Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Grand Seiko Evolution 9 Diver (SLGA015) Review

Post by ezcheese » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:03 pm

Grand Seiko Evolution 9 Diver (SLGA015)

It has been over a decade since I’ve done a watch review. Hell, it’s been over a decade since I bought a watch other than 2 recent G-Shock purchases! But I thought I would do an in-depth review of my new Grand Seiko.

Spring Drive

I have always thought the Spring Drive movement was something special. I did a presentation in business school about the spring drive movement and I will actually do another quick presentation at work for my group soon on the subject of innovation using the Spring Drive as an example.

Sure, there are improvements being made to traditional mechanical watch movements every year, with manufacturers adding new interesting complications or using newly devised materials for certain parts to help the longevity or time-keeping accuracy of the movement, but nothing comes close to the Spring Drive when it comes to harnessing a mechanical mainspring and using direct gears to drive the hands of a watch while enabling quartz-level accuracy. Enter: Spring Drive.

So, how is the Spring Drive movement different from a mechanical movement or a quartz movement? It’s kind of a hybrid. From Seiko:

What controls the accuracy of a mechanical watch is the balance spring, a part of the speed-regulating unit, called the balance.
This part influences the accuracy to some extent because it is made of metal which expands and contracts with changes in temperature.

The Spring Drive is completely different from a mechanical watch in this speed-regulating unit.
The Spring Drive is powered by a mainspring, but adopts an electronic speed-regulating unit comprising a generator, IC, and crystal oscillator.

In a little more detail, at the end of the train wheel that moves the hands, a series of speed increasing wheels with a glide wheel are provided.
The unwinding power of the mainspring rotates the glide wheel, generating electricity in the coil to drive the crystal oscillator and IC.
The IC controls the spinning speed of the glide wheel by applying and releasing the electromagnetic brake, while comparing the accuracy of the electric signals generated by the crystal oscillator and the spinning speed of the glide wheel.

In addition, by making the energy transfer of the train wheel efficient and adopting an IC that drives with low power consumption, power reserve far exceeding normal mechanical watches is realized.
An unprecedented drive system which offers quartz accuracy.
This is the Spring Drive.

Of course we know that some manufacturers are working with different types of materials for the balance such as silicone in order to reduce some of the variability that comes with changes in temperature.

Let’s look at the particular Spring Drive movement found in this Grand Seiko, the Caliber 9RA5. It’s Seiko’s latest iteration of the Spring Drive movement, and with it comes the longest power reserve for an automatically winding Spring Drive to date; 120 hours to be exact. From the Grand Seiko site:

Caliber 9RA5 has an accuracy rate of ±10 seconds per month and utilizes the Offset Magic Lever to reduce the movement’s thickness by 0.8mm. By moving the position of the crown further back, the watch’s center of gravity is lowered and a perfect fit on the wrist results. The Dual-size Barrels are of differing sizes and arranged to allow for expanded capacity while conserving space. This achieves a 120 hour power reserve. The One-piece Center Bridge guarantees the movement’s strength, durability and shock resistance. Together, these innovative technologies define the next-generation Spring Drive movement, Caliber 9RA5.

Besides the increase in power reserve for the automatic winding version, this iteration brings an increased strength and shock resistance, and supposedly some new thermo compensation tech, which I haven’t read about definitively from Seiko, but has been mentioned in some discussions about this movement on the internet.

I don’t think I want to test the shock resistance, so this watch won’t be coming along to the shooting range or be adorning my wrist as I work out.

Grand Seiko

I have been a fan of Grand Seiko for a long time. Having never owned one before (the closest I’ve been was the Seiko Marine Master 300 SBDX001, which is powered by an undecorated Grand Seiko movement, the venerable 8L35) I had pretty high expectations, and I haven’t been disappointed in regards to quality. There’s an overall presence with modern Grand Seikos that conveys a “big league” presence.

Evolution 9

Evolution 9 is Seiko’s new Grand Seiko design language. It gets pretty convoluted, with 3 guiding design principles and subsequently 9 design elements based on those 3 principles.

The 3 guiding principles are:
Evolution in aesthetics
Evolution in legibility
And evolution in wearing comfort.

In sticking with these 3 higher level principles, you can see that Seiko has made a lot of small changes that add to pretty significant differences.

An example I noticed when watching a YouTube review of this watch, the presenter compares the E9 to one of the other titanium Spring Drive powered Grand Seiko divers and with the watches placed side by side, you can clearly see some of the new changes. From the font and size of the numbers on the bezel to the overall layout of the dial and hands, to the crown position, it’s apparent that this is definitely an evolution (not a revolution) that helps it to stand out as the next generation of Grand Seiko divers.

The Dial

In recent years, there have been several Grand Seikos with exceptionally stunning dials. Examples are the Snowflake, Spring, Whirlpool, Iwate, Kira-zuri, Shadow and White Birch (just to name a few). The dial on the Evolution 9 diver is referred to as the black stream and it is yet another beautiful dial to add to the list.

The black stream, otherwise knows as the Kuroshio Current, is one of the largest ocean streams in the world and flows north of Japan to the Arctic North Pacific. This provides the theme for the Evolution 9 diver. Subtle in its nature, you only get a glimpse of the texture when the light hits the dial just right. In other circumstances, the dial appears to just be black and the texture disappears.

