Non-Watch People Wearing WIS Watches

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
namor
Name: Seth

Non-Watch People Wearing WIS Watches

Post by namor » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:35 pm

I can never understand somebody who wears a notable watch but is completely ignorant about what they have. Recently i came across two examples of this:

I was in a business meeting with several people, most of whom I'd only just met. The guy sitting across from me was about 40 years old, and had on a ceramic Submariner (116610). At about 2:10, I looked at his watch and it was set to 11:35. After a while I realized it was running and keeping time, just not in any timezone known to man. At a break I mentioned how nice his watch was, but was curious about why it was set oddly. His answer: "Oh, I just put it on in the morning, and take it off after work. I don't bother setting it."

I met with a doctor this week, and noticed right away he had on an Apple Watch Ultra with the orange strap. While not to everyone's tastes, its still a rare choice for a watch - I see tons of Apple Watches, but this was the first Ultra I've seen in the wild. After the exam, i asked him how he liked the Ultra - he replied "oh it that what it is? I just know I can wear it on my Peloton and can get it wet."

I'm not saying you have to be expert to wear a watch...but WTF?
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: Non-Watch People Wearing WIS Watches

Post by Chocodove » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:42 pm

My Optometrist had an Ultra on the other week and I asked him about it because if I was ever going to get a smartwatch it would be that. He said he chose that one because it had the largest screen he could find and wanted to protect his eyes. Totally legit answer given the circumstances :lol:

Re the guy wearing the Sub literally as just jewelry…I guess that’s where we are these days :puke:
- Todd

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:23 pm

I’ve run into people like the Rolex guy —- I asked my one friend to take off the watch and give it to me. I carry a cloth with me at all times. I wiped the filth off the watch and set it for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 am

On the opposite hand, it’s always fun finding WIS in the wild. Last week I was sitting on a plane during boarding and a guy randomly pointed and said “nice 125” to the speedy. Took me aback!
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:54 am

I get that these things are jewelry that tell time, but there's no excuse for not setting it, that's idiotic.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 am

jswing wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:54 am
I get that these things are jewelry that tell time, but there's no excuse for not setting it, that's idiotic.
Pure status symbol... why most people buy them anyway.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:53 am

demer03 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 am
On the opposite hand, it’s always fun finding WIS in the wild. Last week I was sitting on a plane during boarding and a guy randomly pointed and said “nice 125” to the speedy. Took me aback!
A guy caught me off guard with “How do you like your Luminor?” waiting in line for Kona Ice after my son’s lacrosse game last wknd. He just discovered PAMs and didn’t know what a Dot dial meant. Lol

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:04 am

my wife sometimes just picks a watch from my boxes that match her outfit for the day (usually because of the strap).
she's always telling me about strange guys coming up and asking her about the watch she was wearing that day, who seem really disappointed when she just laughs and shrugs; on planes, in lounges, in meetings. she finds you guys dorky yet endearing.

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:25 am

namor wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:35 pm
I can never understand somebody who wears a notable watch but is completely ignorant about what they have.
Because some people are clueless, have too much money to spend and think they are cool because that is what people are wearing on social media. :rolleyes:

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:44 am

DEMO wrote:
namor wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:35 pm
I can never understand somebody who wears a notable watch but is completely ignorant about what they have.
Because some people are clueless, have too much money to spend and think they are cool because that is what people are wearing on social media. :rolleyes:
It’s their money, their watches, and their ugly socks…

They are among us and there’s nothing we can do but laugh.

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:48 am

You know what would be fascinating too Seth?! ..Is to see what the actual percentage
of people who are real watch people, versus people like this. ;) I would imagine that
there are a ton of people that know nothing about the watches they are wearing. :grin:

It's funny on one hand, but in a way, almost kind of sad. Because I think most people
are missing out on just how amazing this hobby actually is. I often think about it to
tell the truth, because I have always had people in my family not understand the
whole watch thing.

Yet they all want, or know about Rolex and Apple watches.

Such a terrific topic sir, thanks so very very much for bringing it up !!!

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 am

My friend is similar to the Sub guy, but in his case he purchased a GMT iiC. Every time I see him, the watch is usually 10 - 15 minutes off. He never sets it and just laughs saying if he needs to know the time he just checks his phone.

