My new Spinnaker. I'm distressed!

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
colonel
Name: Harold Miller

My new Spinnaker. I'm distressed!

Post by colonel » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 am

As I progress with my watch fetish I get more and more into unsual and interesting designs, and away from the boring forum fashion. This is my second Spinakker, and it's a unique and unusual piece, as well as comfortable to wear and clear to read.
Spinnaker is a popular "micro-brand", turning out good value watches on familiar themes but with unusual twists. Distressed models are a minority pursuit, but getting a watch that looks worn has its benefits, including not worrying about every mark and scratch from day one.
Spinnaker have chosen a cushion design, which I love as a small wrist owner. They have presense but short lug to lug. In this case an advertised 44mm case size but only a 48mm lug to lug. Perfect on my 6.7" wrist.
The value from Spinnaker comes in the case and its clearly on display here. The sweeping sides do not have chamfering but interestingly have two steps down, which can be seen when looking closely. The design is wrist hugging with a flat polished screw in back, the only polished piece.
The face is burgundy and uniquely scratched, with clear large pips and good lume. The hands are clear and have plenty of strong lume, and impressively there is some small motelling of lume on the hands and face pips to complete the distressed theme. The date is a clear white font on black background with a silver metal border - excellent, someone gets clear dates at Spinnaker.
In contrast to the cheap price, there is a glare coated sapphire box crystal, and a lovely thin classic bezel with Alu insert. Again lightly marked in the theme of the watch. One of my ADHD issues is misaligned bezel, and not only is this perfecr but the bezel turning action is great, stiff, precise and nicely noisey 😀. The screw down signed crown is large and grippy with the Spinnaker logo.
So apparently the case and bracelet are aged with a short acid bath. There are no scratches but it is dull and has the effect of slightly uneven brushing when looking closely.
The case is rated to 200m and has the reliable workhorse Seiko NH35 movement. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but this is my 3rd Spinnaker and they are all under 7s, so I think Spinnaker is tuning them nicely and not just throwing them in.
Bracelets this cheap must be compromised, no ? Well yes that's true, but this is a jubilee bracelet with 5 separately articulating small links, and it's just very comfortable, no two ways about it. Jubilees curve much better with the wrist. It also looks good. Perhaps the compromise is the butterfly clasp, but the thin links make it easy to size well. I applaud Spinnaker's choice of bracelet. Not only does it look the vintage part, It's link bracelets at this level are not the best quality, and the jubilee just seems a step above.
For £275 with box sapphire, a well made 200m case, a decent bracelet and special time consuming treatment, any critism is slightly ridiculous. This is a lovely alternative watch design for something a bit different, can take one hell of a beating, comfortable to wear and is as cheap as chips. What's not to like ?

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Re: My new Spinnaker. I'm distressed!

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:45 am

There ‘s absolutely nothing not to like sir, holy cow ! :) :salute:

A lot of times you might see a brand do the distressed thing, but
they often times only focus on the dial. However, Spinnaker really
goes, as well as went all out on this marvel. :thumbsup: Because it’s not
every day we see the cases, bracelets, and even bezels given such
detail distressing wise. Boy oh boy, it is pretty outstanding ! And
honestly hard to be bang for the buck wise right?! ..Imagine the
result of another watch brand doing all of this? :o

That watch would be around, or even above $1000 right?! Plus I
don’t think another brand’s watch would look as nice. Because
Spinnaker really has a way of doing things in such a cool way.
I mean the dial alone, AND this price are both mesmerizing !
A SPECTACULAR Spinnaker congrats to you sir !!!

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:34 pm

This is VERY well done.

Congrats on that awesome watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:39 pm

I really like this brand. I've only had one so far. This gets plenty of wrist time.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:39 pm

funky design. congrats on it!