitt I’ll just go orange dial.

Frankly, I’m tempted to go turquoise dial at the next big Joma sale.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Mon May 22, 2023 11:18 am

I think it looks awful, different yes, nice no. Reminds me of Omega and their 007 watches and Bremont and their hint of aircraft in every watch, a bit tacky and aimed at fans of the books and films or aircraft rather than fans of watches.
OK they need new ideas and it's not a bad idea but could they not stick to a little logo of some sort in the bottom left quarter on an orange dial, where they usually put an interesting little picture.
Personally a tribute to Jacques Cousteau with maybe a little picture of his ship Calypso would have been far more interesting historically. Maybe that's Doxa's next project :grin:
Andy :uj:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Mon May 22, 2023 11:37 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:58 am
aikiman44 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:17 am
IMG_6548.jpeg

This also looks better.
Is this yours?

Not mine
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon May 22, 2023 3:15 pm

I understand the concept, but really, how long can Doxa keep producing "tribute" and "special edition" watches? I'd much rather spend my money on the real deal vintage. JMO.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon May 22, 2023 6:12 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:39 am
to the review community that had a (admittedly small) cosmetic defect?

I mean, these reviewers are all known for their macro photography. The average consumer wouldn't probably ever notice it, but it sticks out in the Time and Tide macro shots.
That isn't that big of a deal. They sold watches to the public with no paint on the sides of the hands. Hell I bought one back then. :crybaby: :cheers:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue May 23, 2023 4:00 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:12 pm
Ryeguy wrote:

That isn't that big of a deal. They sold watches to the public with no paint on the sides of the hands. Hell I bought one back then. :crybaby: :cheers:
Crazy. I remember the GMT’s with the misprinted rehaut’s a while back. If I remember correctly, Doxa refused to admit / correct those issues.

I really enjoy my 300T, but there sure are a lot of skeletons in the brand’s recent history.

I’m just left thinking, “if the press release watch has a visible defect, what are the chances mine will be OK?”

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 23, 2023 6:28 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:00 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Crazy. I remember the GMT’s with the misprinted rehaut’s a while back. If I remember correctly, Doxa refused to admit / correct those issues.

I really enjoy my 300T, but there sure are a lot of skeletons in the brand’s recent history.

I’m just left thinking, “if the press release watch has a visible defect, what are the chances mine will be OK?”
One of my friends owned a GMT with the misprint. Rick told him he must have dropped the watch that is why it doesn’t lineup.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

One of my friends owned a GMT with the misprint. Rick told him he must have dropped the watch that is why it doesn’t lineup.
Is Rick the guy who started Syncron?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue May 23, 2023 7:31 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Is Rick the guy who started Syncron?
Yes, Rick is the guy behind the Synchron re-animation.

Too funny on the "dropped the watch" accusation. Maybe he dropped it from so high that the ink actually shifted on the GMT scale. That would be pretty cool to see.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue May 23, 2023 9:08 am

hoppyjr wrote:

It’s a great video right Hoppy, and actually makes us like the watch
even more I think. :thumbsup: :) I just love that it’s something different, we
are all talking about it here, and it honors such an exceptional man. :)

Thanks so much Hop, along with ALL of you guys for joining in and
giving your thoughts !!!

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 am

Frankly love it. I wouldn't actually buy one though. I'll beat my own watch up thx. Lol
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Tue May 23, 2023 10:17 am

I got to see this in person at the Doxa event. It kooks better in person. The case finishing is interesting and does work with the narrative of an explorer's watch. I wonder if this is the new fauxtina we end up complaining about but I liked it on this watch. The case back is amazing and the side of the bezel is engraved as well and well done. It looks fantastic on the nato. I felt that the dial color is too monochromatic and too busy. The lighting was horrible at the venue but am pretty sure Clive's name was on the engraving on the side of the bezel so they could have left it off the dial. A different dial color could have served this watch better. I liked it better than the initial feedback I had heard about it before seeing it in person. As far the the venue, the NY Yacht Club "clubhouse" is an amazing place. I think I was at this venue for a political fund raiser years ago and really got to enjoy it this time. I can't imagine who you have to be to be a member in this club. https://nyyc.org/44th-st.-clubhouse
Regards
Barry

hoppyjr
HJ

Doxa Sub 300T Clive Cussler

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 23, 2023 1:14 pm

Mark from Long Island Watch did a video unboxing his personal one.

Here are screen shots, not edited.

I really love it. While an aged orange dial would have been cool, this is still a great piece.

Since I share a birthday with Clive, I’m kinda tempted. The 7, 15, and 31 dates are in red.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue May 23, 2023 2:23 pm

That does look good.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue May 23, 2023 2:24 pm

hoppyjr wrote:Mark from Long Island Watch did a video unboxing his personal one.

I really love it. While an aged orange dial would have been cool, this is still a great piece.

Since I share a birthday with Clive, I’m kinda tempted. The 7, 15, and 31 dates are in red.

If it lasts five minutes beyond the initial delivery, I give it less than two weeks with you :lol:
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 23, 2023 2:28 pm

Chocodove wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:Mark from Long Island Watch did a video unboxing his personal one.

If it lasts five minutes beyond the initial delivery, I give it less than two weeks with you :lol:
I love it….BUT, I see an issue that bugged many on the Sinn EZM 1.1 release: The lume plots are not centered between the hour markers. Maybe it’s supposed to be that way for “vintage appeal” but the OCD part of me doesn’t like that detail.

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Tue May 23, 2023 2:57 pm

Ryeguy wrote:User “Snulle” did a photoshop of this watch with an orange dial. I think it looks much better than the beige.
That’s the one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue May 23, 2023 3:04 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

I love it….BUT, I see an issue that bugged many on the Sinn EZM 1.1 release: The lume plots are not centered between the hour markers. Maybe it’s supposed to be that way for “vintage appeal” but the OCD part of me doesn’t like that detail.

Good catch. That would bother me as well, and yes, I remember that on my 1.1.
- Todd

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Tue May 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

One question I have for Doxa is why in the heck did they ever release a watch to the review community that had a (admittedly small) cosmetic defect?

Are you talking about the paint chip on the second hand or something else?
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Tue May 23, 2023 4:58 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:28 pm
Chocodove wrote:

That just gives it a “handmade” quality…but I’m supposing the hands who applied the markers may also read with their hands.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 23, 2023 5:30 pm

Cortexihearing wrote:Thanks for giving us Amazing info.
Can’t wait for you to start spamming us!

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue May 23, 2023 5:40 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:18 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Are you talking about the paint chip on the second hand or something else?
The chipped paint.

I know it is probably completely invisible to the average buyer, but I would’ve made certain professional reviewers watches were 100% perfect. Those guys are known for their photography.

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:02 pm

I know I’m late to the party on this, but I’ll say it anyways. This looks absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing, Tom.