Moving on from the texture of the dial, we see evidence of the Evolution 9 design language as is probably best depicted in the side by side picture above. The orientation of the power reserve on the E9 has been flipped compared to previous generations of GS divers and it indicates 5 days rather than 3 on older models.

The hands are very easy to read at a glance and consist of brushed surfaces with plenty of that long-lasting Seiko lume. The minute and second hands also reach all the way to the minute markers, which I very much appreciate.The second hand has the lume pip on the back side, which is blacked to provide more contrast as it glides around the dial. The longer part of the second hand appears to be polished.

The hour markers are all polished around the edges and give off a nice shimmer when the light hits them. Interestingly, even with the date window placed in the 3:00 position, Seiko added a lume pip to the right on the chapter ring.

The Bezel

Seiko is now happy enough with their ceramic solution to provide the bezel on the E9 in ceramic. The operation of the unidirectional bezel is nice and smooth, providing a satisfying and accurate 120 clicks.

I haven’t mentioned Zaratsu polishing yet, but it’s Seiko’s hand polishing technique that requires a good amount of skill to execute. This watch is chock full of zaratsu polishing, including the teeth of the bezel.

The Case

Speaking of Zaratsu polishing, the case itself is full of alternating brushed and zaratsu polished surfaces. The drilled lugs are quite svelte for a 43.8mm case and contain both brushed and polished surfaces. The caseback is nothing to write home about, but at least you get the little GS lion!

The signed screw down crown is easy to operate and sits pretty snuggly into the case, which is another difference I noticed between it and the other GS diver in the comparison pic up above. The crown on that other one sticks out quite a bit more. I believe that the use of the magic lever in the 9RA5 movement enables this.

The Bracelet

I’m not a bracelet guy, but I’m giving this a shot. It’s nicely done and offers a lot of flexibility with the sliding micro-adjustment. For my ~7.65 inch wrist, I found that keeping it one click from fully engaged is pretty much perfect for me, so there was no need to remove any links to get a good fit. But most people with smaller wrists would need to remove a link or 2. The clasp is signed with a GS stamp. I will be looking for a good alternative strap for this one in the future though.

Overall Impressions

Overall, I am pretty enthralled with this watch. It’s got a lot of presence on the wrist and one of the big reasons I went after this rather than something with more name recognition *cough* is so that I can enjoy it without letting on to “normal” people just how much it cost. Only a watch enthusiast would have an idea. Very similar reasons why we got a Land Cruiser I guess! Car people know what you have, but Joe shmo on the street just thinks its another Toyota. Anyway, if you have the $11,600 needed to play, I would say go for it, you won’t be disappointed!

Specs:

Exterior: High-intensity titanium
Case back: Screw case back
Glass Material: Sapphire crystal
Glass Coating: Anti-reflective coating on inner surface
LumiBrite: LumiBrite on hands, index(es) and bezel
Case size: Diameter 43.8mm Lug-to-lug 51.5mm Thickness 13.8mm
Band width: 23mm
Clasp type: Three-fold clasp with secure lock & push button release, solid & slide adjuster

Caliber no.: 9RA5
Movement Type: Spring Drive
Accuracy: ±10 seconds per month (±0.5 second per day)

Magnetic resistance: 4,800 A/m

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

watchdawg
Name: Vic

Re: Grand Seiko Evolution 9 Diver (SLGA015) Review

Post by watchdawg » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:36 pm

Great review thanks for posting.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Excellent review and congrats on that beauty
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:24 am

Thanks guys!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Post by OrangeSport » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:16 am

Really interesting and well written review of a very special watch. Thanks for taking the time.

Enjoy your watch!

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:17 pm

Looks like an amazing watch. Would have been nice to see them change the bracelet clasp to something newer as this one appears to be the same one used on the MM300 watches?

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:07 am

Mr_Pacman wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:17 pm
Looks like an amazing watch. Would have been nice to see them change the bracelet clasp to something newer as this one appears to be the same one used on the MM300 watches?
yes, I believe it is pretty much the same clasp mechanism that is found on the MM300.
I'm not really a bracelet guy, so as soon as I find some good strap alternatives, the bracelet will go in the box!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:57 am

Well Derek, let me just say that you haven’t lost the touch with doing
your reviews. :excited: :salute: Or skipped a beat I don’t think. It’s remarkable !
And somehow you made me become even more fascinated in Grand
Seiko than I was before the review. Which is really something to tell
the truth because I thought the brand as well as technology was out
of this world cool beforehand. However, I loved your lessons on the
technology of the Spring Drive. As well as detailed overview of each
and every detail of this stunner. :)

You make it feel like I, or rather all of us have the watch in hand, or
here on our wrists. ;) ..Yup, I can see why you are enthralled with
this one. It’s outstanding, just as the review was ! Thank you sir !!!

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:51 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:57 am
your reviews. :excited: :salute: Or skipped a beat I don’t think. It’s remarkable !

Thanks Tom!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:21 am

ezcheese wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:51 pm
AtomicTom wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:57 am

Thanks Tom!

:thumbsup: You got it sir. ..And thank YOU once again honestly ! ;) :)

DiverChris
Name: Chris

Post by DiverChris » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:00 pm

Fantastic and detailed review! Thanks for sharing!

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:16 am

Fantastic review on a very cool watch…

Thanks Derek…

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:04 am