He purchased the Rolex because his father wears one and the guys he golfs with wear them. It is purely a status symbol worn to "fit in".

I have often thought one it would have been an awesome secret business deal for Seiko to have licensed SpringDrive to Rolex. It is my opinion that most Rolex buyers aren't WIS and would've been perfectly fine with a hybrid mechanical / electrical movement that was more accurate than a pure mechanical movement.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:14 am

I’ve run into the Rolex type guy on business travel several times. I discreetly complemented a guy in line at an airport once on his BLNR by saying “nice GMT” and he said: “What? It’s a Rolex.” I said yes. I have the same one at home and love the GMT complication for travel. He looked at me confused and said “I don’t know anything about it. My wife bought it for me.”
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:40 am

demer03 wrote:
This is true too. i was on an aiurplane and a young guy, maybr 25, was boarding and saw my Sea Dweller. He stopped and showed me his new Sub-C with sheer delight on his face and talked for a minute or two before he had to get seated. Definitely knew his Rolex info.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:01 am

demer03 wrote:
That's only happened once to me, and I was wearing the sinn arktis when I was in the Finger Lakes, and the wine person working the winery knew what it was, and asked a bunch of questions about it.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:03 am

I think even if I wasn't into watches that I'm OCD on things enough that things need to be aligned perfectly and I would think that would translate to proper time set.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am

We have a guy here at work that has a Christopher Ward. He bought it because of a Facebook ad. He knows nothing about it. But he does love it.

I work mainly all engineers and most of them are not into watches, even the ones they are wearing. You might meet a gear queer once in a while but rarely.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am
We have a guy here at work that has a Christopher Ward. He bought it because of a Facebook ad. He knows nothing about it. But he does love it.

I work mainly all engineers and most of them are not into watches, even the ones they are wearing. You might meet a gear queer once in a while but rarely.
that's pretty funny Terry because I would assume those are exactly the type of guys that would get a kick out of this stuff

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:47 am

tyd450 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am

that's pretty funny Terry because I would assume those are exactly the type of guys that would get a kick out of this stuff
Not in my experience. Even when I worked at corporate with fellow engineers, only one person was kind of a WIS. I helped him pick up a GP Seahawk. It is the only watch he bought since then.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 pm

When I was in the recovery room after my first colonoscopy, the nurse asked me if I was a Tennessee fan because I was wearing an orange faced watch. It was my Doxa DWL Pro. She then ordered me to fart.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:54 pm

Henryj wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 pm
When I was in the recovery room after my first colonoscopy, the nurse asked me if I was a Tennessee fan because I was wearing an orange faced watch. It was my Doxa DWL Pro. She then ordered me to fart.
hahahaha

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 pm

I was at a worldwide service conference around 2010/2011 and came across two interesting watches, the service director from Egypt was wearing an AP Royal Oak and the one of the European (don’t remember which country) guys had on a Tag Heuer V4, I didn’t know too much about it except it was belt driven, we discussed it a bit and he asked about my Carrera Chronograph, we drank some beers, did conference stuff, drank some more beers and on the last days he told me it was fake and showed me the website he got “all” his watches from.

Then asked me if mine was fake.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:36 pm

james80 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 pm
I was at a worldwide service conference around 2010/2011 and came across two interesting watches, the service director from Egypt was wearing an AP Royal Oak and the one of the European (don’t remember which country) guys had on a Tag Heuer V4, I didn’t know too much about it except it was belt driven, we discussed it a bit and he asked about my Carrera Chronograph, we drank some beers, did conference stuff, drank some more beers and on the last days he told me it was fake and showed me the website he got “all” his watches from.

WTF?!?
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

AranaWhite
Name: Cameron

Post by AranaWhite » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:12 am

Wario406 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:36 pm
james80 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 pm

WTF?!?
That's a good, sad, story J. I could see it though, you get it or you don't. Fakes annoy me but that wasn't always so. A guy could be a poser and equally as ignorant as the pretentious one who sneers at a fake and can't appreciate why it could be justified. Fakes are getting better and I'll bet that was a ringer.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:29 pm

Henryj wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 pm
OMG I get my first colonoscopy on the 24th :shock:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